• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2016-17

we've signed a 16 year old Belgian (not Dutch) keeper apparently

According to this, we have bought a new, young, 16 yr old, Belgian goalkeeper, Jonathan de Ble. Another addition to the 'Dutch' contingent!
http://www.footballinsider247.com/report-belgian-goalkeeper-signs-three-year-deal-with-tottenham/

Will see later on if the club announce it.
Lol at the fact that he apparently passed a medical last year for Liverpool but has chosen to come to Spurs. :)

For anyone who might be interested, who has the right channel (Eurosport 1), and is not fed up with all things England, Josh Onomah and Kyle Walker-Peters are with the England squad playing France this evening (6.30pm UK time) in the U19 Euro Finals.
I remembered that England U19 were playing today and thought I may watch it tonight
But it already happened http://www.uefa.com/under19/season=2016/matches/round=2000598/match=2019796/index.html
England scored in the last minute to beat the Dutch 2-1 and presumably qualified
KWP and Onomah played

I remembered that England U19 were playing today and thought I may watch it tonight
But it already happened http://www.uefa.com/under19/season=2016/matches/round=2000598/match=2019796/index.html
England scored in the last minute to beat the Dutch 2-1 and presumably qualified
KWP and Onomah played

Yep, through to the semi-finals.
This one wasn't televised - I followed it a bit on the uefa.com website commentary - sounded quite a good game, Onomah had at least a couple of chances.

Looks a massive player. Reminds me of Lennon at 17 and Bale at 17 as well. Hope he puts his head down and works hard to achieve that potential.

Looks like he's grown a bit as well. Lets just hope he has his head screwed on right such that he buys into the Poch regime

From reading around, it sounds like he played the game on the right wing whilst Onomah was deployed deeper.

In my need for football I watched the U19 game against Croatia. The England lads played to a decent standard, a few in there were too often looking for the Holywood pass which never really came off and there was a marked drop in tempo in the second half as the heat started to sap away at the players.

KWP played in half the position's on the pitch during the game. For the most part though he played on the right of the attacking midfield and was quite effective. He carried the ball forward well and committed players, but his biggest attribute was his awareness and his first touch. There were a couple of occasions where his first touch was good enough to see him free of a couple of defenders. Obviously he wasn't as direct as Ojo or Brown who were playing closer to their natural roles, but he didn't let himself down either.

Onomah was a frustrating player to watch. He was deployed at #8 alongside a player who was always looking for the ball and in turn saw a lot more of it in the first 20 minutes. After that Onomah seemed to want to take more of a pro-active role and started demanding the ball more. Something that I've noticed before that was evident in this game is that he takes a while to impose himself. He almost seems to not want to physically put himself about, but then something clicks and he's using his strength, but it takes time for him to want to do so. That said, he wasn't in his normal position and credit should go to him for closing off the passing lanes when defending and making some useful interceptions. He was at fault for the Croation goal as the Croation lad cut back infield and sent Onomah the wrong way. He looked his best when strolling forward with the ball and commiting players, always releasing the ball at the right moment. His passing when starting counters was deadly and it's one of the biggest bonuses to having him in that deeper role, but I still think he's suited further up the field.

I agree with your summary, as with all games at this level players often make the wrong decisions and control of the game can change quickly. I've always though that KWP will be a wide midfield player rather than a full-back, a wing-back at a push, he's got confidence on the ball and spots a pass quickly. Onomah did look the most creative player in the side but too many of the boys wanted try too much once they went 2-0 up, but I suppose they've got to learn and should be encouraged to express themselves.

In my need for football I watched the U19 game against Croatia. The England lads played to a decent standard, a few in there were too often looking for the Holywood pass which never really came off and there was a marked drop in tempo in the second half as the heat started to sap away at the players.

KWP played in half the position's on the pitch during the game. For the most part though he played on the right of the attacking midfield and was quite effective. He carried the ball forward well and committed players, but his biggest attribute was his awareness and his first touch. There were a couple of occasions where his first touch was good enough to see him free of a couple of defenders. Obviously he wasn't as direct as Ojo or Brown who were playing closer to their natural roles, but he didn't let himself down either.

Onomah was a frustrating player to watch. He was deployed at #8 alongside a player who was always looking for the ball and in turn saw a lot more of it in the first 20 minutes. After that Onomah seemed to want to take more of a pro-active role and started demanding the ball more. Something that I've noticed before that was evident in this game is that he takes a while to impose himself. He almost seems to not want to physically put himself about, but then something clicks and he's using his strength, but it takes time for him to want to do so. That said, he wasn't in his normal position and credit should go to him for closing off the passing lanes when defending and making some useful interceptions. He was at fault for the Croation goal as the Croation lad cut back infield and sent Onomah the wrong way. He looked his best when strolling forward with the ball and commiting players, always releasing the ball at the right moment. His passing when starting counters was deadly and it's one of the biggest bonuses to having him in that deeper role, but I still think he's suited further up the field.
Thanks Cochise.... Good summary there. I hold the opposite point of view to you however and think that Onomah's best position is likely to be as a number 8 type player. I think he has lots of attributes that would make him a good 'Dembele' type.

but I still think he's suited further up the field.

Surprised you feel that way as I thought that whilst he didn't do anything overly flash, his performance at CM against Croatia was much better than in the first game as a #10/second striker against France. The added responsibility was good for him as he knew he couldn't slacken off which he's prone to doing when playing further forward. I much prefer him collecting the ball and building attacks rather than being high up the field waiting to be fed, for me he doesn't have the natural attacking instinct you need in those areas and there was one clear example against France where he drove forward from deep and slid Solanke in but instead of continuing his run into the box he more or less stood and admired his pass only to see Solanke square it to where he should've been for a simple tap in. I can understand why managers play him further forward but for me that's more down to them just wanting him in the team but not fully trusting him with the defensive responsibility that is required of a CM, rather than them thinking he'll actually be a threat to the opposition higher up the pitch.

First off, I see him playing in one of those roles that we currently see Lamela and Eriksen occupying. I think they are position's which would allow him to be close enough to the action to make those key passes into the front man, but also drop back and help build play. His ability to play that defence splitting pass would be even more deadly in situations where we (Spurs) win the ball back in the opponents half and look to counter quickly. I would not have him playing in the #10/Dele Alli role because he doesn't react like a goalscorer as you (@Yoof) list. I also don't think he did well playing that kind of role against France.

My concern's with keeping him as a #8 are exactly as I noted in the summary. He doesn't seem to switch on at times and is hesitant to put himself about. There are pro's and con's to keeping him there and most of the positives are linked to his ball playing ability and calmness on the ball. He's young enough to grow into the role over the next couple of years.

At this moment in time he can develop into a player for any number of roles. The #8 role is one that he could fulfill with the right training and application, the #10 role will take a significant amount of training to ingrain the goalscoring attributes into him. The wide AM role would still be where I would place him right now.

Our Development Squad have discovered their opponents for the 2016-17 season in the newly-rebranded Premier League 2.

dev_tr_july5_730b.jpg

We will kick-off in the competition, formerly known as the Under-21 Premier League, at home to Everton on Monday, August 15.

Home fixtures – including the curtain-raiser against the Toffees – will be played at Stevenage's Lamex Stadium, aside from those taking place at White Hart Lane or the Training Centre.

The age limit for eligible players in the new Premier League 2 has risen from Under-21 to Under-23, specifically players born after January 1, 1993. The rules regarding over-age players will remain the same, where each team can field a goalkeeper over the age limit and up to three over-age outfield players in every match.

The format for the competition will remain the same, with our young professionals competing in the 12-team first division.

Our full provisional fixture list can be found below – please remember that all fixtures are subject to change.

pl2_logo.jpg

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR - PREMIER LEAGUE 2 FIXTURE LIST 2016-17

Mon Aug 15 - Everton (H) - Stevenage - 7pm
Mon Aug 22 - Reading (A) - Hogwood Park Training Ground - 2pm
Tue Aug 30 - Derby County (H) - White Hart Lane - 7pm
Fri Sep 9 - Chelsea (A) - Aldershot - 7.05pm
Mon Sep 19 - Liverpool (H) - White Hart Lane - 7pm
Fri Sep 23 - Southampton (A) - St Mary's - 7pm
Fri Oct 14 - Emirates Marketing Project (H) - Stevenage - 7pm
Mon Oct 24 - Leicester City (A) - Holmes Park - 7pm
Fri Oct 28 - Manchester United (H) - Tottenham Hotspur Training Centre - 12pm
Fri Nov 18 - Arsenal (H) - Tottenham Hotspur Training Centre - 12pm
Mon Nov 28 - Sunderland (A) - Eppleton Colliery Welfare Ground - 7pm
Mon Dec 12 - Derby County (A) – iPro Stadium - 7pm
Fri Jan 6 - Chelsea (H) - Tottenham Hotspur Training Centre - 12.05pm
Fri Jan 13 - Emirates Marketing Project (A) - venue TBC - 7pm
Mon Jan 30 - Southampton (H) - Stevenage - 7pm
Sun Feb 5 - Liverpool (A) - venue TBC - 1pm
Mon Feb 20 - Sunderland (H) - Stevenage - 7pm
Fri Mar 3 - Arsenal (A) - venue TBC - 7pm
Mon Mar 13 - Reading (H) - Stevenage - 7pm
Mon Apr 10 - Everton (A) - Southport FC - 7pm
Mon Apr 24 - Manchester United (A) - Leigh Sports Village - 7pm
Fri May 5 – Leicester City (H) - White Hart Lane - 7pm

Watching that video of Edwards (thanks for posting), it's great he's left footed. Why not let him be Lamela's understudy on the right for the season? Poch obviously wants a left footer there and we have signed players like Son who are supposed to be two footed but really they are right footed (think this was supposed to be the case with N'Jie too, could be wrong). Been a long, long time since I saw a right footed player effective on the right for us. Think we really need a natural left footer out there for the system. It is good that Jansen is also left footed, though have no idea if he has any ability to play out wide.

Back