• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***The official health and fitness thread***

Roy1983

Edward Sheringham
I know we had one of these but can't find it. Please merge if found?

2 weeks today of intense exercise and diet change. I've had no chocolate, fizzy and bread only once in the past 14 days. Carbs every other day, slim fast shakes 1/2 times per day and burning 700 calories on the treadmill 5 times a week. A glass of red wine every other day too.

Lost 6 lbs in that time. Need to lose another 3 stone. Target date is November.

Post your stories here and also 2 weeks of tip top dieting but I'm finding the same foods tiring so any tips would be appreciated.

Trying to eat little to no carbs seems to work for me in the short term, it's not the healthiest of diets and I do tend to feel weaker when doing it but I lost around 2 stone last year after a few months of doing it and I'm currently doing it again for a few weeks.

Football is my main thing though, I can't exercise in a gym, my brain just won't engage and I can't do it if I don't enjoy it, same with running etc. Football twice a week is good, can run for hours when I'm not actually thinking about it.

I weigh about 12 stone now, need to look into toning up exercises as I don't really need to lose much more weight.

Last edited:
Just started running on a regular basis due to high cholesterol levels. Am gonna train for a 5k first and take it from there. Not really trying to lose weight, just become healthier. Lots of veggies and grains during the week. No cheese, eggs or fatty foods in general.

Just joined a new gym and had a 12 point health check. They found i'm overweight with a BMI of 28.2 and slightly high cholesterol. The plan is to cut out carbs especially white rice which i tend to have in the evening. White bread i've cut out completely for an age but am fond of potatoes so that needs to be cut. Tend to have sushi for lunch and if not will start making salads.
It takes two weeks to form a habit and then the change is complete i find

I'm finding a few apps useful to give me motivation/keep me honest;

Gym-Pact - This service will charge me money for every workout I miss. I've set the stakes at $5 and told it I will do 3 workouts a week. I can get fined a maximum of $15 per week with these stakes, but if I complete all 3 workouts I will get a share of the money other people have been fined. After using it for a month, I've made $4.59 - which doesn't sound like much, but I'd be gutted if I got charged $5 for missing a workout and lost it all. I use it with Runkeeper, an app that uses my phone's GPS to track my run, but you can also check into your gym with the gym-pact app.

Zombies, Run! - Another GPS tracking app, Zombies Run tracks my run, but it also has a storyline and occasionally warns you that Zombies are chasing you. You have to speed up or you drop whichever items that app has decided you've collected. After your run you can go on the website to spend the items you've collected upgrading your base, it's also compatible with Runkeeper. There is also Zombies, Run! 5k which will also use your phone's GPS to train you. Zombies, Run! is compatible with treadmills I think, though you lose the zombie chases functionality.

Last edited:
I started a fitness regime three months ago - lost 14kgs.

Started with a personal trainer a month ago to work on my core strength etc. Had a slip up this weekend but only a blip.

Dont cut out carbs etc - limit carbs. Its not as simple as calorie counting tho - all about the macros. Mine is 43% Protein, 37% fat (healthy) and the rest in Carbs and no carbs beyond 3pm except for vegetables. Worked for me.

However it really isnt as simple as weight loss - its fat loss you want. Weight loss encompasses muscle loss and water loss etc and want to maintain the muscle. One thing ive learnt - diet is most most important and the gym plays a small part of it but what seems to get neglected when losing weight is weight training. Need to maintain the muscle and with any diet muscle will be lost so makes weights even more paramount.

Good luck dude. I have another 17 kgs to go.

ps - BMI is such a bricky statistic.

Just back from work just a few things. I'm nearly 30, 5ft10 and have yo yo'd in weight all my adult life. Was 18 stone at 20 then went on a major health kick in 2007 and went down to 14 1/2 stone. Haven't trained for 5 years now (Can hardly believe it myself) so decided I needed to do something now.

Thought I'd weigh myself 2 weeks ago and thought id be 17 stone again but to my horror I was 19 stone 2 lbs!!

BMI of 37% was too much to comprehend. So thats where I am now.

I'm down to 18 stone 8 as of today so it's a good start but that's all it is.

Portion control - most people load too much on their plates, you get used to it but you can also get used to smaller portions. Use a smaller plate.

Pilates - I lost inches around the waist doing two classes a week. Do it properly (breathing is crucial) and you'll see the weight drop off plus it improves flexibility, core strength and mental stress.

Walk/cycle instead of driving everywhere. Cars are lazy when you are talking a small journey - i.e one mile. Ideally cycle to work, its free, often just as quick and gets your cardio exercise into your schedule without taking up much free time.

Started yesterday at 14 stone, want to get down to under 13st within 8 weeks, a tough ask?

I ran 4.5 miles tonight at a time of about 8 minutes per mile, happy with that given how crap the weather has been!

Running a 10k inside 3 weeks, barely trained, this could be painful!!

Good luck! Eat lots of oats. Me and a mate of mine used to do a lot of running and a big bowl of oats 1-2 hours before setting out really improves stamina regardless of where you are in your training. For sure it's horse food but it gets you going like a champion thoroughbred.

Started yesterday at 14 stone, want to get down to under 13st within 8 weeks, a tough ask?

I ran 4.5 miles tonight at a time of about 8 minutes per mile, happy with that given how crap the weather has been!

No you'll do that easily. I've now lost 9lbs in 2 weeks.

Got married last year and before the wedding I lost about half a stone to be down to roughly 14, not great but acceptable, since then I've gained two and half stone :eek: Not happy at all, been feeling very tired, pains in my feet and knees and realised that enough was enough, I don't know how people that are 20+ stone are not in constant pain from it, I'm suffering at 16.5.

I've just changed jobs and now drive straight past a gym so I've joined up and been a couple of times this week already. I've also got that myfitnesspal app on my iphone. It's a bit of a ball ache to put in everything that you eat but it does make you realise where you're going wrong. I put in what I had at the weekend and one of the days I'd had over 4000 calories, just because I had a BBQ with sausages and burgers in buns, those buns really add up! That and the beers :) I'd highly recommend this app, it's a bit girly calorie counting but if I know what I'm having for dinner then I put that in first thing, then I know what I can have for breakfast, lunch and snacks, I can also try and save myself 300 calories or so in case I want a cheeky white russian when I get home.

At the gym I'm doing 2 different routines that they arranged for me, one that's mostly cardio - 5min rowing - 15 minutes treadmill - 15 minutes bike - 10 minutes crosstrainer and the other that's mainly weights but still has the rowing and crosstrainer in it.

Obviously I've only just started this but I'll post back here if I have any success. If my previous attempts at losing weight are anything to go by, I'll probably lose a few pounds then plateau, get disheartened and start putting it back on again but hopefully this time will be different, I'm sick of being a chubby sod so have to stick with it.

What have you been doing to achieve this Roy?

I've eaten bread twice in 2 weeks. I'm now eating potatoes/rice every other day. 4/5 small meals a day. Gym 5 days a week doing 50 minutes high intensity power walking with a high incline. That's all!

Weighed myself today and I've now lost 1 stone in 17 days. Unbelievable.

This is why women annoy me. They always bitch and moan about their weight yet if they actually wanted to do something about it, it's really not that difficult to do.

Just takes a bit of self discipline.

Back