• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***The official health and fitness thread***

I play 6-a-side every week and cycle when I can, i've taken up running over the last 2 months and do 3 a week, my speed hasn't improved but my stamina is much better

I'm 30 next Monday and if I don't try and lose weight now, I never will.
Last week I took up DDP Yoga and since last Monday i've gone from 16st 4lb to 15st 13lb.
I think i've finally found something that I can stick with and i'm enjoying it. I can nearly touch my toes without bending my legs which is something i've never been able to do.
ive heard nothing but good things about it.. worth getting?

Also, does anyone really weigh themselves? Numbers like that show you so little. My weight hasn't gone down so much in numbers, yet, I look in the mirror & I can see that I've lost weight. My legs are bulking up and developing more muscle & I feel better for it.

Trust me, I used to weigh myself every day, I've just realised that it's not really worth the dial that the kgs are printed on.

Good to see a variety of activities. I appreciate weightlifting & will likely get in to it as we reach the end of 2015. I'm thinking of deadlifts, squats and shoulder press sets on my days off running. I'm unconvinced that I can develop muscle all that quickly given that I'm in my mid 30s, and I don't want my running to be hindered by muscle gain. I just want to tone up so I don't look scrawny when I've lost more weight from running.

yeah, massively increased by daily exercise but didn't lose any weight at all, guess I was eating more, counting the calories as well now and have shed 3kg quit quickly, another 7 and I'll be happy

ive heard nothing but good things about it.. worth getting?
I can't fault it at the moment. I tried to find as much information as I could on it before starting and I couldn't find a bad word about it. Took the plunge and ordered it. Even when I finish the work out I feel like I want to do more. In 10 days i've lost nearly 7lb.

The only slight negative is that you can only get it "officially" from their own website and it costs about £55 including postage but for me it's money well spent.

I can't fault it at the moment. I tried to find as much information as I could on it before starting and I couldn't find a bad word about it. Took the plunge and ordered it. Even when I finish the work out I feel like I want to do more. In 10 days i've lost nearly 7lb.

The only slight negative is that you can only get it "officially" from their own website and it costs about £55 including postage but for me it's money well spent.

ive been doing the Insanity work out - after 11 days, I've lost 5lbs. I'll give that the full 60 days and see where it takes me. I am definitelt interested in DDP Yoga though.

It's done wonders for my back. I sprained a muscle by my rib about 2 years ago and it's never been right since. In the week or so i've been doing this the pain has pretty much gone. I feel like I have far more energy too and it's very low impact.

It's done wonders for my back. I sprained a muscle by my rib about 2 years ago and it's never been right since. In the week or so i've been doing this the pain has pretty much gone. I feel like I have far more energy too and it's very low impact.

always reminds me of this:

Is this the weightlifting thread? Does anyone, other than me, do anything but lift weights?

Boxing, martial arts ... took a break for most stuff (moved job role and country, disrupted everything), started back with weights, but my preference is fight training.

Putting on gloves an hitting something is way more fun than weights/cardio/running ...

Film yourself from the side and watch your bar path. If it the bar moves away from directly above the middle of your foot, you're doing it wrong. Check that your back remains in extension (I.e flat) throughout the movement. A little bend in the real heavy stuff is not the devil, but if it's ridiculous (if it was you'd probably already know) then reset weight and work on keeping it in extension.

Regarding continuing to move forward, start to micro load (rather than 2.5kg-5kg per workout, go 1kg or even down to 0.5 eventually)

Once you've exhausted your novice progression and absolutely cannot add a single gram per workout you'll need to go to more Intermediate programming, basically upping the weight weekly rather than every workout.

The above applies to the squat too.

WARNING...DONT READ IF YOUR BORED WITH READING ABOUT WEIGHTLIFTING!!!!!!
or if you think I am a 'c u next tuesday, or if your not millsy;)

just finished my third and final workout for the week....a mixture of high's and lows, got the 100kg squat done on Wednesday for 5x5, man was it bloody torture! felt like I was pushing up against a concrete ceiling, let out some raging animal noises on the last reps....talk about time under tension at one point my whole lower chain seized up but I managed to get up there....failed the 102.5kg tonight but didnt feel 100% going into the session.

Getting a bit frustrated with military press....failed twice at 50kg...first time(week before) I missed the last rep on the very last set, on wednesday failed on the the last rep in the third set and downhill from there....mega disappointed with this....Had some joy with Bench press though got 60kg done 5x5 and also deadlifted 117.5kg tonight although that took all the wind out my sails....could bearly muster up the energy to tidy up the garage after as I normally do, putting the weight plates away.

Feel absolutely fooked after this week.

few questions Millsy..... between sets on squats I am good to go again after three mins but with the Press & Bench press I need about 6 mins to go again....is this normal???? Is there anything I can do between sets to help me go again...other than listening to music and making myself angry? :)

And regarding intermediate programs (gonna carry on with the 5x5 still for a bit, deloading is part of the program right?? if you fail a weight 3 times?) what program would you recommend???? I would prioritise strength over a programme for just looking buff I guess.
Eating habits I am trying to bulk.....

sorry that was a bit long winded.

WARNING...DONT READ IF YOUR BORED WITH READING ABOUT WEIGHTLIFTING!!!!!!
or if you think I am a 'c u next tuesday, or if your not millsy;)

just finished my third and final workout for the week....a mixture of high's and lows, got the 100kg squat done on Wednesday for 5x5, man was it bloody torture! felt like I was pushing up against a concrete ceiling, let out some raging animal noises on the last reps....talk about time under tension at one point my whole lower chain seized up but I managed to get up there....failed the 102.5kg tonight but didnt feel 100% going into the session.

Getting a bit frustrated with military press....failed twice at 50kg...first time(week before) I missed the last rep on the very last set, on wednesday failed on the the last rep in the third set and downhill from there....mega disappointed with this....Had some joy with Bench press though got 60kg done 5x5 and also deadlifted 117.5kg tonight although that took all the wind out my sails....could bearly muster up the energy to tidy up the garage after as I normally do, putting the weight plates away.

Feel absolutely fooked after this week.

few questions Millsy..... between sets on squats I am good to go again after three mins but with the Press & Bench press I need about 6 mins to go again....is this normal???? Is there anything I can do between sets to help me go again...other than listening to music and making myself angry? :)

And regarding intermediate programs (gonna carry on with the 5x5 still for a bit, deloading is part of the program right?? if you fail a weight 3 times?) what program would you recommend???? I would prioritise strength over a programme for just looking buff I guess.
Eating habits I am trying to bulk.....

sorry that was a bit long winded.

I was stuck saying yes to all three so I almost closed the browser right then and there ;)

Nope, I don't mind weightlifting but it's good to see other sports represented, especially for my own, selfish, sake those other people that run. It's a bit brick me talking about running & then the post disappears in to irrelevance. Kinda kills any point in making the post at all. Would be short threads if all we ever discussed just disappeared in to one person posts.

I will be getting in to weightlifting in future, probably more from October - February, as the winter kicks in. At the moment, the weather is too good for me to stay indoors & so I'll head out running instead.

Oh and I didn't read your post..yet...it's 7am ish, and so I'm too tired to wade through a post that long but I may look later, so it's not a total disregard of what you've typed. I probably will read it to be honest.

I was stuck saying yes to all three so I almost closed the browser right then and there ;)

Nope, I don't mind weightlifting but it's good to see other sports represented, especially for my own, selfish, sake those other people that run. It's a bit crud me talking about running & then the post disappears in to irrelevance. Kinda kills any point in making the post at all. Would be short threads if all we ever discussed just disappeared in to one person posts.

I will be getting in to weightlifting in future, probably more from October - February, as the winter kicks in. At the moment, the weather is too good for me to stay indoors & so I'll head out running instead.

Oh and I didn't read your post..yet...it's 7am ish, and so I'm too tired to wade through a post that long but I may look later, so it's not a total disregard of what you've typed. I probably will read it to be honest.

Yeah running is good...got much respect for anyone who takes the time to dedicate hours during the week to looking after themselves...whether thats running, training to be a morris dancer, yoga or ju jitsu...

running is just counter productive to what I am trying to do at the moment....as in trying to turn myself into a mini beast!

Yes to all three...cheeky bugger!

One thing I would suggest is that when you are starting to fail on the strict press, start 'push-pressing' the last reps but lower the weight under control (control the negative portion of the reps). Eventually, you will have to push-press on less and less reps until you are strict pressing them all. My 2p worth.

had a long weekend family do, consequently it revolved around eating and drinking, got back out in my running shoes tonight and it hurt like hell, I only had half an hour before dinner so did a quick 5k, I'm sweating like I've run a marathon

I ran 18.4 miles on Monday :D I ran a half marathon in the evening, in the morning I ran 5 miles. Not bad for a workout for the day. If you believe the Garmin Connect watch statistics for calories burned, I burned in excess of 3,000 calories that day, might explain why I feel that I'm getting back in shape again.

I ran 18.4 miles on Monday :D I ran a half marathon in the evening, in the morning I ran 5 miles. Not bad for a workout for the day. If you believe the Garmin Connect watch statistics for calories burned, I burned in excess of 3,000 calories that day, might explain why I feel that I'm getting back in shape again.

Random question but why 2 runs in the same day?

PS. If I ran 5 miles in the morning I wouldn't be getting off the sofa in the evening ;)

Random question but why 2 runs in the same day?

PS. If I ran 5 miles in the morning I wouldn't be getting off the sofa in the evening ;)

I woke up stupidly early, needed to clear my mind, so headed out for a run. I enjoy the route & it's peaceful in the morning, I sometimes listen to music to get through it, other times I'll just run & I'll listen to the sound of the World, which can be soothing in itself when those sounds are bird calls or the sea etc

As for the evening run. I'm with a running club who run a slow 6 mile run on a Monday night. I just tagged on milage from my house, to the meeting point, and then back to my house & the distance was over 13 miles. I knew if I ran slowly, I could run the distance but wanted to prove it to myself, and others. Once I'd started upon the run, it's hard to pull back as you'll only ever feel disappointed that you stopped.

Back