• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***The official health and fitness thread***

This is why women annoy me. They always bitch and moan about their weight yet if they actually wanted to do something about it, it's really not that difficult to do.

Just takes a bit of self discipline.

It is much more difficult for women though so I understand their frustration definitely - although I think that some arent as disciplined. They tend to follow the latest fad diet from 'OK Magazine' they stick with it, it doesnt work then they go back to eating ice cream. Its the wrong way to go about it. However I do understand their frustration - we have muscle women arent as muscular. Muscle is metabolically active in comparison to fat. This is why, Roy - you need to establish how much of that weight loss is fat. If its all muscle (it wont be) then youre just going to put the weight back on as your BMR has significantly reduced as a result.

It is self discipline as you say but you need to see results to keep that motivation. They follow fad diets which is brick. I have learnt a brickload about nutrition and fat loss (weight loss is just gonad*s as far as im concerned) and im continuing to learn - there is SO much. www.Bodybuilding.com is an amazing site which I would encourage to be viewed.

I think it's different for every person, I can lose half a stone to a stone in a month or two and then my body seems to fight against me, I get cravings for all the brick food that I shouldn't be eating and seem to lack motivation for exercise, whether it's the lack of calories making me feel that or my mind I don't know.

A lot of people find that they start a diet or an exercise routine, they get good results at the beginning and then their progress slows down and they lose motivation, it's not just women or there would be a lot more fatter women than men and there aren't.

I think it's different for every person, I can lose half a stone to a stone in a month or two and then my body seems to fight against me, I get cravings for all the brick food that I shouldn't be eating and seem to lack motivation for exercise, whether it's the lack of calories making me feel that or my mind I don't know.

A lot of people find that they start a diet or an exercise routine, they get good results at the beginning and then their progress slows down and they lose motivation, it's not just women or there would be a lot more fatter women than men and there aren't.

I don't think that's quite apt, there are likely a lot of fatter men who don't actually care about being fatter, whereas i would not say there are many women who don't care about it.

The number of women i know attempting to diet and lose weight always far exceeds the number of men i know trying to do the same. Added to the point that there are a decent number of men that are actually trying to do the opposite and put the weight on. I'd include myself in that.

There are three reasons why it slows down (im sure there are more)

1) Muscle loss, which means metabolism slows down hence the reason why weight loss is the wrong method to judge by.
2) The BMR, as you lose weight, will reduce and people dont re-evaluate this on say a bi-weekly basis. They eat the same 2k intake as they did when they were 30 pounds heavier. So weight loss will slow down.
3) Plateau, which can be a killer but as you say you have to keep motivated.

Its not as simple as calorie counting I suppose, its about your macros. Its a whole science behind it and body physiology.

I agree with spamalot tho ;) much more women want to lose weight but thats because of all the hello magazines out there. I mean every week there is the 'one month diet', 'summer diet', ' bikini diet' - all fads. Women are seduced by the diets.

There is a girl at work who has tried around seven new diets and fitness regimes in the past 18 months from the 2 day fast diet to the squat fitness regime. Ultimately she has lost about 7kgs in 18 months. Had she just done a consistent fitness and healthy eating regime im sure she will have lost SO much more.

I'm 33 6ft 3, my main tip for losing weight for myself 7s giving up the nightly drink, can easily lose 1 stonen in 3 to 4 weeks.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Fapatalk HD

I don't think that's quite apt, there are likely a lot of fatter men who don't actually care about being fatter, whereas i would not say there are many women who don't care about it.

The number of women i know attempting to diet and lose weight always far exceeds the number of men i know trying to do the same. Added to the point that there are a decent number of men that are actually trying to do the opposite and put the weight on. I'd include myself in that.

I see what you're saying, but generally those women are a few pounds over weight and just want to lose a bit to look good in a bikini like the magazines say they should, and men that are a few pounds over couldn't give a brick. It's way harder to take off the last few pounds than it is the first load. Plus, men that want to lose a few pounds aren't likely to tell their mates or the office that they are trying to shift a couple of pounds they'll just do it quietly whereas women will tell anyone and everyone that they're trying a new diet.

Just checked and apparently 40% of men and 30% of women are overweight so that says that perhaps men have more difficulty in shifting the weight, subtract say 10% for those men that couldn't give a fudge and it's probably about the same.

Here's the sort of problem I face regularly when I try and lose some weight. Last week I weighed myself for the first time in a couple of weeks and was 5 pounds lighter than last time, I've only been going to the gym and eating healthily for a week or two so happy with that, this week I've still been going to the gym and eating healthily but I've put 2 pounds back on. It's so strange, I genuinely can't see any difference between this week and last week, maybe last week I had a massive brick before I weighed myself and this time I didn't or maybe I've gained a bit of muscle this week, I don't know but you can see how people (myself included) can get demotivated by weird results like that and start thinking that the current diet/fitness routine they are doing isn't working for them.

I see what you're saying, but generally those women are a few pounds over weight and just want to lose a bit to look good in a bikini like the magazines say they should, and men that are a few pounds over couldn't give a brick. It's way harder to take off the last few pounds than it is the first load. Plus, men that want to lose a few pounds aren't likely to tell their mates or the office that they are trying to shift a couple of pounds they'll just do it quietly whereas women will tell anyone and everyone that they're trying a new diet.

Just checked and apparently 40% of men and 30% of women are overweight so that says that perhaps men have more difficulty in shifting the weight, subtract say 10% for those men that couldn't give a fudge and it's probably about the same.

Here's the sort of problem I face regularly when I try and lose some weight. Last week I weighed myself for the first time in a couple of weeks and was 5 pounds lighter than last time, I've only been going to the gym and eating healthily for a week or two so happy with that, this week I've still been going to the gym and eating healthily but I've put 2 pounds back on. It's so strange, I genuinely can't see any difference between this week and last week, maybe last week I had a massive brick before I weighed myself and this time I didn't or maybe I've gained a bit of muscle this week, I don't know but you can see how people (myself included) can get demotivated by weird results like that and start thinking that the current diet/fitness routine they are doing isn't working for them.
You weight fluctuates throughout the day, so when you weight yourself, do it at the same time and day each week. First thing in the morning will probably be the most accurate. Muscle ways more than fat so if you're doing weights you're going to be heavier as you're putting muscle on.

I would disagree with your percentages.

The second point is self discipline. If you really want to lose the weight you will keep at it. If your not actually that bothered then you won't. One bad result should not be demotivational, it would be the opposite in my mind. I would work harder to ensure such a result did not occur again. If there were consistent bad results, than i could understand the demotivational aspects.

Such small fluctuations in such a small time frame do not really represent what is going on within your body.

As a final point, it would be far better for everyone if people ignored 'weight', as it's not really an accurate measurement of health.

Smashed through the 18 stone barrier! 4 weeks ago I was 19 stone 2 today I'm 17 stone 12. As Spursalot said its discipline and self control. I've eaten no chocolate in that time, hardly any fizzy (Maybe half a can) and eaten carbs on alternative days.

This is why women annoy me. They always bitch and moan about their weight yet if they actually wanted to do something about it, it's really not that difficult to do.

Just takes a bit of self discipline.

Because these people don't actually want to lose weight. They want to be thin but not do anything to do it. Going to the gym once every 2 weeks and sitting around moaning while eating cookies with other moaning women doesn't do anything.

I had my medical in January, 202lbs (nearly 92kg/15st). Too much. Since then I have lost nearly 2 stone (8kg/15lbs), weighing in at 187lbs today. Might not seem like a lot, but I am sure it's 15lbs of fat because my max weights at the gym have almost doubled. I am doing full sets on 95lbs and short sets of 100lbs on the bicep curl machine, compared to topping out at 60lbs in December. Every pair of jeans I own needs a belt now. I'm bigger, yet thinner.. if that makes sense.

There is a big difference between being 15st and chunky and 13st and leaner.

I go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week, 45 mins at a time plus a 15 min walk to and from each time (in 35c+). Hardly any alcohol, no fast food, 1 can of coke a day at work (i don't drink tea or coffee though), and stopped eating rice. Lunch is chicken and salad. Sometimes fruit and yogurt.

Trouble is, now i'm at a point where it's hard to see where any more gains can be made! 8 years ago, aged 21, I was 185lbs. Aiming for that again. Maybe summer football will help. Temperatures reach 48c during the day and stay around 36-38 at night. Always fun :lol:

Because these people don't actually want to lose weight. They want to be thin but not do anything to do it. Going to the gym once every 2 weeks and sitting around moaning while eating cookies with other moaning women doesn't do anything.

I had my medical in January, 202lbs (nearly 92kg/15st). Too much. Since then I have lost nearly 2 stone (8kg/15lbs), weighing in at 187lbs today. Might not seem like a lot, but I am sure it's 15lbs of fat because my max weights at the gym have almost doubled. I am doing full sets on 95lbs and short sets of 100lbs on the bicep curl machine, compared to topping out at 60lbs in December. Every pair of jeans I own needs a belt now. I'm bigger, yet thinner.. if that makes sense.

There is a big difference between being 15st and chunky and 13st and leaner.

I go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week, 45 mins at a time plus a 15 min walk to and from each time (in 35c+). Hardly any alcohol, no fast food, 1 can of coke a day at work (i don't drink tea or coffee though), and stopped eating rice. Lunch is chicken and salad. Sometimes fruit and yogurt.

Trouble is, now i'm at a point where it's hard to see where any more gains can be made! 8 years ago, aged 21, I was 185lbs. Aiming for that again. Maybe summer football will help. Temperatures reach 48c during the day and stay around 36-38 at night. Always fun :lol:

Your only 2 pounds more than you were at 21 surely your not too bothered about two pounds? Also 100 on the bicep curl? As in 5 20lb plates? Jesus you must be bloody strong fella.

Your only 2 pounds more than you were at 21 surely your not too bothered about two pounds? Also 100 on the bicep curl? As in 5 20lb plates? Jesus you must be bloody strong fella.

those 2lbs glare at me on the scales, won't be happy until it disappears.

It's a machine, goes up in 15lb intervals with the slider things from the top to add 5lbs at a time.

I know the ones yeah. Don't think I've ever gone up to more than 50 though and my 'guns' are pretty impressive!!

I know the ones yeah. Don't think I've ever gone up to more than 50 though and my 'guns' are pretty impressive!!

Using both arms, so the 100 is split between the two. Should have made that clear in the first post. Try it one armed as well, choose an appropriate weight of course. Quite amusing when someone walks by and sees, then tries to copy and can't do it.

Using both arms, so the 100 is split between the two. Should have made that clear in the first post. Try it one armed as well, choose an appropriate weight of course. Quite amusing when someone walks by and sees, then tries to copy and can't do it.

Yeah! I'm into my shoulders probably a bit too much. Despite the weight I've put on my shoulders are still solid and I've been back doing 100lbs (50 either side) on the shoulder shrug machine. fudging burns but rips them to shreds. Biceps and triceps tomorrow.

I'm 19 and 5 ft 9 inches tall. I used to weigh 8 stone but bulked up from last June to October, got up to 10 stone and gained a lot of muscle. Then I broke both bones in my left forearm arm, stopped eating and ended up at 8 stone again. Now since March I've been bulking up, gained a lot of muscle and am back to 10 stone. But actually have a lot of fat around my stomach now which I've never had before. Guess you can never really win! :lol:

Need to start doing cardio now but need to quit smoking first... I've been smoking for 4 years with asthma as well so my lungs are like a man 20 years my elder!

Yeah! I'm into my shoulders probably a bit too much. Despite the weight I've put on my shoulders are still solid and I've been back doing 100lbs (50 either side) on the shoulder shrug machine. fudging burns but rips them to shreds. Biceps and triceps tomorrow.

My shoulders don't get bigger or stronger no matter how much I try... Started of doing 10kg on the shoulder press machine (nothing I know but my shoulders are VERY weak!) got up to 17.5kg eventually and now they don't seem to want to get any stronger. Very frustrating but will hopefully improve next week when I finally switch from resistance machines to free weights.

I start a new workout plan tomorrow, going to be doing splits instead of full body (I'm not starting it today as I'm playing football tonight). My diet isn't horrendous, I rarely eat fast food but I'm going to be improving that and eating loads more chicken and will make an effort to prepare my lunch rather than just having sandwiches.

My shoulders don't get bigger or stronger no matter how much I try... Started of doing 10kg on the shoulder press machine (nothing I know but my shoulders are VERY weak!) got up to 17.5kg eventually and now they don't seem to want to get any stronger. Very frustrating but will hopefully improve next week when I finally switch from resistance machines to free weights.

You will also notice that if you are new to exercise then your body will develop quickly at first, like with those 2 stone. Then it is harder to add more mass without really pushing yourself.

Take a look at some websites like bodybuilding.com or Men's health for advice and routines. As well as diet. If you have a flabby tummy it's probably sugar intake or alcohol.

Back