• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2016-17

The U23s lost 4-1 at Everton, it was a closer game than the score line would suggest though and we competed well for 60 minutes against a side that had a few players with league experience. Marcus Edwards was the pick of the bunch as you'd expect and was a threat all night, he set up our only goal after another mazy run which Kazaiah Sterling managed to nod in. We also had a trialist from Stevenage playing at LCB who did ok.

I saw the report. Everton had some guys in there with professional football to their name, so it was always gonna be tough.

How did we look with the switch to a back 3? Is it something that the club are looking to implement? I was under the impression that the youth sides had all gone to working in a 4231 for continuity sakes.

I saw the report. Everton had some guys in there with professional football to their name, so it was always gonna be tough.

How did we look with the switch to a back 3? Is it something that the club are looking to implement? I was under the impression that the youth sides had all gone to working in a 4231 for continuity sakes.

It was the first time I've seen us(either at U18 or U23 level) go three at the back, shipping four goals would suggest it didn't go too well but two of them were long range and another was Glover passing the ball to their striker so overall the defence actually had a reasonable game. I don't know whether it's something they're looking to implement across all age groups yet but I guess we'll find out in time. This formation definitely suits Edwards perfectly as one of the two tucked in behind the forward though, he was electric at times yesterday but didn't quite have enough quality around him.

I thought they did well against a strong Everton side who had 4 or 5 players with league experience, learn more about players in games like this than in easy wins.

@Yoof well he's bound to be filling in one of those roles in the future, unless of course the first team reverts back to a 4231.

To be honest very few of these players will make it, so I limit myself to watching the standout players

If someone is always mentioned like Edwards, I will keep an eye out

But I've wasted too much time tracking players that never get to be first team Spurs players

Good to see Edwards doing well, he certainly has that bit of magic you need around the box, could be a big asset IF IF IF IF he keeps progressing

I think the set up below first team football is flawed and rather than help development it holds players back, good young players need to be stretched by playing against experienced players rather than their peers. With first teams playing so many games and the large number of subs allowed players not in the first team aren't available to play in a competitive reserve league which would be a better step for young players. The present U18, U21 and U23 groupings are not working.

Many of the bigger clubs on the continent have second elevens in the lower leagues, something we're understandably loathe to adopt in this country because of the perceived devaluing effect it would have on clubs with big histories and big fan bases.

Last edited:
Good to see Edwards doing well, he certainly has that bit of magic you need around the box, could be a big asset IF IF IF IF he keeps progressing

And assuming he stays. Given the noise about him leaving last summer, I'm expecting the same this summer even though he was out injured for most of the games when he could have got some game time

Many of the bigger clubs on the continent have second elevens in the lower leagues, something we're understandably loathe to adopt in this country because of the perceived devaluing effect it would have on clubs with big histories and big fan bases.

"Understandably" is an understatement. It would kill lower league football, which is one of the few good things left about the game in England which continental clubs can't surpass (or really, even aspire to). The Championship is the fourth-most followed league in Europe behind the Premier League, La Liga and the Bundesliga - it even beats Serie A and Ligue 1 for matchday attendance (although not TV viewing figures). It is part of a Football League filled with (as you pointed out) big histories, big fanbases and valued, commonly-recognized elements of the national sporting fabric - all things your average 2.Bundesliga or Segunda Division club couldn't even dream about. Second teams shouldn't ever feature in a national discussion about how to catch up to continental football, because the lack of such teams is something England actually benefits from far more than it suffers from.

"Understandably" is an understatement. It would kill lower league football, which is one of the few good things left about the game in England which continental clubs can't surpass (or really, even aspire to). The Championship is the fourth-most followed league in Europe behind the Premier League, La Liga and the Bundesliga - it even beats Serie A and Ligue 1 for matchday attendance (although not TV viewing figures). It is part of a Football League filled with (as you pointed out) big histories, big fanbases and valued, commonly-recognized elements of the national sporting fabric - all things your average 2.Bundesliga or Segunda Division club couldn't even dream about. Second teams shouldn't ever feature in a national discussion about how to catch up to continental football, because the lack of such teams is something England actually benefits from far more than it suffers from.

Post of the year, right there. Best thing about English football is the depth and amount of clubs in the country who are followed by loyal fans. I even remember reading about one of the Barcelona players forget which one now, coming over and saying how amazed he was at the level of fans and also the excitement and quality of football. Think it was Xavi talking about Brighton actually.

The Championship is one of the best leagues and also most unpredictable and that makes it more interesting for me, also I am not sure how many countries round Europe could have a team come up from the second league and then win the title as Leicester did even if it was some what of a fluke. The are also some massive football clubs in the lower leagues with 20,000 plus attendances.

Coventry even with all their problems are still running adult literacy courses for local residents, which shows what an important role clubs have to play in local communities.

Post of the year, right there. Best thing about English football is the depth and amount of clubs in the country who are followed by loyal fans. I even remember reading about one of the Barcelona players forget which one now, coming over and saying how amazed he was at the level of fans and also the excitement and quality of football. Think it was Xavi talking about Brighton actually.

The Championship is one of the best leagues and also most unpredictable and that makes it more interesting for me, also I am not sure how many countries round Europe could have a team come up from the second league and then win the title as Leicester did even if it was some what of a fluke. The are also some massive football clubs in the lower leagues with 20,000 plus attendances.

Coventry even with all their problems are still running adult literacy courses for local residents, which shows what an important role clubs have to play in local communities.

Spot on. Orient are a club 92nd in the pyramid, rock bottom and looking up at every other outfit as they teeter on the edge of relegation from the Football League, with massive problems with their owner and with the fans' trust being asked to pay the club's medical bills. And yet, they run all sorts of community care schemes, sports programmes, disability inclusion initiatives and alternative education programs, alongside being a vibrant outfit that has its own groundswell of support (however small), its own place within the community that it's based in, its own proud history that stretches back over more than a century and its own place in the collective national consciousness.

Brisbane Road houses a living, breathing community of its own, one very much alive and immersed into the footballing story and societal fabric of the British Isles. It also used to house our reserve team at one point, not too long ago. And I know that there will never be a scenario where England would be benefited by having the former turfed out so that the latter could kick a ball around in an empty stadium against the Villa reserves in the hope that *maybe* a few more of them could one day be benchwarmers for Spurs before being sold back down the divisions.

Spot on. Orient are a club 92nd in the pyramid, rock bottom and looking up at every other outfit as they teeter on the edge of relegation from the Football League, with massive problems with their owner and with the fans' trust being asked to pay the club's medical bills. And yet, they run all sorts of community care schemes, sports programmes, disability inclusion initiatives and alternative education programs, alongside being a vibrant outfit that has its own groundswell of support (however small), its own place within the community that it's based in, its own proud history that stretches back over more than a century and its own place in the collective national consciousness.

Brisbane Road houses a living, breathing community of its own, one very much alive and immersed into the footballing story and societal fabric of the British Isles. It also used to house our reserve team at one point, not too long ago. And I know that there will never be a scenario where England would be benefited by having the former turfed out so that the latter could kick a ball around in an empty stadium against the Villa reserves in the hope that *maybe* a few more of them could one day be benchwarmers for Spurs before being sold back down the divisions.

Totally the wrong thread for this but as you are talking about Orient... their Trust is collecting at (London?) PL games tomorrow. Definitely worth a few spare quid or a crisp spare twenty if you have one and are at the game on Saturday...

Totally the wrong thread for this but as you are talking about Orient... their Trust is collecting at (London?) PL games tomorrow. Definitely worth a few spare quid or a crisp spare twenty if you have one and are at the game on Saturday...

It's a good cause, and I hope people are generous enough to help them out. No one should be forced to watch their club die because they're powerless in the games that rich people play with the institutions they fell in love with as a child.

The B team argument is a flawed one anyway. As long as there's so much money at stake in the Premier League, clubs will almost always prefer to buy what they perceive to be the more proven option(even if they're only proven to be mediocre) than take the risk on a youth player, regardless of whether they're doing well for the B team in the Football League. You can't replicate the pressure of playing for a real club whilst playing for a B side either so it wouldn't even properly prepare them for the demands of playing in the Premier League anyway. Unless some kind of transfer cap is imposed or they up the home-grown quota significantly then nothing will change.

Unless some kind of transfer cap is imposed or they up the home-grown quota significantly then nothing will change.

I think that a cap on the number of player registrations a club can hold and restrictions on loaning players who joined the club after the age of 16 would go a long way towards rectifying the problem.

Not that i'd like to see the rules changed to screw Chelsea or anything.

Last edited:
Back