• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** The Official Boxing/UFC/MMA thread ***

Britain's Anthony Joshua says he wants to fight WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder in April and has told the American: "I'm running the game."

Joshua holds the IBF, WBO and WBA belts and any bout between the two would unify the heavyweight division.

Earlier this week Wilder, who drew with Britain's Tyson Fury in Los Angeles earlier this month, accused Joshua of "begging" for a fight.

"I'm not interested in Tyson Fury - he's not the champion," Joshua said.

The 29-year-old is yet to confirm an opponent for his next fight on 13 April at Wembley Stadium, with his promoter Eddie Hearn saying "it comes down to what Wilder wants to do".

Joshua told ESPN: "I'm willing to fight Deontay Wilder on 13 April in London. I don't know what more I need to do to get that message across. He's more interested in fighting Tyson Fury. Fury holds no world titles.

"I've booked the date in advance, booked the venue in advance. I want to make my point clear in front of everyone - I'm willing to fight any one of these guys, especially the champion Deontay Wilder.

"I'm the one leading the pack since I made my debut. Five years in, several title defences and I'm running the game. I mean business. I don't know what more I need to do to get that message across to the world. I can handle my business and I'm willing to do that in the ring."

Following the draw between Wilder and Fury earlier this month the WBC sanctioned a direct rematch.

Joshua's promoter Hearn has previously engaged in failed negotiations with Wilder's team.

Maidana was 27 when he fought Khan thats hardly past it. Peterson about the same, Danny Garcia was operating in a good level, his stock was pretty high and was known as a dangerous banger. Malignaggi was 30. I think you might be a little harsh there.

I did say peak or elite level. Maidana, Peterson and Garcia were decent level opponents but hardly household names at the time although they did raise their profiles in later years and come on Malignaggi had lost a few times by then and wasn't considered top level. The best welterweights of his era have been Mayweather, Pacquaio, Cotto, Bradley, Moseley and he didn't go against any of them (I do agree that wasn't always his choice).

Britain's Anthony Joshua says he wants to fight WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder in April and has told the American: "I'm running the game."

Joshua holds the IBF, WBO and WBA belts and any bout between the two would unify the heavyweight division.

Earlier this week Wilder, who drew with Britain's Tyson Fury in Los Angeles earlier this month, accused Joshua of "begging" for a fight.

The 29-year-old is yet to confirm an opponent for his next fight on 13 April at Wembley Stadium, with his promoter Eddie Hearn saying "it comes down to what Wilder wants to do".

Joshua told ESPN: "I'm willing to fight Deontay Wilder on 13 April in London. I don't know what more I need to do to get that message across. He's more interested in fighting Tyson Fury. Fury holds no world titles.

"I've booked the date in advance, booked the venue in advance. I want to make my point clear in front of everyone - I'm willing to fight any one of these guys, especially the champion Deontay Wilder.

"I'm the one leading the pack since I made my debut. Five years in, several title defences and I'm running the game. I mean business. I don't know what more I need to do to get that message across to the world. I can handle my business and I'm willing to do that in the ring."

Following the draw between Wilder and Fury earlier this month the WBC sanctioned a direct rematch.

Joshua's promoter Hearn has previously engaged in failed negotiations with Wilder's team.

It sounds to me like they're now annoyed of the hype the Fury fight gained and that there will likely be a rematch while Joshua is kind of side stepped really with no one decent to fight and a date at Wembley already booked. This always annoys me in boxing when it gets down to politics and money which stops big fights happening and from what I've read it sounds like Hearn has been getting greedy.

I did say peak or elite level. Maidana, Peterson and Garcia were decent level opponents but hardly household names at the time although they did raise their profiles in later years and come on Malignaggi had lost a few times by then and wasn't considered top level. The best welterweights of his era have been Mayweather, Pacquaio, Cotto, Bradley, Moseley and he didn't go against any of them (I do agree that wasn't always his choice).

Well you did say the rest were past it.

You listed the best for sure but the others are very decent, Maidana gave Mayweather all sorts of issues in their first fight and was one of the most underated boxers of recent times in my opinion. Garcia was very decent.

There is no way that Brooks record is anywhere near up there with Khans in terms of being active, going to the states and fighting very decent fighters and certainly not enough in it for people to consider Brook to have operated in the higher circles.

It sounds to me like they're now annoyed of the hype the Fury fight gained and that there will likely be a rematch while Joshua is kind of side stepped really with no one decent to fight and a date at Wembley already booked. This always annoys me in boxing when it gets down to politics and money which stops big fights happening and from what I've read it sounds like Hearn has been getting greedy.

Fury and Wilder stole a march on AJ because AJ and Hearn put more value on money than putting on a fight, Fury v AJ proved people want to see the best and in a strange way despite AJ having all the belts Fury and Wilder have the interest and I think people want to see that Rematch as much as AJ fight either especially if it means Fury could become champ, thats something that AJ and Hearn undervalued and got wrong and now AJ has to bum around for a year all told before he gets back into the relevant circle of fights which is mental when you consider he holds most of the belts

I'd rather see Fury-Wilder II than Wilder v Joshua. I'd be happy enough to watch the latter, but Fury and Wilder have unfinished business. Get that cleared up, and then the winner can go and fight Joshua.

I wonder if Whyte beats Del Boy whether Whyte might fight Joshua in April. Or would that be too soon for Whyte? I'd quite like to see Dillian crash the party.

I'd rather see Fury-Wilder II than Wilder v Joshua. I'd be happy enough to watch the latter, but Fury and Wilder have unfinished business. Get that cleared up, and then the winner can go and fight Joshua.

I wonder if Whyte beats Del Boy whether Whyte might fight Joshua in April. Or would that be too soon for Whyte? I'd quite like to see Dillian crash the party.

Yeh and now he is improving he might have a good chance.

I very much doubt Joshua would go into a Wilder fight, away from home, 4 months on from the biggest fight of his career. Does he seriously expect Wilder to do the equivalent? This has never been on in my opinion and Joshua/Hearn are doing their credibility no favours banging on about it. Just fight Whyte in April and aim for unification after that. That's surely the logical route IF they actually want to get it done.

Unfortunately the current heavyweight situation is far from straightforward.

Whether you like Fury or not he is reasonably charismatic and sells a fight well. But there is no way Hearn will sanction Fury vs AJ - very little to gain and a lot to lose.

Wilder's camp may prefer to take on AJ next, but I can't imagine that happening if the WBC strip Wilder of his belt - too much of a risk for Hearn again. Although Wilder might still go for it with the right money (which he wouldn't be offered).

Wilder vs Fury looks as if it will have to happen. Although I don't see a different outcome. I imagine Wilder probably finds it frustrating to have to go through a rematch in order to get to AJ, and will Fury, who deserves a rematch, be able to a) not get distracted in the interim, b) stay sufficiently motivated. [And I think Wilder would win a rematch]

Which leaves AJ at a loose end and fighting ? Whyte/Chisora, a returning but older and ring rusty Klitschko (bit pointless), Ortiz (can't see Hearn going for this), Usyk (can't see Hearn going for this) - none of those options look particularly enticing. Presumably another hand picked vaguely threatening opponent.

Plus I don't get how they do the rankings - obviously not based on proficiency. For example, Chisora is ranked WBA (#5), WBC (#7), IBF (#5), WBO (#11). Whyte is #1 challenger on the WBC and WBO, #4 on the WBA and not in the top ten IBF. Wilder only features as WBC title holder, and Fury (Tyson) only as #3 WBC contender. Ortiz is only in the WBC and IBF top ten. At least the Ring magazine has more sense.

Hearns rolled the dice for AJ and unfortunately AJ will be a year without a relevant fight, going back to his last to when he next fights. For me Hearns played his politics and its failed his fighter, you can say "the next fights worth £XYZ" but when you get to AJs wealth already its gotta be about fights

Hearns rolled the dice for AJ and unfortunately AJ will be a year without a relevant fight, going back to his last to when he next fights. For me Hearns played his politics and its failed his fighter, you can say "the next fights worth £XYZ" but when you get to AJs wealth already its gotta be about fights

I can't see why they wouldn't go with Whyte next. For me its the biggest fight out there aside from Wilder/Fury, would fit wembley and would be a piece of cake to make. I just wonder if they're starting to see it a potentially too much of a risk...?

I can't see why they wouldn't go with Whyte next. For me its the biggest fight out there aside from Wilder/Fury, would fit wembley and would be a piece of cake to make. I just wonder if they're starting to see it a potentially too much of a risk...?

I think they have to wait for Whyte to have his next fight first, only fair.

Maybe seen as too much of a risk I think

Getting silly now with these comments, talking about how they only want big fights. From what I see they're willing to take any fight as long as they decide the date, venue and all financial terms which just doesn't make sense. It's what makes boxing so tedious at times, they are all loaded and made for life many times over they just need to get the big fights organised. For me belts don't really matter much either if you're fighting the top people they're irrelevant really.

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/11586094/wilder-the-only-fight-joshua-wants

I expect Whyte to win, and that would probably be for the best in the overall scheme of things.....but I'd love to see Chisora drop him.

Whyte should win really but will be an entertaining fight, not worthy of box office for me so I'll give it a miss. Frampton fight looks good as well.

Whyte should win really but will be an entertaining fight, not worthy of box office for me so I'll give it a miss.

Exactly my thoughts. Hearn taking the tinkle. Though, I didn't intend buying Joshua/Povetkin but caved in late on. Need to stay strong tonight...:D

Last edited:
Back