• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Spanish Football Thread

Real Madrid are walking all over Barcelona in the Second leg of the Super Cup. Asensio with a top quality strike from outside the area, and a well taken Benzema goal, have Real Madrid 2-0 up. They fully deserve their lead. Real Madrid are showboating, passing with a series of flicks, backheels, and tricks, much to the enjoyment of the home fans. Barcelona, conversely, are playing like a dog that has just woken up from a deep sleep; lethargic, lacklustre and yes, turgid, all synonyms and very apt in their use as a description of Barcelona's performance.

I miss Modric. Imagine him, and Eriksen in the same team. Sadly that would only happen if Eriksen signed for Real Madrid. He is like a painter, the way that he caresses the ball, creating a perfect picture with deft strokes of the ball. He is one of my favourite players to watch. Arguably the best midfielder in the World right now.
Good stuff.

Barca should have had a couple to be fair.

I hope they don't come sniffing around Eriksen.

That's one of my fears. Barcelona must be able to appreciate how good Eriksen is, perhaps they stay away as they also know that we have Levy at the helm.

lethargic, lacklustre and yes, turgid, all synonyms

Careful, remember that moment of revelation last year when it was pointed out that:

turgid
ˈtəːdʒɪd/
adjective
  1. 1.
    swollen and distended or congested.
    "a turgid and fast-moving river"
    synonyms: swollen, congested; More

2. 2.
    (of language or style) tediously pompous or bombastic.
    "some turgid verses on the death of Prince Albert"
    synonyms: bombastic, pompous, overblown, overripe, inflated, high-flown, affected, pretentious, grandiose, florid, flowery, ornate, magniloquent, grandiloquent, rhetorical, oratorical, orotund;

whereas

torpid
ˈtɔːpɪd/
adjective
  1. mentally or physically inactive; lethargic.
    "we sat around in a torpid state"
    synonyms: lethargic, sluggish, inert, inactive, slow, slow-moving, lifeless, dull, listless, languid, lazy, idle, indolent, shiftless, slothful, heavy, stagnant, somnolent, sleepy, tired, fatigued, languorous, apathetic, passive, supine, comatose, narcotic

Call me crazy, but I really think "missing out" on Modric has been a huge blow to Barca. Turnaround of Real getting back above Barca wouldn't have happened if Barca had signed Modric instead of Real.

Call me crazy, but I really think "missing out" on Modric has been a huge blow to Barca. Turnaround of Real getting back above Barca wouldn't have happened if Barca had signed Modric instead of Real.

I agree with this. Barcelona's midfield is terrible now. They have not replaced Iniesta and Xavi, not that it's easy to do so. But, if they had signed Modric, that would have been a very good step to doing so. Rakitic is a good player, but I don't rate him that highly and question whether he's really good enough for Barcelona's team. I have similar reservations about Coutinho. I just don't think that he's a £100m+ player even with the latest transfer inflation.

Careful, remember that moment of revelation last year when it was pointed out that:

turgid
ˈtəːdʒɪd/
adjective
  1. 1.
    swollen and distended or congested.
    "a turgid and fast-moving large natural channel of water"
    synonyms: swollen, congested; More

2. 2.
    (of language or style) tediously pompous or bombastic.
    "some turgid verses on the death of Prince Albert"
    synonyms: bombastic, pompous, overblown, overripe, inflated, high-flown, affected, pretentious, grandiose, florid, flowery, ornate, magniloquent, grandiloquent, rhetorical, oratorical, orotund;

whereas

torpid
ˈtɔːpɪd/
adjective
  1. mentally or physically inactive; lethargic.
    "we sat around in a torpid state"
    synonyms: lethargic, sluggish, inert, inactive, slow, slow-moving, lifeless, dull, listless, languid, lazy, idle, indolent, shiftless, slothful, heavy, stagnant, somnolent, sleepy, tired, fatigued, languorous, apathetic, passive, supine, comatose, narcotic

Thank you for showing me this. My mind feels a bit confused over this relegation but now I can avoid future embarrassment by describing team's performances as torpid, a much better fit. I think I was one of the first to brand our performances as turgid. I remember it being in an AVB European match, when we were actually being very torpid.

The Barcelona midfield was so pedestrian last night!
Barca will do what they always do, spend big AND also change the MANAGER............
...?

Last edited:
They were also wrong to sell Thiago Alcântara. He was the heir apparent and Guardiola managed to snag him for Munich.

In some ways they have moved away from the model which served them well, and one we are now using. And that is judicious use of academy players as part of the first team squad. La Masia graduates are not represented to the same extent these days. A sign of the times maybe but something I think they should put more focus on.

Last edited:
I miss Modric. Imagine him, and Eriksen in the same team. Sadly that would only happen if Eriksen signed for Real Madrid. He is like a painter, the way that he caresses the ball, creating a perfect picture with deft strokes of the ball. He is one of my favourite players to watch. Arguably the best midfielder in the World right now.

Have to agree, Modric IS world class and one of the best players i have seen in a Spurs shirt.

This
I still cringe whenever I think of my initial assessment and impressions of Luka.........:oops:

We are all guilty of doing that, my biggest mistake was after seeing Waddle play his first few games saying i do not think he is that good. Big mistake as he turned out to be the best winger i have seen here. I also thought Rose would never be a regular, i do not often jump to conclusions but those two were bad judgements on my part.

We are all guilty of doing that, my biggest mistake was after seeing Waddle play his first few games saying i do not think he is that good. Big mistake as he turned out to be the best winger i have seen here. I also thought Rose would never be a regular, i do not often jump to conclusions but those two were bad judgements on my part.

Luka is mine!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed Sissoko will go the same;)

That season, 88-89, Waddle had before he left:eek: stunning

Imagine if he has stayed for the following 89-90 season when Lineker joined. Gazza, Lineker and Waddle in the same team!!! Lineker has actually said how massively disapppointed he was that Waddle left the same summer he joined.

Brilliant winger

That season, 88-89, Waddle had before he left:eek: stunning

Imagine if he has stayed for the following 89-90 season when Lineker joined. Gazza, Lineker and Waddle in the same team!!! Lineker has actually said how massively disapppointed he was that Waddle left the same summer he joined.

Brilliant winger

Without a doubt ( imo) he is the best we have had in that posistion, look how many goals he made/laid on for Allen's record breaking season in 86-87. There are some who think Ginola was the bees knees but Waddle was head and shoulders above him.

Without a doubt ( imo) he is the best we have had in that posistion, look how many goals he made/laid on for Allen's record breaking season in 86-87. There are some who think Ginola was the bees knees but Waddle was head and shoulders above him.

I would never knock Ginola. He was the shining light amongst the biggest amount of dross I've seen at Spurs. Imagine Ginola in the side that Waddle played with.

Anyway both legends in my eyes

Back