• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** The Official Boxing/UFC/MMA thread ***

And I disagree about the choice of rules. If Mayweather had been interested in winning as quickly as possible and not the paid spectacle, McGregor couldn't have touched him under any ruleset. Mayweather would have won it in round 1 with one or two real punches.

I don't think there are any MMA fighters or boxers who would agree with that. If Mayweather thought he could win in MMA with a quick knockout, he'd take the easy money from a re-match with CM in the octagon and make another $100m. Like I said, he isn't stupid.

I don't think there are any MMA fighters or boxers who would agree with that. If Mayweather thought he could win in MMA with a quick knockout, he'd take the easy money from a re-match with CM in the octagon and make another $100m. Like I said, he isn't stupid.
This. A few kicks would end any contest quickly. If it came to grappling then it would last less than a minute. Boxers just don't have the tools to deal with that sort of barrage.

If the argument is which sport has more skill, that is a different topic altogether.

This. A few kicks would end any contest quickly. If it came to grappling then it would last less than a minute. Boxers just don't have the tools to deal with that sort of barrage.

If the argument is which sport has more skill, that is a different topic altogether.

I see a youtube video awhile ago (can't remember who) of a boxing coach talking about a boxer who got into an mma fight, the boxer told the coach that when he took a kick to the legs, it hurt so bad it made him want to throw up!

I prefer to watch boxing, I think it's a better sport than MMA. But boxers who only box aren't going to win many fights in which an MMA fighter can kick them or take them down to the ground.

I don't see much skill at all. It's just scrapping - look at the career curves in each sport.

And I disagree about the choice of rules. If Mayweather had been interested in winning as quickly as possible and not the paid spectacle, McGregor couldn't have touched him under any ruleset. Mayweather would have won it in round 1 with one or two real punches.

I am sorry the highlighted bit reminds me of a young guy who sat next to me at a bar one morning as I was watching a late season Spurs match. After 5-10 minutes of careful study he declared, "soccer is easy...all you gotta do is be able to kick the ball." A lot of the fighters have wrestling backgrounds that go back to the time they were 9 or 10 and most have trained in some combination of Muay Thai, Jiu-jitsu, Judo, Sambo, etc. You and I may not understand everything that they are doing when they are grappling/ground fighting (it is often difficult to see), but it is a lot more technical than "just scrapping." Even moderately skilled jiu-jitsu students are able to defeat much stronger opponents. Joe Rogan (who has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do & used to teach it) talks about getting easily beaten over and over when he first started learning jiu-jitsu, by much smaller/weaker guys who were better skilled at jiu-jutsu.

Below is 6-7 minute video (with terrible narration) of a 150lb jiu-jitsu practitioner versus a 250lb body builder. The body builder's size and strength don't do him any good when he is confronted by a trained grappler.

Agreed, I think had Mayweather tried MMA then Connor would have quickly taken him down and either submitted him or TKO'd him. I don't think it would have been much of a contest.

Mayweather (and pretty much all boxers) is (are) simply too good at moving for someone like an MMA fighter to get to them. Even allowing for the added range of kicks, a top level boxer would just avoid them.

I'd imagine Mayweather would love a rematch, but boxing is where the real money is - that's the real reason why the fight was a boxing match.

I am sorry the highlighted bit reminds me of a young guy who sat next to me at a bar one morning as I was watching a late season Spurs match. After 5-10 minutes of careful study he declared, "soccer is easy...all you gotta do is be able to kick the ball." A lot of the fighters have wrestling backgrounds that go back to the time they were 9 or 10 and most have trained in some combination of Muay Thai, Jiu-jitsu, Judo, Sambo, etc. You and I may not understand everything that they are doing when they are grappling/ground fighting (it is often difficult to see), but it is a lot more technical than "just scrapping." Even moderately skilled jiu-jitsu students are able to defeat much stronger opponents. Joe Rogan (who has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do & used to teach it) talks about getting easily beaten over and over when he first started learning jiu-jitsu, by much smaller/weaker guys who were better skilled at jiu-jutsu.

Below is 6-7 minute video (with terrible narration) of a 150lb jiu-jitsu practitioner versus a 250lb body builder. The body builder's size and strength don't do him any good when he is confronted by a trained grappler.

Agreed, I think had Mayweather tried MMA then Connor would have quickly taken him down and either submitted him or TKO'd him. I don't think it would have been much of a contest.
I've done enough Judo/Karate in my younger years to understand that technique will easily beat bulk.

That doesn't change my opinion that any UFC fighting I've ever seen is just scrapping. I've seen martial arts as an art form, I've seen boxing as an art form. UFC is somewhere between WWF and a bar brawl.

Mayweather (and pretty much all boxers) is (are) simply too good at moving for someone like an MMA fighter to get to them. Even allowing for the added range of kicks, a top level boxer would just avoid them.

I'd imagine Mayweather would love a rematch, but boxing is where the real money is - that's the real reason why the fight was a boxing match.

We have real life examples that show this isn't true.

A UFC re-match would make a fortune as a one off spectacle/freak show. Mayweather is a smart fighter though, boxing a fighter with no pro-boxing experience was low risk for him. An MMA fight isn't worth the risk for him imo.

We have real life examples that show this isn't true.

A UFC re-match would make a fortune as a one off spectacle/freak show. Mayweather is a smart fighter though, boxing a fighter with no pro-boxing experience was low risk for him. An MMA fight isn't worth the risk for him imo.
Totally agree about the risk - boxers are worth far too much money to leave a controlled environment. Doesn't mean he wouldn't walk the fight though.

Came in to post this but you said it betterer.

UFC in its infancy was how Scara describes it. The whole sport has moved on monumentally. In fact the only area it’s probably still the same is outside the ring, bar a few more celebrities. I’ve filmed enough boxing and cage fighting events to confidently say its much of a muchness which crowd has the more ‘undesirables’.

Also (and I know I’m going to get shot down for this) I have a healthy respect for pro wrestling performers who take their craft seriously. Bret Hart instantly comes to mind. And when a 6’10, 330 pound dude starts flying through the air with agility and balance like the Undertaker, I’m going to give props to that. I don’t consider it a sport but I can appreciate the athleticism (cue pics of King Kong Bundy)

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

In support of @scaramanga :

What happens if the mma fighter isn't silly enough to try and box the boxer:

Interesting thing is, McGregor isn't a fighter that likes fighting on the ground (as I understand it). If he had bad strategy against Mayweather in an MMA, he could risk getting knocked out (assuming Mayweathers hands would be ok in the small gloves, he has had hand problems for a long time iirc).

So, assuming McGregor would want to lower his own risk in the fight and not try and box Mayweather (he's found out already he can't do that), and assuming he won't go for a takedown, I reckon he would use a lot of kicks. An example:

Totally agree about the risk - boxers are worth far too much money to leave a controlled environment. Doesn't mean he wouldn't walk the fight though.

McGregor would annihilate him in an MMA/cage fighting ring. Any fighter worth their salt would. As DZA said there’s been plenty of examples of this in the MMA ring.

Agreed on the McGregor/Mayweather boxing match. If Mayweather really had wanted to, he could have ended that fight before McGregor walked to the centre of the ring after the bell.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

In support of @scaramanga :

What happens if the mma fighter isn't silly enough to try and box the boxer:

Interesting thing is, McGregor isn't a fighter that likes fighting on the ground (as I understand it). If he had bad strategy against Mayweather in an MMA, he could risk getting knocked out (assuming Mayweathers hands would be ok in the small gloves, he has had hand problems for a long time iirc).

So, assuming McGregor would want to lower his own risk in the fight and not try and box Mayweather (he's found out already he can't do that), and assuming he won't go for a takedown, I reckon he would use a lot of kicks. An example:

To my knowledge, Mayweather was the first boxer of note to have fought a UFC "fighter" - has anyone else of that standard ever done so?

I think it's linked above but Randy Couture fought James Toney in the UFC, not Mayweather level obvs but a world champion boxer.
Is that really like for like? I didn't follow much of Toney's career, but he looks pretty fat there and couldn't move when Couture came in for his legs.

The point I'm making is that that couldn't happen with a top level boxer. A top boxer would simply move and not get caught by something so obvious.

Is that really like for like? I didn't follow much of Toney's career, but he looks pretty fat there and couldn't move when Couture came in for his legs.

The point I'm making is that that couldn't happen with a top level boxer. A top boxer would simply move and not get caught by something so obvious.

I don't follow MMA at all so can't really speak to the wider debate here, but James Toney was hugely well-regarded as a boxer in his day. Not a Mayweather-level no.1-in-the-entire-sport type, but certainly in pound-for-pound discussions of the time.

You certainly have a point questioning his shape (and age) at the point that this fight occurred though.

To my knowledge, Mayweather was the first boxer of note to have fought a UFC "fighter" - has anyone else of that standard ever done so?

Toney was definitely a little heavy there and past his prime (though remember, Mayweather was retired for awhile before boxing McGregor) but Couture is older than Toney iirc. Toney was most certainly a top level boxer and a in a way, a bit like Mayweather (defensive, used the shoulder roll, fast hands). Eubank ducked Toney back in the day iirc.

Toney was definitely a little heavy there and past his prime (though remember, Mayweather was retired for awhile before boxing McGregor) but Couture is older than Toney iirc. Toney was most certainly a top level boxer and a in a way, a bit like Mayweather (defensive, used the shoulder roll, fast hands). Eubank ducked Toney back in the day iirc.
Just watch that video - any half-arsed boxer would have seen that coming and moved.

Back