• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2016-17

Best team won, hope we can learn a few things from it and move on.

Few of those Chelsea lads are really good prospects and for their sake and the future of the England national side I hope those players do not sign contracts but leave and go to clubs that play them, then they stand a chance of becoming real players.

Will this be their fourth year in a row winning the FAYC??

It's criminal that they can have such a good system but hardly promote from within. I know the Chelsea fans will bang on about RLC and perhaps Chalobah being in the first team squad, but RLC is barely getting chances and Chalobah isn't near good enough (though his younger brother looked a cut above tonight).

So far as our lads go, they looked so out of their depth with the movement that Chelsea had. Defensively we were all over the place starting with the midfielders rarely tracking back, our fullbacks were completely outmatched and that pulled our CB's out of shape often. I didn't think the two lads in CM offered much of a defensive screen, nor were the front 4 linking up all too often. TBH the only player in our ranks that looked half decent was #8 when he was on the ball. The rest didn't look positionally aware nor hungry enough.

Chelsea problem is the same as city's - the better your first team the harder it is for youngsters to get a chance as to have to be of that standard; and to get there the youngsters need games

It's a chicken and egg scenario. You can't develop them into the first team without games yet they can't be first team ready until they play there

Our set up is different as we bring them in gently but with a lower demand on them IMO

You do also have to question how good do those players actually become when their men. Think of McCrechran who was their last great white hype... he never did it on loan anywhere at a lower level so was never gonna cut it at Chelseas level. Abrahams though has shined on loan and has shown that he has ability and the right attitude. He needs to play first team prem football next season so he won't be doing that at Chelsea... maybe Swansea as a good fit

City are very similar and their the top two youth sides in the country (city have been good for youth for a very long time though)... and there is now talk of them losing their best youngsters as they won't sign perm contracts due to not getting games

Aren't our youth teams full of younger players promoted from the teams below?

Not really. Yesterday's team had 7 U18s and 4 U17s, Chelsea were pretty much the same. Not many have played above their age group in the past couple of years, mainly due to numbers and them being at a physical disadvantage as we typically take in smaller players. I don't want to make it sound as though Chelsea only beat us due them being superior athletes though, I've seen them beat us when that's been the case but in this tie they were just superior in every department. Still, it doesn't guarantee that they'll make it to a higher level at the end of the day and as long as we keep producing one or two for the 1st team from each group and then a couple more who can bring in some money then the academy is doing its job. Also have to remember that the best player from this age group has already been bumped up to the 1st team squad.

Not really. Yesterday's team had 7 U18s and 4 U17s, Chelsea were pretty much the same. Not many have played above their age group in the past couple of years, mainly due to numbers and them being at a physical disadvantage as we typically take in smaller players. I don't want to make it sound as though Chelsea only beat us due them being superior athletes though, I've seen them beat us when that's been the case but in this tie they were just superior in every department. Still, it doesn't guarantee that they'll make it to a higher level at the end of the day and as long as we keep producing one or two for the 1st team from each group and then a couple more who can bring in some money then the academy is doing its job. Also have to remember that the best player from this age group has already been bumped up to the 1st team squad.

Exactly the point, the academy is there to produce first team players not youth cup winners, all very nice to win but I ( a park player) played with a player who won the FA youth cup.

Real Madrid are considering a move for former Tottenham left-back Yuri Berchiche, 27, who did not play a single league game while at White Hart Lane between 2008-10. Spaniard Berchiche was loaned out to Cheltenham Town while at Spurs. (Marca)

Just heard Brighton will be putting a bid in for our former youngster Fredricks at Fulham apparently in the 5m bracket. Did not really get to see him when he was with us, would be cool if another youth product could get up to the prem.

Just heard Brighton will be putting a bid in for our former youngster Fredricks at Fulham apparently in the 5m bracket. Did not really get to see him when he was with us, would be cool if another youth product could get up to the prem.
Was disappointed that Fredericks was allowed to leave, he looked useful defensively and mighty impressive going forward when he came on as a sub at h/t in one of our Euro ties a few seasons back.

But I also remember a certain poster on here saying quite categorically he would never make it. Hopefully he can go some way to proving Mumorn wrong by coming up with Brighton next season. :D

But at this level, perhaps it is even more an imperative that the Coach gets it right. I felt McDermott failed to recognise our difficulties in central midfield, in both legs, and leaving out Bennetts and Shakshoua for the second leg, lost us a bit of a threat.
Not scoring those early chances and missing the penalty didn't help, but Chelsea also missed some good early chances while being more clinical.

Somewhat ironic that Jody Moriss had a bigger team physically than us while he himself was a small player but he did totally outmanoeuvre McDrmott tactically. I was impressed with him especially as their players made much better decisions, which is down to coaching on the training pitch.

Back