• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Youth Players/On-Loan Thread 2017/18

Tomorrow's FA Youth cup game has been moved to the training ground after a pitch inspection in Stevenage. Looks like only family and friends will be allowed in.

Onomah just scored for Villa. A bullet header into the top corner.

He's not seeing a lot of the ball though. Might be because Villa can barely retain possession.

He seems to be getting a fair few goals for Villa. I think Poch must have reasoned that no one is going to be as good at him as teaching him his preferred method of playing, but what would be great is learning and having the confidence to be decisive at key moments, and scoring and making the difference is part of that. I think Onamah has always been talented enough to play in our team right now and fill the role - his composure, tactical awareness and his quality on the ball is top class for a player of his age. What he needed though was that decisiveness in the opposition half - that ability to not just play the nice but easy pass because it’s what the system would say, but to get into the opposition area and make a difference. Win the battle, make the strong connection, and be decisive not just tidy.

Saying tidy for Josh is a disservice as I think he is quality and super talented, but he probably played too safe or too unselfish at times to be the difference maker he is actually capable of being. Going somewhere like Villa where he’ll be one of the most talented pure footballers, where they will win their fair share of games, in a super competitive league, is going to do wonders for him. Poch always thought he had the talent to play further forward, and whether he ends up being the striker or in the pivot, I really hope this season has added some serious strength to his mentality and he comes back more of a man in playing terms.

Back