• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Things I don't get about football

Grays_1890

Colin Calderwood
Why do clubs wait till the last minute to do their transfer work and moan? Obviously a difference for the Levy's who use that to their advantage but for eaxample Liverpool have signed Keita a year before he comes to the club and secured a very good player, people moan about the deadline but you know when it is well in advance?

Why did Palace appoint a continental manager an AJAX man with an AJAX brand and ask him to play Big Sam football?

because the selling club hold the cards and its normally in their interest to give other bidders time to get involved, each deal is effectively an auction

long term planning

Don't understand the financial fair play rule or the January transfer window.

I don't understand why Liverpool are considered a force to be reckoned with. Unless they get funded that club is in danger of going the way of villa.

I don't understand west ham in any capacity

My thoughts

@Grays_1890 - you overpay if you bid early (because you have to make a bid that the selling club is reasonably convinced won't be bettered in the excessive time they have left), while that is an acceptable strategy for a single/critical player, it can't work over the dozens of players clubs buy over 3-5 year periods (If Spurs paid 2M over odds for every player we bought through our last 3-4 managers, it would be insane).

Re firing managers early, it's just Risk management, the cost of failing to stay in PL is just too high. It's easy to say, give them time, but relegation could end a clubs chances of ever being in top flight again. The stats prove btw, that changing the manager is a successful strategy, even if short term.

@Gazza Financial Fair Play is very simple, it's designed to ensure the big clubs already at the table of success, stay there and don't have to accommodate anyone else. It's not about leveling the playing field in anyway whatsoever ...

Re Pool, some kind of mass delusion that infects the media/pundits via the herd of ex-players that currently hold positions.

you overpay if you bid early (because you have to make a bid that the selling club is reasonably convinced won't be bettered in the excessive time they have left), while that is an acceptable strategy for a single/critical player, it can't work over the dozens of players clubs buy over 3-5 year periods (If Spurs paid 2M over odds for every player we bought through our last 3-4 managers, it would be insane).
The flipside of that is you get down to the last gasp of the window and your manager says "show me you weren't lying" and the fans say "get me a player, any player" and you are pragmatic and sensible for 364 days of the year but at that one weak moment... you are sat there with a pen in hand... looking at the paperwork... looking at your watch... waiting for a call to say "don't do it, we got someone else" but when all else falls through... you Sissoko all down your trouser leg and onto the carpet and have to wear those trousers for the next 3 years.

Why do clubs wait till the last minute to do their transfer work and moan? Obviously a difference for the Levy's who use that to their advantage but for eaxample Liverpool have signed Keita a year before he comes to the club and secured a very good player, people moan about the deadline but you know when it is well in advance?

Why did Palace appoint a continental manager an AJAX man with an AJAX brand and ask him to play Big Sam football?
Apparently what de boer agreed to in the interview was not what he tried to put into practice. How quickly he got rid at inter let's me give Palace a little leigh way.

Evolution not revolution, build towards a playing team with one or two signings. Then got the job and started demanding players and changed the tactics without the players.

What I don't understand about football is why we take our kids to matches in the hope they make the same bloody mistakes we did. When I was young I use to laugh at the old fart who help run my club, he didn't support any team but our club and England and never went to pro games, wish I'd followed his example, be a lot richer and would have avoided a lot of disappointments.

The flipside of that is you get down to the last gasp of the window and your manager says "show me you weren't lying" and the fans say "get me a player, any player" and you are pragmatic and sensible for 364 days of the year but at that one weak moment... you are sat there with a pen in hand... looking at the paperwork... looking at your watch... waiting for a call to say "don't do it, we got someone else" but when all else falls through... you Sissoko all down your trouser leg and onto the carpet and have to wear those trousers for the next 3 years.

Completely get it .. hence its

- Does it pay as a strategy for 1 player = no
- Over time = yes

Look at last window, the amount of money City/PSG/Barca were tinkling around, every club in the world was going to wait .. fudging Siggy went for 45M+, to get a player early was only going to happen if you badly overpaid up front, or like Foyth, the player made it clear he didn't want to go anywhere else.

I personally have resigned myself to the fact that we are not City, and transfer windows are largely going to be frustrating/annoying things I just want over with.

Evolution not revolution, build towards a playing team with one or two signings. Then got the job and started demanding players and changed the tactics without the players.

The thing is, he wasnt far off. In many of those loses they were playing really well.

It smacked to me of that situation where just that element of luck was missing. Had they nicked a couple of goals and therefore results it could have been VERY different IMO.

The thing is, he wasnt far off. In many of those loses they were playing really well.

It smacked to me of that situation where just that element of luck was missing. Had they nicked a couple of goals and therefore results it could have been VERY different IMO.
I don't watch a lot of Palace but from podcasts / other fans I was told he had no real plan. He was changing formations multiple times a game and all the while on at the board to buy more players.

You may be right regarding luck and that is the hard part but if he is unlucky and not doing what he agreed to do while peeing off board and players its easier to justify getting rid of you.

The fact Inter also complained about a similar thing gives the Palace board a bit of credibility.

Im not arguing that he did/didnt do as he said he would - only that Palace were actually doing pretty well despite what the results suggest.

I think just on the face of it he was hard done by, he was brought in to change things and they didnt hold their nerve.

That said, if there were more fundamental issues with the way he conducted himself then that puts whole different spin on things...

I don't watch a lot of Palace but from podcasts / other fans I was told he had no real plan. He was changing formations multiple times a game and all the while on at the board to buy more players.

You may be right regarding luck and that is the hard part but if he is unlucky and not doing what he agreed to do while peeing off board and players its easier to justify getting rid of you.

The fact Inter also complained about a similar thing gives the Palace board a bit of credibility.

It’s a Dutch thing
They have more flexible players and change the systems when the chips are down more

Back