• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** The Official Boxing/UFC/MMA thread ***

I just see Fury frustrating him and out boxing him, you're right though, if he gets clipped a few times he has gone down before and don't get me wrong I'd like to see Joshua KO Fury and Wilder, I quite like the chap.

So only one top five then? Him being in the top ten is fair maybe I was influenced by the list I saw which saw him outside it. And the geneal lack of appreciation I think he receives (possibly from layman) boxing fans. He has an a very good record and I think the only undisputed heavyweight champion to beat to have avenged all his defeats... Or did Ali do that as well? I'
Im boxing fan but no expert. So interesed to hear more learned (is that how you spell it?) Opinions

Well I did say top 5 or thereabouts..., the problem is that ranking him too highly among the all time elite runs into the arguments I outlined earlier in the thread. I do think it gets unreasonable when he starts to drop outside of the top 9 or 10 though.

It may come down to promotion. Lewis was generally unappreciated through much of his career. One reason I was a fan of his was the way he shunned the big name promoters and put his sporting ambitions above anything else. Contrast for example the profiles of Lewis and Joshua (who Lewis would absolutely anihilate)...

I think you're right about being the only one to avenge all of his defeats (Ali certainly didn't do that).

I actually think Joshua was trying to be Lennox Lewis like. Lewis sat behind his jab especially later in his career and sometimes it made him a little dull to watch imo. With Joshuas reach advantage in the last fight he tried to emulate Lewis maybe.

I think Lewis' record on paper looks impressive, but he beat a lot of the greats when they were not at their peak, and he ducked out of a rematch against a young Vitali. Without that classic final fight against vitali I don't think Lewis' rep would be as high.

I actually think Joshua was trying to be Lennox Lewis like. Lewis sat behind his jab especially later in his career and sometimes it made him a little dull to watch imo. With Joshuas reach advantage in the last fight he tried to emulate Lewis maybe.

To give Joshua his credit I think it was a very intelligent game plan - much more so than I'd have expected from him beforehand. If he'd have approached this fight the way he did the Klitschko fight (and virtually every other pro fight he's had), there'd have been a fair chance of him losing. Parker's only chance was to win by stoppage, and Joshua is vulnerable in shoot outs - this was why I had a little sneaky feeling for Parker beforehand, because I expected AJ to come in all guns blazing as usual. Credit to him that he nullified the threat from Parker in the way that he did.

Lewis was in a prime era of boxing and was dodged at his most dangerous, not the other way round, that is something thats often overlooked. 1991 onwards he was fearsome, unreal boxer.

Canelo fight is off, likely to get a 12 month ban. Was looking forward to that, one of the worst decisions I've seen in the first one.

How much did he get? Total joke, completely gone, no footwork or stamina. I kind of half believed his talk and expected much more from him.

GGG was great again, weak opponent but that combo to send him down was brutal.

How much did he get? Total joke, completely gone, no footwork or stamina. I kind of half believed his talk and expected much more from him.

Me too. I picked Haye again because I believed he would right the wrongs in his approach last time, and consequently expected that he couldn't be that bad again. As it turned out he was far worse. I actually felt sorry for him because he looked a total shell.

I met Bellew yesterday over Canary Wharf. He was a complete gentleman, chatted, did a selfie with me, talked about the fight and Haye. So chilled out. 11 hours before the fight!

It's Lomachenko V Linares on Saturday, that should be a great fight. Lomachenko is ridiculously technical and Linares is pretty classy as well. I'm going to have to go with Lomachenko though, looks so good every time I've seen him which to be fair isn't much.

Really hope Brook V Khan can be agreed for this year, a catch weight of 150lbs should be doable.

It's Lomachenko V Linares on Saturday, that should be a great fight. Lomachenko is ridiculously technical and Linares is pretty classy as well. I'm going to have to go with Lomachenko though, looks so good every time I've seen him which to be fair isn't much.

Really hope Brook V Khan can be agreed for this year, a catch weight of 150lbs should be doable.

Gone with Linares in a sixfold. Linares is for me, one of the P4P best in the world. Classy fighter at range and very decent on the inside too. 4-5 inch reach advantage against Lomachenko which shouldn't be sniffed at. I expect Linares to box behind the jab and give Lomachenko a bit of a schooling for the first 6-7 rounds and then be happy to fight up close once the rounds start to rack up and Lomachenko feels the pace given he is relatively inexperienced and hasn't gone the distance since 2014. Don't forget, Lomachenko is also coming up for his first fight at the weight which is a big ask. Good fighter but slightly overhyped given he has only fought 11 times.

Lomachenko is off the scale, Linares no chance

Disagree completely. Lomachenko has only fought 11 times, he is clearly a good fighter but you are dismissing someone who is a 4 time world champion in 3 different weight classes, he is WBA and The Ring lightweight champion and should really be still WBC lightweight champion as well. Lomachenko has a reach deficit of 4-5 ins against a renowned 'boxer' - someone who can jab away and box at range but can also work very well on the inside.

It should be an amazing fight but I would make Linares the favourite - stronger CV, comfortable at the weight, world champion at the weight already and has no issue going the distance, something that Lomachenko hasn't done in 4 years and coming up to lightweight for this fight being his first at the weight is a big gamble for the boy although no shame if he loses.

Disagree completely. Lomachenko has only fought 11 times, he is clearly a good fighter but you are dismissing someone who is a 4 time world champion in 3 different weight classes, he is WBA and The Ring lightweight champion and should really be still WBC lightweight champion as well. Lomachenko has a reach deficit of 4-5 ins against a renowned 'boxer' - someone who can jab away and box at range but can also work very well on the inside.

It should be an amazing fight but I would make Linares the favourite - stronger CV, comfortable at the weight, world champion at the weight already and has no issue going the distance, something that Lomachenko hasn't done in 4 years and coming up to lightweight for this fight being his first at the weight is a big gamble for the boy although no shame if he loses.

We will see my friend

I hear what your saying the reason Lomachenko has had so few fights was because he stayed at amateur level for so long, his pedigree at amateur level which obviously isn't anywhere near the pro level is ridiculous - mean who else has gone 396-1. Thats better than GGG. 2 Olympic golds shows what his mentality is like. The stepping up in weight is a good point though, Linares isn't a big puncher but Lomachenko might not have felt such power before given he's stepping up.

I still fancy Lomachenko but maybe I'm getting excited by the new pretender than the old stalwart but either way can't wait to watch it and I'm glad this fight has been made.

Back