• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Time to put the January window permanently out of its misery?

Gutter Boy

Tim Sherwood
I've always thought the January window is a bad idea. It allows short-termist clubs and the financially doped to prosper at the expense of those that are well organised. But now the market itself has completely dried up. Even the panicking relegation clubs don't panic as much as they used to.

So shall we just call it quits? End the disruption and embarrassing media distractions. Emergency GK loans are already permitted at any point in the season, and every club now has 22-25 senior players and a full youth roster.

It's never even been any good. Look at BBC's list of the top 10 January transfers ever - very little to note:

Ashley Young (2007)
Asmir Begovic (2010)
Christophe Dugarry (2003)
Clint Dempsey (2007)
Daniel Sturridge (2013)
Gary Cahill (2012)
John Stones (2013)
Luis Suarez (2011)
Mikel Arteta (2005)
Nemanja Matic (2014)
Nemanja Vidic (2006)
Patrice Evra (2006)

While they are at it they need to cut the August crap too. The transfer window should be just June and July.

No works fine as it is imo - doesn't need to be chocked full of big money big name deals to be an important window for clubs in a variety of different circumstances.

Though without it it may mean clubs are less likely to get itchy trigger fingers if managers are underperforming

I've always thought the January window is a bad idea. It allows short-termist clubs and the financially doped to prosper at the expense of those that are well organised. But now the market itself has completely dried up. Even the panicking relegation clubs don't panic as much as they used to.

So shall we just call it quits? End the disruption and embarrassing media distractions. Emergency GK loans are already permitted at any point in the season, and every club now has 22-25 senior players and a full youth roster.

It's never even been any good. Look at BBC's list of the top 10 January transfers ever - very little to note:

Ashley Young (2007)
Asmir Begovic (2010)
Clint Dempsey (2007)
Daniel Sturridge (2013)
Gary Cahill (2012)
John Stones (2013)
Luis Suarez (2011)
Mikel Arteta (2005)
Nemanja Matic (2014)
Nemanja Vidic (2006)
Patrice Evra (2006)

While they are at it they need to cut the August crap too. The transfer window should be just June and July.

No changing the manager midyear either - if you sack them you have to hire from within (deputy, Player Manager etc). No loop holes not able to hire a designated manager from another club in a non manger job mid season (so you don't hire Guardiola as a kit man).

In reality is it not of benefit of the smaller clubs who cant afford a huge squad, those with one good player in each position or taking a risk on a manager. Those financially doped clubs can loan out a load of players with a recall or just have bloated squad. All the dross buy in January not really the big spenders.

Ashley Young (2007)
Asmir Begovic (2010)
Clint Dempsey (2007)
Daniel Sturridge (2013)
Gary Cahill (2012)
John Stones (2013)
Luis Suarez (2011)
Mikel Arteta (2005)
Nemanja Matic (2014)
Nemanja Vidic (2006)
Patrice Evra (2006)

I agree with your overall sentiment about the January window. However I don't think the quality of players signed should be any factor in this. IMO it is more that a mid-season window simply skews things even more in favour of the richer clubs. I think we ourselves took advantage of the January window under Redknapp during the "2 points from 8 games" season to guarantee our survival in the PL.

Summer window should definitely not overlap with the start of the season. These deals are conducted throughout the year, so the period for actually doing a deal doesn't need to be that long, and shouldn't mess with concentrating on playing games. There should be a mid-winter break from playing that coincides with the winter transfer window.

I agree with your overall sentiment about the January window. However I don't think the quality of players signed should be any factor in this. IMO it is more that a mid-season window simply skews things even more in favour of the richer clubs. I think we ourselves took advantage of the January window under Redknapp during the "2 points from 8 games" season to guarantee our survival in the PL.
So that's a good thing right?

So that's a good thing right?
Well it works to our advantage if we are in a precarious position near the bottom of the table as we have access to far more money than potential competitors at that end of the table. However it is likely to work to our disadvantage at the top end of the table, as our competitors up there have access to greater financial resources than we do.

Ashley Young (2007)
Asmir Begovic (2010)
Clint Dempsey (2007)
Daniel Sturridge (2013)
Gary Cahill (2012)
John Stones (2013)
Luis Suarez (2011)
Mikel Arteta (2005)
Nemanja Matic (2014)
Nemanja Vidic (2006)
Patrice Evra (2006)

Very little to note ?

Ashley Young - Became Villa's best player whilst he was there.
Asmir Begovic - Clubs number 1
Christophe Dugarry - Kept Birmingham in the Prem
Clint Dempsey - One of Fulham's most important players for years.
Daniel Sturridge - Went on to help Liverpool to second place. Made an immediate impact in his first half season too.
Gary Cahill - Part of Chelsea's first choice back for since signing.
John Stones - Went on to become a '£50m' player.
Luis Suarez - Became one of Liverpool's best ever players
Mikel Arteta - Another that became a very important player.
Nemanja Matic - Played a huge part in Chelsea winning the league.
Nemanja Vidic - A hugely improtant player for a very dominant Man Utd side for years.
Patrice Evra - See Vidic.

Some very important signings. Don't see the need for change myself.

Well it works to our advantage if we are in a precarious position near the bottom of the table as we have access to far more money than potential competitors at that end of the table. However it is likely to work to our disadvantage at the top end of the table, as our competitors up there have access to greater financial resources than we do.

No more of an advantage than the summer window is for the same reasons - transfers are part and parcel of the sport and I don't see a reason why clubs should only have one period a year to conduct their business.

Summer window should definitely not overlap with the start of the season. These deals are conducted throughout the year, so the period for actually doing a deal doesn't need to be that long, and shouldn't mess with concentrating on playing games. There should be a mid-winter break from playing that coincides with the winter transfer window.
Some leagues start before others though, would we get rid of teams to start later>?

Agree with that pretty much. I like the boxing day/holiday schedule as fan, but maybe a break in early Jan would be a good time. Make that the transfer window as you say and I suppose you could shove a few internationals matches in there too so that we don't go cold turkey!!

The only thing about the transfer windows that needs changing is the summer window, it needs to close before the season starts.

I agree, Having all summer to prepare your squad with new signings and pre-season training then after 3 or 4 games to then say f**k this I need a striker etc is just stupid. You should start with what you have prepared and have to deal with it

The January window did allow us to get Robbie Keane back and have the wonderful situation of effectively loaning him to Liverpool for 6 months in return for ~£8 million.

Very little to note ?

Ashley Young - Became Villa's best player whilst he was there.
Asmir Begovic - Clubs number 1
Christophe Dugarry - Kept Birmingham in the Prem
Clint Dempsey - One of Fulham's most important players for years.
Daniel Sturridge - Went on to help Liverpool to second place. Made an immediate impact in his first half season too.
Gary Cahill - Part of Chelsea's first choice back for since signing.
John Stones - Went on to become a '£50m' player.
Luis Suarez - Became one of Liverpool's best ever players
Mikel Arteta - Another that became a very important player.
Nemanja Matic - Played a huge part in Chelsea winning the league.
Nemanja Vidic - A hugely improtant player for a very dominant Man Utd side for years.
Patrice Evra - See Vidic.

Some very important signings. Don't see the need for change myself.

But that's in the entire 15 years since it was introduced. An essentially mid-table side was assembled

I would not have a transfer window at all, allow clubs to sign players when they want. I would have a maximum squad size of 25(as we do now) and no harvesting players like Chelsea do out on loan.

I would not have a transfer window at all, allow clubs to sign players when they want. I would have a maximum squad size of 25(as we do now) and no harvesting players like Chelsea do out on loan.
I think that would make it too easy for money doped clubs to torpedo their rivals at crucial times during the season.

Back