• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2016-17

Backup goalie for someone like Lloris is inherently somewhat difficult. I don't think the club is handling it badly at all.

Backup goalies in general tend to be a difficult sort to acquire and keep around for any length of time, to be fair. But there were less confusing options than Pau out there to fill that hole, is all I'm saying. Pau's signing isn't something I'm *appalled* by, or even against - I'm just considerably confused by it.

I hear your sentiment, BUT Pritchard is by all accounts a very creative player in terms of crosses into the box - which Pulis loves alongside his trogs. Matty Phillips i a winger and thriving there (on the whole). It is not unreasonable to think Pritchard could have made some kind of impact. The fact he didn't (i..e hardly played ANY league games) maybe made up Poch's mind when he got coaching reports (perhaps he didn't get selected much due to not training very hard; i'd imagine for all his love of Trogs, Pulis trains his players VERY hard).

Surely we could have found a hard trainer out there who isn't also a retrograde bully running a gerontocracy. Really, whatever merits Pulis has aren't worth sending our players to his West Brom, under any circumstances. There are 18 other clubs in the league that I'd prefer us sending players to - and 24 in the Championship, 24 in League One and 24 in League Two, for that matter. The only team I wouldn't want us sending players to over West Brom is Chelsea, and that's because they'd then loan them straight out (probably to West Brom) themselves.

On the last two points, could it not be that Pochettino wants him to get used to playing within the team in a different style? And games are not necessarily required to effect some of the changes that he feels are for the best?
He sees the raw ability and believes he can be moulded. In a way that Guardiola thought Hart could not be to the system he wished to deploy.

Aye, but how will he ever learn how to play in this different style if not in games? You can only do so much playing 11 against the backup 11, or 11 against the u-18 11. You need actual games at some point, which he's clearly not getting.

Aye, but how will he ever learn how to play in this different style if not in games? You can only do so much playing 11 against the backup 11, or 11 against the u-18 11. You need actual games at some point, which he's clearly not getting.
My guess is that comes next season and Vorm moves on in the summer.

And the style being worked on may not necessarily be that which you need games for to begin with. It could be personally training him to develop in one or two specific areas, the sort of thing that needs repeated and focused attention and practice rather than the vagaries of a few 90 minute games with unpredictable interaction with the opposition and no way of being sure that specific elements of a person's game understanding will have to be deployed.

It's all supposition on my part of course.

Surely we could have found a hard trainer out there who isn't also a retrograde bully running a gerontocracy. Really, whatever merits Pulis has aren't worth sending our players to his West Brom, under any circumstances. There are 18 other clubs in the league that I'd prefer us sending players to - and 24 in the Championship, 24 in League One and 24 in League Two, for that matter. The only team I wouldn't want us sending players to over West Brom is Chelsea, and that's because they'd then loan them straight out (probably to West Brom) themselves.

That is all fair enough, but perhaps West Brom were the only ones Pritchard wanted to go to (i'm sure there were other teams in for him on loan, but i think West Brom were the only ones in the PL) and perhaps he himself chose them when given the choice just so he could play and try and prove himself in the PL

Could not agree more, said at the time it was a waste of time for Pritchard and one of the worst loans we have agreed to.

My guess is that comes next season and Vorm moves on in the summer.

And the style being worked on may not necessarily be that which you need games for to begin with. It could be personally training him to develop in one or two specific areas, the sort of thing that needs repeated and focused attention and practice rather than the vagaries of a few 90 minute games with unpredictable interaction with the opposition and no way of being sure that specific elements of a person's game understanding will have to be deployed.

It's all supposition on my part of course.

That's....highly unusual, if it's a valid supposition, because it implies a level of commitment to training up a goalie to essentially the standard expected of him *before* game-time exposes his real weaknesses and strengths. Essentially, he either has a weakness in his game that we're trying to get rid of by stalling his development (in live games) for a year, or he's got some sort of strength that is worth working on to the point of taking him on loan from Espanyol just to develop him sans game time.

Either way, that's a whole lot of effort to be going to for a backup keeper who'll only ever play if Lloris gets injured or leaves, no? Especially when considering that we haven't even bought the guy yet.

That's....highly unusual, if it's a valid supposition, because it implies a level of commitment to training up a goalie to essentially the standard expected of him *before* game-time exposes his real weaknesses and strengths. Essentially, he either has a weakness in his game that we're trying to get rid of by stalling his development (in live games) for a year, or he's got some sort of strength that is worth working on to the point of taking him on loan from Espanyol just to develop him sans game time.

Either way, that's a whole lot of effort to be going to for a backup keeper who'll only ever play if Lloris gets injured or leaves, no? Especially when considering that we haven't even bought the guy yet.

Well, this seems an unusual situation if we really do end up buying a keeper for a reasonable sum without having played him during his loan spell.
So I wonder why that could be.

Looks like if Bentaleb plays one more game for schalke then they have to buy him. £16m is the figure going round. That wouldn't be bad business at all!

Do we think he'd be a decent backup to Son?? Certainly with the way we have been playing I'd like to see someone like him getting into the positon's that Alli and Son have been.

Do we think he'd be a decent backup to Son?? Certainly with the way we have been playing I'd like to see someone like him getting into the positon's that Alli and Son have been.

Maybe we'll bring him back and loan them Nkoudou in return :p

The U16s stepped up to the U18s league today and put in a decent effort away to Villa narrowly losing 2-1, a couple of U15s also came on off the bench. The U18s are preparing for Monday's FAYC quarter final away to Saudi Sportswashing Machine, if we win then we'll face Chelsea in the semis.

Back