1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Time to outlaw the tactical foul?

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Spur of the moment, 18 Aug 2019.

1. Daisuk

Daisuk Steffen Iversen

Yeah, I was partly joking. It's annoying though. Should definitely be yellow card offenses at least.

2. Legohamster

Legohamster Terry Venables

No, we just need to get much better at it

Along with time wasting/killing the game/making the most of fouls - more so in Europe.

galeforce likes this.
  3. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Paul Stalteri

All of those things result in a game less entertaining and more annoying.

I want to enjoy watching footie rather than be obliged to suffer it.

4. Legohamster

Less annoying if you win....

5. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Scott Parker

The scum down the road used to be masters of the art back in the day, as I recall.

6. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Paul Stalteri

If that's all you care about, fine.

Pulisball for you then eh?

7. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Christian Ziege

Lol, is this a thread copied over from RAWK?

We are as good (bad?) as anyone at administering the 'tactical foul'.
    Stop whining people and deal with it!

8. Legohamster

Lol so dramatic - because there is no middle ground

Emirates Marketing Project play the some of the best football in the league, do you want to brand them pulisball as well?

And yes, I would accept that style of play depending on the situation

9. wiziwig

wiziwig Pascal Chimbonda

That may well be so but as things stand, the tactical foul is not even an automatic booking, with the PL refs seemingly to me at least, more lenient to it than in the other big Leagues across Europe?

I also remember many years back, debating the pass back tactic.. Goalie holds the ball then rolls it out to one his defenders.. An opponent approaches the defender with the ball, defender passes back to his goalkeeper..Once the opponent retreats , another defender usually on the other flank would sprint back towards his goalkeeper - rinse repeat..

Shankley's Liverpool teams were the originators of the repeated pass-back to the goalkeeper and they went on to win the trophies, many teams naturally copied them and, many football matches became stale , a hard watch..

I remember debating the pass-back, I also remember Liverpool and Arsenal fans telling me to stop whining ..

10. glorygloryeze

A foul is a foul. If it's yellow card offence that will attract a yellow card. Many fouls that result in yellow cards are tactical fouls so i think is it whining to talk about whether tactical fouls should get yellow cards or not (how does one even define a tactical foul?)
    We'd no doubt be right up there with City and other top teams when it comes to this so i honestly think we'd better be careful how much we go on about it tbh

11. galeforce

galeforce Teddy Sheringham

I do think this is another situation whereas the rules as written are actually fine, it's just that they are not being enforced correctly or consistently.

harr1984 likes this.
  12. FatBloke

FatBloke Tony Parks

This. I didn't realise that was happening, but it's awesome news. a few minutes off for a yellow card would really sort out a few things, professional fouls being one of them. Just another thing for the 3rd (4th?) official to keep track of, which shouldn't pose a problem in the professional game.

Not that it'll ever actually happen, of course. Bloody Luddites.

Bullet likes this.
  13. K.D.D.D.D.Soc

K.D.D.D.D.Soc Dean Richards

Surely anything that happens on the pitch is tactical? Fouls are either accidental where a player is beaten by pace or skill and mistimes the tackle or deliberate when a player cannot win the ball and hits player. If you think VAR is a problem defining tactical fouls will be a nightmare. Back in the dark ages your first tackle was usually an opportunity to hit your opponent and let them know you were the boss, not much of a tactical master-plan but it worked for me.

parklane1 and glorygloryeze like this.
  14. glorygloryeze

Indeed; i wonder what Fibreglass thinks of Lamela when it comes to tactical fouling?

glasgowspur likes this.
  15. johnola

johnola Pascal Chimbonda

Yeah the best change to football in my lifetime was to stop keepers picking up backpasses.

I also like the new goal kick freedoms though, as it’s improves the flow of the game.

wiziwig likes this.
  16. parklane1

parklane1 Barry Daines

Yep, a kind of " welcome to the game son" now if you want to avoid more of that go play on the other side of the pitch.

17. Modric THFC

Modric THFC Johnny Morrison

Against City when they had the ball for the entire game we committed 4 fouls.

18. scaramanga

scaramanga Terry Dyson Staff Member

Made them look before they turned too.

19. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Luka Modric

20. Raziel

Raziel Nick Barmby

Actually think this is one of those impossible to implement on the field, i.e. ref's interpretation opens a dangerous door.

My proposal would be retroactive analysis of fouls above a certain about (10/15/whatever), with some view of was the ball played, was it purely tactical/professional, pitch position (transition of play) with some penalty like suspension.

Video review is going to be part of the game, use it against teams that persistently break the rules as a part of their play style.