• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2016-17

Or for not working hard enough when getting games

i don't think Poch would continue to give him chances if he wasn't working hard enough - (although perhaps this is why he is being used sparingly?) probably more that his style is somewhat languid

i don't think Poch would continue to give him chances if he wasn't working hard enough - (although perhaps this is why he is being used sparingly?) probably more that his style is somewhat languid

Hey Poch is the boss but I think Onomah is the laziest player I've seen come through for some time

The guy must have ability to be held in such high regard but I've seen pretty much every game he has had first team wise and I've never seen him work remotely hard

Hey Poch is the boss but I think Onomah is the laziest player I've seen come through for some time

The guy must have ability to be held in such high regard but I've seen pretty much every game he has had first team wise and I've never seen him work remotely hard
When he came on against Wycombe I watched him closely and was mighty impressed at how industrious he was from the word go. He was chasing back, tackling, harrying and generally hunting down the ball all over the park. In fact I honestly don't think he could have worked any harder.

So I can only guess people are not particularly watching him off the ball and stuff.

Last edited:
When he came on against Wycombe I watched him closely and was mighty impressed at how industrious he was from the word go. He was chasing back, tackling, harrying and generally hunting down the ball over the park. In fact I honestly don't think he could have worked any harder.

So I can only guess people are not particularly watching him off the ball and stuff.

No I didn't watch Wycombe

I've seen him play most games not All though

I've said it before but all the ability in the world doesn't get you far without a great work ethic

No I didn't watch Wycombe

I've seen him play most games not All though

I've said it before but all the ability in the world doesn't get you far without a great work ethic
Well if the Wycombe game is anything to go by he has that too now. He has tons of ability on the ball, no question about that, his problem is he seldom seems to do anything much to catch the eye. He scored against Gillingham but that game was a walk in the park so means nothing.

I'd love for him to come on late in a big game and score the winner, then we might start to see lift-off - with us fans as much as with his own career.

Well if the Wycombe game is anything to go by he has that too now. He has tons of ability on the ball, no question about that, his problem is he seldom seems to do anything much to catch the eye. He scored against Gillingham but that game was a walk in the park so means nothing.

I'd love for him to come on late in a big game and score the winner, then we might start to see lift-off - with us fans as much as with his own career.

Honestly I'd be happy if he came on and played at the same tempo of his other players

Seeing him play centre mid at his age group he stands out

Seeing him play wide in the first 11 he looks lost

Tottenham youngster in hospital after suffering spleen injury on Wednesday
According to RTL in Belgium, Tottenham’s 16-year-old goalkeeper Jonathan De Bie is currently in intensive care after suffering an injury to his spleen on Wednesday.

The youngster, who signed for Spurs in the summer from KSV Mechelen, was representing Belgium’s U17s on Wednesday against France when he got his in the side by a player’s knee when coming for a ball in the air.

Read More: http://sportwitness.co.uk/tottenham-youngster-hospital-suffering-spleen-injury-wednesday/

Warburton seemed to indicate that he wasn't using his head enough in a couple of interview's last year. Something along the lines of knowing when to be trying to trick your way past someone.

I was suprised that he went on loan that season tbh, but I'm gonna take a guess that he's already got a move set up for when his contract expires.

C35tlRwWAAAoBLw.jpg

I missed the first hour, though I know we went 2-0 up but Liverpool scored a pen just before half time. They equalised in the opening minutes of the second half and scored a third from a short corner in the 82nd minute. No idea how that last one was allowed to happen as Onomah was initially marking out there and then got called back into the box.

From what I have seen (from the 65th minute onwards), Liverpool are pressing us really high and our back line are struggling to get the ball past the halfway line. They have been more aggressive and definitely have a physical edge on our lads (size and fitness). I can't say that any of our lads look close to being first team ready today, only KWP has come close. I'll look around for the opening 60 mins later as Onomah looks to have moved from #8 to #10 in the second half (and not looked good), whilst the commentators seem to be saying that we were the dominant side of the first half.

@Yoof is Muscatt a natural left footer? He looked quite uncomfortable on it.

C35tlRwWAAAoBLw.jpg

I missed the first hour, though I know we went 2-0 up but Liverpool scored a pen just before half time. They equalised in the opening minutes of the second half and scored a third from a short corner in the 82nd minute. No idea how that last one was allowed to happen as Onomah was initially marking out there and then got called back into the box.

From what I have seen (from the 65th minute onwards), Liverpool are pressing us really high and our back line are struggling to get the ball past the halfway line. They have been more aggressive and definitely have a physical edge on our lads (size and fitness). I can't say that any of our lads look close to being first team ready today, only KWP has come close. I'll look around for the opening 60 mins later as Onomah looks to have moved from #8 to #10 in the second half (and not looked good), whilst the commentators seem to be saying that we were the dominant side of the first half.

@Yoof is Muscatt a natural left footer? He looked quite uncomfortable on it.

Muscatt is right-footed and frankly, not very good. We were much the better side until Muscatt gave away the penalty to make it 1-2, from there on Liverpool grew into the game and deserved to win in the end. Onomah was better 1st half but still poor overall, he just seems to be going backwards now and I think really needs to be playing games elsewhere at this point. I thought Amos was probably the pick of our players and Edwards showed his ability with his goal but was understandably rusty given it was his first game after being out for so long.

Muscatt is right-footed and frankly, not very good. We were much the better side until Muscatt gave away the penalty to make it 1-2, from there on Liverpool grew into the game and deserved to win in the end. Onomah was better 1st half but still poor overall, he just seems to be going backwards now and I think really needs to be playing games elsewhere at this point. I thought Amos was probably the pick of our players and Edwards showed his ability with his goal but was understandably rusty given it was his first game after being out for so long.

I thought Amos was on loan at Southend?

Not for good technical players like we are producing now. Kane and Mason got kicked around and quickly injured every time Timmeh packed them off to lower league
That is at least the second time that you have made up that nonsense.... Neither of them were 'kicked around and injured'. Mason's injuries were nothing to do with being kicked and Kane didn't have any injury problems.

I thought his work rate was fine against Wycombe, it was his quality that was seriously lacking in that game.

That is at least the second time that you have made up that nonsense.... Neither of them were 'kicked around and injured'. Mason's injuries were nothing to do with being kicked and Kane didn't have any injury problems.

Kane's foot got broken at Norwich and Mason's ankle problems at Doncaster came from poor tackles.

Kane's foot got broken at Norwich and Mason's ankle problems at Doncaster came from poor tackles.
Kane played in the lower leagues for Orient (5 goals in 18 games) and Millwall (9 goals in 27 games and received Millwall's young player of the year award). He got a Metatarsal injury while on loan at Norwich (who were in the Premier League so it wasn't a 'lower league loan' where he got injured as you claimed. One (reasonably minor) injury over 3 seasons of loans is not bad at all and doesn't suggest that he was being "kicked around" at all. The question here should simply be whether Kane benefited from the loan moves that he made? I would argue that he did and I think Kane himself has said on several occasions that they benefited him.

You are correct that Ryan Mason suffered ankle ligament damage in his second spell at Doncaster (after suffering a back injury in his first spell there, which was one of his many 'general injuries and not contact related), but unfortunately Ryan's whole career has been littered with injuries. Mason also injured his knee for us in 2015, he also picked up ankle injuries for us in 2015 and in 2016. Prior to Mason going to Doncaster for the first time he had a very successful season on loan at Yeovil (it was Yeovil who converted him from a number 10 to a central midfielder, so perhaps without that loan Mason wouldn't have made any career in professional football?) playing 29 games and scoring 6 goals for the club.

Mason himself spoke of how beneficial the loan was for him, with a quote that particularly stood out for me:
"I was a luxury player. Having been pampered at Tottenham for so long I went into League One and had to graft and learn the ugly side of the game. I grew as a player."

It is that "ugly side of the game" that I think a few of our youngsters need to learn. The problem is that you can only really learn it by playing proper first team football. That means we are currently having to let the likes of Onomah "learn on the job", so to speak. The problem is that the points are too precious to us to allow that. Every single point and perhaps even goal counts now that we are at the business end of the table. Let's let our talented young players grow as players and as men at a lower level club and then come back and grab their chance in our first team - just as Kane, Mason, Walker and Rose have all done.

I think it is quite interesting that all of those successes listed spent decent time out on loan, Alli is another young player who has adapted having played 2 seasons of lower league football prior to coming to us. Even the ones who nearly made it for us and are now playing PL football elsewhere (such as Townsend and Livermore) went out on various loans prior to playing first team football for us.

Back