• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Stats Thread

zin

Anthony Gardner
A busy month and a mixed bag of results with 3 wins, 1 draw and 3 defeats. Three straight defeats in the league saw our two worst performances of the season vs Wigan (H) with 5.36 and Arsenal (A) with 5.37, however the month ended on a high with two straight home wins including our best performance of the season vs West Ham (H) with 7.39. Our remaining two games were in the Europa league with a win and a draw, leaving us in a position where qualification is in our hands with at least a draw at home to Panathinaikos next month.

The month game average was 6.17, slightly below the season average of 6.30 with 3 games above the season average, and 4 games below. We also saw 11 goals scored and 10 conceded, annoyingly half of those conceded were against that lot up the road.

2s0zqk7.jpg

Our player of the month was a tigher affair, with consideration only taken for players who played at least 3 games. Coming out on top was Sandro who played in all but the Maribor (H) game with MOTM performances vs Emirates Marketing Project (A) and Arsenal (A). Only 0.05 points away from him were Gareth Bale, who played in all the games, and Hugo Lloris with 5 games, having seemingly now taken over the number one shirt. Gareth scored 3 goals in November and got his first MOTM award of the season vs Liverpool (H) whilst Hugo's excellent displays vs Lazio (A), where he won his first MOTM award of the season (with the third highest rating of the season of 8.32) and West Ham (H) helped his average score after poor performances vs Maribor (H) and Arsenal (A). Bale also received three over-7.5 ratings, more than anyone else in November along with the second highest rating of the season with 8.50.

A special mention should also go to Defoe who got a hat-trick vs Maribor (H) and the highest rating of the season with 8.70 as well as 2 goals vs West Ham (H) getting MOTM in both games. Regardless of this his November average rating of 6.15 was still just under the month's average. This was mostly due to his three sub-5.5 performances, notably his 4.61 vs Wigan (H) and 4.94 vs Arsenal (A). As a result of these good and bad performances Defoe's standard deviation of 1.74 reflects his inconsistency. To compare, Caulker and Dawson had consistent months with low standard deviations and with both their average ratings above the team average.

Another inconsistent performer however was Adebayor whose standard deviation of 1.73 was mostly due to his sending off vs Arsenal (A) which resulted in the season's worst score of 3.30, as well as his half hearted performances vs Lazio (A) with 4.84 and Wigan (H) with 5.44. Complete opposite performances to compare vs Emirates Marketing Project (A) with 7.31 and Maribor (H) with 7.37.

One of our worst players of the month however was Clint Dempsey, although not getting the lowest average rating of the month, he played in all but one of the games in November and received ratings of 4.58, 4.92, 3.63 and 4.00 in four of his six games and was the worst player on the pitch in three of them. His better peformances vs West Ham (H) and Liverpool (H) however resulted in the higher standard deviation of 1.41 and saved him from getting the lowest average. The worst player, although it must be said with only three games and two of those as a substitute was Gylfi Sigurdsson, with all three being sub-5.5 performances. The low standard deviation of 0.22 he got also indicates he was equally as bad in all three games. Two other players who had a bad month were William Gallas and Kyle Naughton with average ratings not much higher than Dempsey.

1h5f12.jpg

Not familiar with the criteria, is there a min minute played cut-off for Games and Ratings? Or else it looks strange for Dembele to only have one game in Nov.

Nice work though.

Not familiar with the criteria, is there a min minute played cut-off for Games and Ratings? Or else it looks strange for Dembele to only have one game in Nov.

Nice work though.

Most posters hardly ever rate subs and especially those who come in with 10/15 mins to play

Yes, as ArcspacE pointed out. My criteria is also at least 10 votes or at least half the votes of everyone else if it's a low number of votes (has never been less than 10 so far)

Haha, we have this debate every month but it stills makes me chuckle....

Defoe scores = 8 or 9 out of 10
Defoe doesn't score = 4 or 5 out of 10

I wonder if he ever walks off the pitch when he hasn't scored and thinks "I played really well today just couldn't get a goal" then the whole world gives him a 4 haha!!

PS. Great work with the stats!

Who needs statto when you got Zin Zin... I see the GG awards has motivated the fudger eh ;)

I wonder if he ever walks off the pitch when he hasn't scored and thinks "I played really well today just couldn't get a goal" then the whole world gives him a 4 haha!!

The Defoe thing makes sense. Gary Neville yesterday showed an analysis that Defoe has on average 25 touches a game. Which isn't many to say the least. So if he scores he will no doubt get higher marks.

He is a fudgein predator

I guess Defoe hardly contributes on other areas might explain it. His style isn't like Adebayor or Berba.

I remember when we sold Defoe to Pompey didn't realize how much we missed him until he was gone, the lad just bangs in goals pure and simple and it is priceless. Pav was along the same lines I think we have missed him a bit too as another option off the bench who can score a goal out of nothing. Pav scored some absolute belters for us.

I heard an interesting statistic on BBC 5 Live this afternoon before our match. If league matches lasted 80 minutes we would actually be top of the league, and remember that was before kick off.

We have a very poor defensive record an dseem to have developed an inherent ability not to be able to keep things tight, so when we took off Defoe and Lennon i thought this could backfire on us just as similar defensive substitutions did so in two consecutive matches in a row at home ealier this season.

The more the team believe they are susceptible to conceding late goals, the more they are going to panic, so even more they are going to concede late ... oh shut up.

From the OMT... Yup it is a vicious cycle that the more everyone is aware of these stats then the more it's going to prey upon the players' minds and give our opponents that little glimmer of hope at the end of games even if they are behind...

I just knew we were going to concede when Caulker hacked the ball away as Lloris was screaming for him to leave it... gutted.

So the run continues, fingers crossed AVB can work out how to put an end to this habit of conceding late goals this season... :-k

Twitter / OptaJoe: 80 - If all Premier League games had ended after 80 mins this season, Tottenham (32 points) and West Brom (31) would form the top two. Slip.

Twitter / OptaJoe: 10 - Spurs have conceded 10 goals in the final 15 mins of their PL matches this season, a league high figure and 40% of their total. Late.

Just as this stat must be a source of strength for ManU...

The more the team believe they are susceptible to conceding late goals, the more they are going to panic, so even more they are going to concede late ... oh shut up.

first it's unlucky, and i have read all season that's all AVB's faults...he should keep the attacking players on...from someone in our mailing group. well...this just kinda vicious cycle.

I think it shows the group is mentally weak, we need some stronger characters in there, some real winners

I don't think you can pin it on substitutions all the time. Besides, didn't Hudd come on for Lennon before we scored?

Back