• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Stats Thread

I wouldnt say it was the subs that caused us to concede but our tactics from the get go. Everton had the whole game and we just withstood it until the last couple of mins.

That's not true DHSF. Possession was 50-50 and they had 2 efforts on target in 90 minutes, we were pretty comfortable all 2nd half.

That's not true DHSF. Possession was 50-50 and they had 2 efforts on target in 90 minutes, we were pretty comfortable all 2nd half.

So why did it feel like they had barraged us? Admittedly I watched it on a shoddy stream but it just felt like, as per other games, that the opposition just has the onus on us. I can count maybe once or twice this season where we controlled the majority of the game.

Against Swansea we will have to get in someone like Thudd where possession will be key.

to keep it on topic we still concede late goals and I just dont know if its a mentality thing or its basically the straw broke the camels back situation (because our defence is constantly being attacked)

Because you're a pessimistic Spurs fan watching and waiting for us to collapse.

Pessimism without any experience is inexcusable however when you have seen it too many times THIS season - its not pessimism it becomes reality. So you and a lot of others can become high and mighty about the whole pessimism aspect of fans but being optimistic isnt going to change those last ten minute stats. Its action that reverses those statistics in our favor.

Yes but DHSF, even when we're winning comfortably I see you getting in a complete tiz because the other team might have had a shot on goal. If you read your posts in the match thread you'd think we were getting spanked every game. I'm not an optimist when it comes to Spurs, I'm probably more of a pessimist but I don't elevate the other team's performance over Spurs purely because I'm expecting us to blow it.

Today we were comfortable for the first 25 minutes, then they bossed it for the rest of the half. 2nd half we edged it, went ahead, nearly scored again with Sigurdsson, then a mistake at the end cost us and in typical Spurs fashion we felt sorry for ourselves and blew it completely. We weren't battered from the first minute to the last.

Many of our players have played a lot of games so far. Mental fatigue will start to set in, especially towards the end of games. Even if we have worked on rectifying whatever the problem might be, it will still happen again as the players switch to autopilot sometimes.

Yes but DHSF, even when we're winning comfortably I see you getting in a complete tiz because the other team might have had a shot on goal. If you read your posts in the match thread you'd think we were getting spanked every game. I'm not an optimist when it comes to Spurs, I'm probably more of a pessimist but I don't elevate the other team's performance over Spurs purely because I'm expecting us to blow it.

Today we were comfortable for the first 25 minutes, then they bossed it for the rest of the half. 2nd half we edged it, went ahead, nearly scored again with Sigurdsson, then a mistake at the end cost us and in typical Spurs fashion we felt sorry for ourselves and blew it completely. We weren't battered from the first minute to the last.

Not really cos half the time im not on here as im at WHL. So it would be an away game. Now im watching today like I say admittedly on a fairly poor quality stream and all I see is us standing off within our last third and evertone having all the ball. Now did we look fairly comfortable? yes we did from what I saw. Ultimately though that is where we slightly differ in that I want to see a team going for it. AVB did that today in terms of personnel but tactics? its happened before so not just a one off.

Its not going off on a 'tiz'. Its not being oblivious to the problem and to try to mitigate the risk of ineffective performances from happening again and again. I can sit here and say everything is hunky dory - we were comfortable we were defending well BUT did we attack well? no. Did we panic when we were defending? yes. Has it happened before? er yes (against Liverscum recently yet statistics may show that Liverscum didnt have much going for them - thats why I dont like stats)

The last ten minutes is a massive issue, as the initial OPs statistics mentions it has cost us a fair few points. We need a 2-0 head start to even consider being comfortable.

The last ten minutes is a massive issue, as the initial OPs statistics mentions it has cost us a fair few points. We need a 2-0 head start to even consider being comfortable.

Same thing when we played the Sky 4 a few season back, we could still drop point with 1-0 or even 2-0 leads. Not something new really.

Same thing when we played the Sky 4 a few season back, we could still drop point with 1-0 or even 2-0 leads. Not something new really.

It's been an issue with Spurs for years, and I'm sure all other teams are well aware of it - hence them going all in in attack during the closing stages of a match, because they know we're likely to conceede. I'd argue that the fact that we're known to be bottlers, gives opposing teams an extra boost at the end of matches, making them squeeze out just that little extra. This makes it even more likely that we'll conceede, and voilá: Vicious circle.

This is a problem, because it means other teams know there's always a chance if they're one or two down against us, with ten minutes to go. This in turn will tire our players, who time and time again have to spend the last 15-20 minutes of games with their backs against the wall, getting no rest at all.

Unfortunately I think it will take a lot of time for us to get rid of this reputation. We'll have to play for years without collapsing like we did yesterday. We should start by learning how to retain possession of the ball when being pushed back, like we've been for the later parts of most games this season.

Well when it happens against the Sky four then that can be accepted (difficult to take but there are excuses). Against the likes of Everton, West Brom, Norwich etc is there an excuse?

MOTD mentioned that we are top of the league in terms of goals scored first. So combine that with the last ten minutes stat and you got yourself a team who starts well and peters off towards the end - thats tactical that it happens again and again and again.

It may have happened in the past but like you say maybe against the sky four or on the odd game here and there whilst this season it has been a continuous theme.

So why did it feel like they had barraged us? Admittedly I watched it on a shoddy stream but it just felt like, as per other games, that the opposition just has the onus on us. I can count maybe once or twice this season where we controlled the majority of the game.

Against Swansea we will have to get in someone like Thudd where possession will be key.

to keep it on topic we still concede late goals and I just dont know if its a mentality thing or its basically the straw broke the camels back situation (because our defence is constantly being attacked)

Surely that's an oxymoron :)

Pre-Xmas is often a strange time in the league and quite often the league isn't a true reflection of anything like it will end up. But as the games come thick and fast over the festive season, that is when the league table really starts to take shape.

What we need to do to make sure we're still in contention is stop losing games. We've lost six league games already this season, and we haven't even reached the halfway point. Arsenal managed to get third last year with ten defeats, and the first time we managed to get fourth in the Premier League we also had ten defeats. But it's usually quite unusual to finish top four with double digit defeats in a season, so we need a very strong showing from here on in.

There are no games where they declare the winner at 80 minutes and stop playing. No games where you can win 1.433 points. That is the beauty of football. You are coasting 2-0 like United were-should have been 3-0- the next thing it is 2-2-then you win 3-2 in the last minute. I love it!!!

The table NEVER, EVER lies.

There are no games where they declare the winner at 80 minutes and stop playing. No games where you can win 1.433 points. That is the beauty of football. You are coasting 2-0 like United were-should have been 3-0- the next thing it is 2-2-then you win 3-2 in the last minute. I love it!!!

rugby?

That depends on what you mean by 'lies' here.

Do you think the table obviously show how many points each team has, that's no lie.

I don't think the table always accurately reflects who have been the better teams when it comes to performance, absolutely not at this point in the season, but not even after the season.

Back