• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer window thread.

He won’t be cheap but I wouldn’t mind Ake, keeping in line with our penchant for versatile left footed Dutch centre backs...

he said some nice things about Mourinho pre match, which of course should be reported as a ‘come and get me plea’ in media parlance
I’d prefer Mings TBH
Ake is a good footballer but hasn’t mastered the art of solid defending

He won’t be cheap but I wouldn’t mind Ake, keeping in line with our penchant for versatile left footed Dutch centre backs...

he said some nice things about Mourinho pre match, which of course should be reported as a ‘come and get me plea’ in media parlance
Does Jose know him from Chelsea?

I’d prefer Mings TBH
Ake is a good footballer but hasn’t mastered the art of solid defending
I'm the opposite. I think Ake has a much bigger upside than Mings, where I worry a bit about his ability on the ball (crucial for us).

As a semi related aside - the more I watch Villa the more it seems a bigger and bigger disappointment that Levy fcuked up the Grealish deal.

Last edited:
I missed the comments, could you possibly direct me to them please?

Versatile is a key word when it comes to Ake. Anytime I've seen him step in to midfield he has looked quality, and obviously offers that flexibility that he could drop back in to defense. The signing would plug so many gaps with a real option. Although as said before, his impeccable injury record is a worry because you just know he'd break down as soon as he came to us!

You're right on the not cheap side of things but I'd see it as a going all out for the player we know we need. Stambouli Fazio Saha Nelson Pienaar etc etc were cheap! I'd see it as our Van Djik (however you spell it) type of signing. No chance in the January window but every effort (above board of course) should be made to get it sorted. Maybe sweeten Bournemouth up with a loan like Wanyama or Skipp, try and get a good working relationship in place.
https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/s...e-sees-similarities-eddie-howe-jose-mourinho/

There was also an older article about how Mourinho dropped him when he replaced Benitez!
https://www.skysports.com/football/...-mourinho-left-him-mentally-broken-at-chelsea

I'm the opposite. I think Ake has a much bigger upside than Mings, where I worry a bit about his ability on the ball (crucial for us).

The more i watch Villa the more it seems a bigger and bigger disappointment that Levy fcuked up the Grealish deal.
Mings was outstanding vs us and IMO looks comfortable on the ball. He certainly IMO plays better defensively than Ake

Grealish is playing really well but woudknt get in IMO

I missed the comments, could you possibly direct me to them please?

Versatile is a key word when it comes to Ake. Anytime I've seen him step in to midfield he has looked quality, and obviously offers that flexibility that he could drop back in to defense. The signing would plug so many gaps with a real option. Although as said before, his impeccable injury record is a worry because you just know he'd break down as soon as he came to us!

You're right on the not cheap side of things but I'd see it as a going all out for the player we know we need. Stambouli Fazio Saha Nelson Pienaar etc etc were cheap! I'd see it as our Van Djik (however you spell it) type of signing. No chance in the January window but every effort (above board of course) should be made to get it sorted. Maybe sweeten Bournemouth up with a loan like Wanyama or Skipp, try and get a good working relationship in place.
FWIW

What type of player is he then?
A ball playing CM arguably box to box, one with a very keen eye for through balls and setting a tempo. He's much much closer in attributes to Eriksen than he is Kante. If you expect a DM or a Kante like ball seeker you will be continuously disappointed because that's not his game nor is it what we bought him for.

Just look at all the positives things he's done since he's been here and they have all been in an attacker context.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

A ball playing CM arguably box to box, one with a very keen eye for through balls and setting a tempo. He's much much closer in attributes to Eriksen than he is Kante. If you expect a DM or a Kante like ball seeker you will be continuously disappointed because that's not his game nor is it what we bought him for.

Just look at all the positives things he's done since he's been here and they have all been in an attacker context.

I will put my Eriksen filter on when next watching him.
So we are playing him too deep?

I will put my Eriksen filter on when next watching him.
So we are playing him too deep?
I don't know if we are playing him too deep per se as Eriksen can somewhat also play in the same space, he would though do a lot better with a quality DM in the team (and to be fair they all would). But yes look at his as more of a deeper Eriksen or maybe even Modric to an extent although Modric was better defensively and even more of a tempo setter, Ndombele be best described as a halfway between the two players from what we've seen so far.

I don't know if we are playing him too deep per se as Eriksen can somewhat also play in the same space, he would though do a lot better with a quality DM in the team (and to be fair they all would). But yes look at his as more of a deeper Eriksen or maybe even Modric to an extent although Modric was better defensively and even more of a tempo setter, Ndombele be best described as a halfway between the two players from what we've seen so far.

We currently have Dier, Winks, Wanyama (>Celtic), Skipp, GLC (not sure he will stay ATM), N’Dombele and Eriksen (>TBA). It will interesting to see who makes the cut!

Fabinho‘s are rare as rocking horse droppings these days, but if anybody can find one it is Mourinho and his contacts, I hope.

I don't rate Ake. I didn't want to say it before we played Bournemouth... but I don't rate him much at all.

I seem to remember him being regarded as being a bit short. He’s bang on 6ft. By Prem CB standards I reckon that’s a little bit below par. Certainly not what Mourinho is into imo.

Mings was outstanding vs us and IMO looks comfortable on the ball. He certainly IMO plays better defensively than Ake

Grealish is playing really well but woudknt get in IMO

Certainly not where he is playing at the moment as they are using him AML (roughly where Son plays).

But....the whole idea of a squad is you have players that can step in and do a job as good as (or almost as good as) your best 11. Jose would absolutely love how he plays. I think the hair and socks business gives a misconception about his style. He’s almost impossible to get the ball off, wins loads of fouls, rarely wastes the ball, works hard, can play in a few different positions, and being young and English he fits previous buying strategies.

Don’t be surprised if we go in again in the summer. Will be big money tho.

Certainly not where he is playing at the moment as they are using him AML (roughly where Son plays).

But....the whole idea of a squad is you have players that can step in and do a job as good as (or almost as good as) your best 11. Jose would absolutely love how he plays. I think the hair and socks business gives a misconception about his style. He’s almost impossible to get the ball off, wins loads of fouls, rarely wastes the ball, works hard, can play in a few different positions, and being young and English he fits previous buying strategies.

Don’t be surprised if we go in again in the summer. Will be big money tho.
Most fouled player in the league
And a tough player too

As a semi related aside - the more I watch Villa the more it seems a bigger and bigger disappointment that Levy fcuked up the Grealish deal.
The fact some on here were claiming Grealish to be a Championship level player was a joke. would have been a good player to acquire and in time would have challenged for a role in our team....

Back