• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** The Official Boxing/UFC/MMA thread ***

Dillian Whyte summed it up in a word quite nicely: "Pathetic"

Nobody wants this fight apart from Wilder from the looks of it, not at this stage anyway. When 99.5% know the first fight was Fury's and he obviously obliterated Wilder in the 2nd, what is a third fight going to prove?

It could be to our advantage as it'll mean AJ will take the mandatory at our shiny new home but man it's a shame we won't get a proper blockbuster British heavyweight bout...

Happy to be corrected but is boxing the most frustrating sport to follow? Appreciate football comes to mind but at least there's some kind of regularity with fixtures and who is going to face who so you know where you're at.
Might just be rose tints but I don't think it used to be like this.

It doesn't help when the sport has people like Eddie Hearn in it who know nothing about the sport and care even less about it. He will shamelessly keep AJ from anyone half decent until his career is over, unless one of them turns up as a mandatory. That won't happen with Fury though as he doesn't have the patience for the churn.

Might just be rose tints but I don't think it used to be like this.

It doesn't help when the sport has people like Eddie Hearn in it who know nothing about the sport and care even less about it. He will shamelessly keep AJ from anyone half decent until his career is over, unless one of them turns up as a mandatory. That won't happen with Fury though as he doesn't have the patience for the churn.
Fury has said he is 2 or 3 fights then out. That's what he has left with his ESPN deal.

He'll never duck anyone and actually needs his opponent to be decent to get fully engaged in the process.

FWIW I do think AJ would take better fights if he didn't have Hearn sticking his nose in.

Looks like Fury Wilder 3 is set for July in Vegas. Disappointing but what can you do. Hopefully Fury deals with him again and we can see some more exciting fight this year.
There's already a few decent heavyweight fights lined up...

April - Dubois/Joyce
May - Usyk/Chisora and Povetkin/Whyte
June - AJ/Pulev
July - Fury/Wilder 3

Chisora is going to get absolutely fudged up by Usyk, if it ever happens.

Anyone on here done white collar fights before? Signed up for one in late June, hoping all this virus brick will have blown over by then. Obviously I've picked up my training and cut out all toxins as I had gone through a long spell of taking things waaay too far. Just trying to get as much sparring in as possible with any many different types of fighters. I'm lucky to be able to have picked my fitness back and I'm at the stage where I can go for a few rounds and think tactically rather than just stumbling about gassing after 30 seconds haha

Edit - I should probably add the justgiving page in case any of you absolute legends wanted to help out a bit with the fundraising side of things!

https://www.justgiving.com/fundrais...ngpage&utm_source=Facebook&utm_term=mAzRbNmgk

Last edited:
2 consecutive posts on a thread is probably getting to awkward levels like sending two or three unanswered text messages / DMs to someone you're in to but I'm not arsed.

What with the general shut down Sky have been releasing a fair few full fights so I've been doing some catching up time permitting. As I've mentioned on here previously I'm still fairly new to boxing so have rewatched some fights but saw some great fights for the first time.

Froch / Groves 1 and 2 - fudging amazing but differing reasons. The 1st for the utter flimflam stoppage but 2nd is a real eye opener how gaining confidence in a fight can lead someone to feel too comfortable and then it's lights out. Had not seen Groves apart from some quick clips here and there and despite him being a Chelsea fan he definitely earned some respect with me, even if he showed a bit too much youthful naivety at times in these fights.

Khan / Canelo - Was a funny one as I know the reputation that Canelo has in the sport now but this was a while back so commentators were totally off on so much "Throwing body shots isn't really Canelo's game..." etc etc :rolleyes: To be fair Khan took some proper shots in this fight, you can just see the energy / confidence getting sapped out of him which is understandable and it was a finish and a half.

I've also re-watched Mayweather / Mcgregor and can confirm that the fight actually took place. MMA isn't really my sport but I'll watch it, it was just mad to see Conor blowing out of his arse and a 37/ 38 year old Floyd barely getting out of 2nd gear.

Bellew / Makabu too, I imagine he won't get a lot of love on here being a scouser and all but I'm a massive fan. Pushes it a bit at times but the determination the guy shows is quite something.

Getting through all the boxing related content on prime too, "Hatton's last stand" was an interesting yet ultimately sad watch but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Can anyone suggest any tall rangy fighters for me to do some research on? I asked one of my coaches but got "AJ" as an answer which was a tad predictable and like anyone who has got in to the sport recently I've seen most of his already anyways...

2 consecutive posts on a thread is probably getting to awkward levels like sending two or three unanswered text messages / DMs to someone you're in to but I'm not arsed.

What with the general shut down Sky have been releasing a fair few full fights so I've been doing some catching up time permitting. As I've mentioned on here previously I'm still fairly new to boxing so have rewatched some fights but saw some great fights for the first time.

Froch / Groves 1 and 2 - fudging amazing but differing reasons. The 1st for the utter flimflam stoppage but 2nd is a real eye opener how gaining confidence in a fight can lead someone to feel too comfortable and then it's lights out. Had not seen Groves apart from some quick clips here and there and despite him being a Chelsea fan he definitely earned some respect with me, even if he showed a bit too much youthful naivety at times in these fights.

Khan / Canelo - Was a funny one as I know the reputation that Canelo has in the sport now but this was a while back so commentators were totally off on so much "Throwing body shots isn't really Canelo's game..." etc etc :rolleyes: To be fair Khan took some proper shots in this fight, you can just see the energy / confidence getting sapped out of him which is understandable and it was a finish and a half.

I've also re-watched Mayweather / Mcgregor and can confirm that the fight actually took place. MMA isn't really my sport but I'll watch it, it was just mad to see Conor blowing out of his arse and a 37/ 38 year old Floyd barely getting out of 2nd gear.

Bellew / Makabu too, I imagine he won't get a lot of love on here being a scouser and all but I'm a massive fan. Pushes it a bit at times but the determination the guy shows is quite something.

Getting through all the boxing related content on prime too, "Hatton's last stand" was an interesting yet ultimately sad watch but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Can anyone suggest any tall rangy fighters for me to do some research on? I asked one of my coaches but got "AJ" as an answer which was a tad predictable and like anyone who has got in to the sport recently I've seen most of his already anyways...
Depends how far you want to go back but Tommy the hitman Hearns was tall and rangy and a class fighter with it.

And of course Hagler v Hearns was easily in the top 5 fights ever.

This is exactly the kind of shout I was looking for, nice one!

Now you mention it I remember seeing some of that fight a while back. Absolutely insane how much punishment they were both able to take. Is this sacrilegious to say the Donaire inoue fight last year reminded me a bit of it? Obviously different fighting styles but such a gladiatorial kind of battle..

Deontay Wilder has admitted that "something was wrong" causing his defeat to Tyson Fury but said "no-one should be surprised" by his desire to fight again.

Fury floored Wilder twice and stopped him in seven one-sided rounds to become WBC heavyweight champion 14 months after they initially fought to a draw. They are expected to fight again in October.

"In my eyes I don't see Fury as a champion," Wilder told Premier Boxing Champions' podcast. "He ain't the champion yet because we've still got one more fight left."

Wilder insisted his body language was wrong: "When I took off my mask, the things that I was doing. I've been in this sport a very long time so people automatically know how I am. People that know boxing know that it wasn't Deontay Wilder on that night. I was a zombie on that night.

"I wasn't myself. I felt like a zombie.

"I'm still reflecting. I can't believe the things that happened. I'm figuring things out."

Wilder has previously claimed that his ring-walk outfit, weighing 40lbs, tired his legs and contributed to his loss.

The American, previously undefeated in 43 and feted as one of boxing's all-time hardest punchers, intends to pursue his right to a third fight with Fury.

"No-one should be surprised. I am who I am, Deontay 'The Bronze Bomber' Wilder," he said.

"Why wouldn't I want it?

"He knows that wasn't me. I know that wasn't me. That wasn't the real Deontay Wilder, something was wrong.

"There is more fuel on the fire. This is the final straw."

IBF, WBA and WBO champion Anthony Joshua hopes for an undisputed title fight with WBC holder Fury after he defends his gold against Kubrat Pulev.

In the aftermath of Wilder's defeat his head trainer, Jay Deas, said that he disagreed with fellow trainer Mark Breland's decision to throw in the towel.

Wilder said about his team: "We've had a lot of people reach out but you have to be careful. Some people want publicity.

"There are two people that I'm bringing in.

"I'll get my team in order and we can move forward with our game-plan for the third fight.

"Everybody wants what you have, but they don't want to work as hard or sacrifice as much. People get envious. This is one of the things that I had to weed out.

"In life you lose more than you win. Some people don't know how to bounce back from a loss. People want to see someone lose to see how they get up. I lost in the ring but I'm winning in life.

"Sometimes you get used to things, get comfortable with things. You still have hunger, but it isn't the same as when you first tried to get into the rankings and go on to fight for a world title.

"This has allowed that hunger to come back.

"I'm never down about losing because it makes me stronger to come back and overcome."

He plans to seek more advice from legendary heavyweight George Foreman.

"It was good talking to George," Wilder said. "We talked about things from his career, good and bad. Different tricks of the trade. Certain things that he saw in my fight. He wants to show me some methods to strengthen certain parts of my body.

Tall and rangy, you could try Paul Williams. Check out Martinez's KO.

Staggering lack of class. Even more so considering he's had a good few weeks to come to terms with things.

It's like he doesn't understand how it works. Tyson responded yesterday with a fair amount of common sense.

Fury responded to Wilder’s latest comments on Instagram, blasting his rival for refusing to accept he lost a fair fight. He said: ‘Keep letting your self down, Deontay Wilder. It’s sad. It was you I smashed that’s the truth. Just admit it and move on, it’s just a fight you win some you lose some that’s boxing pal.’

It's even better when Wilder has claimed that is isn't Wilder in the gym but "the bronze bomber", so if he says it wasn't really Deontay Wilder in the ring then it should be good according to him.

I was really interested to see how an L would affect him (an official one considering the first bout) and who knows, he could come back stronger and stun us all when it comes to the fight. For now it just doesn't seem like it's registered at all...

Terrible outcome but Benn v McClellan is probably the best fight I’ve ever seen.

This is exactly the kind of shout I was looking for, nice one!

Now you mention it I remember seeing some of that fight a while back. Absolutely insane how much punishment they were both able to take. Is this sacrilegious to say the Donaire inoue fight last year reminded me a bit of it? Obviously different fighting styles but such a gladiatorial kind of battle..

If you're looking for decent fights then these two forgotten gems are worth a watch.

and

Here's some sportswashing in boxing that will bring you all the Fury Joshua fight.
This is also the gang Troy Parrott's mate's father runs operations for.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/cri...different-story-on-the-global-stage-1.4260283
Daniel Kinahan: A different story on the global stage?

Daniel Kinahan has been in the news a lot lately and it has little to do with his leadership of the most profitable organised crime group in Irish history.

Rather, the sports pages and blogs have been lauding the 42-year-old Dubliner as a global power broker in the world of boxing and the only man capable of organising one of the most anticipated bouts in the sport’s history.

Gardaí believe it is the culmination of a secretive campaign by Kinahan and his associates to redeem his reputation, at least internationally, and allow him to take a place at boxing’s top table.

Employing sophisticated reputation management strategies, Kinahan is suspected of using the media, the law and the internet to draw attention away from his role in a gang feud which has taken the lives of 18 people and establish himself as what his law firm says he is, a legitimate Irish businessman known for his work in the boxing sector.

It is a strategy which appears to be working. Take, for instance, the coverage of Kinahan’s recent moves in the boxing world in the international press.

The UK Daily Mail calls him a “controversial boxing broker” before detailing how well regarded he is in the boxing community. It does not mention his role in the Kinahan organised crime group, unofficially known in Ireland as “the Cartel”.

Similarly, laudatory articles on websites like British Boxing News also fail to mention his criminal past.

Irish coverage is markedly different. Last week, the Irish Sun called him a “mob boss” and “drugs kingpin” in the first two lines of a piece while an opinion article in this newspaper last Saturday states “Daniel Kinahan’s role as boxing’s new kingmaker is no cause for Irish celebration”.

Usually it’s the other way around; Irish media is constrained by some of the strictest defamation laws in Europe meaning it often has to pull its punches when discussing public figures. However, the situation is different with Kinahan.

In 2018, a High Court ruling stated he controlled the Kinahan crime gang which was involved in drugs and weapons smuggling on a global scale. A month earlier, a Spanish police officer told a court in Marbella that Kinahan had ordered the murder of gang rival Gary Hutch on the Costa Del Sol in 2015.

Just last week, a garda told the Special Criminal Court the Kinahan gang was a sophisticated organisation which had ordered the murder of Patrick Hutch.

Kinahan has always been involved in boxing but the apparent campaign to whitewash his reputation is very recent.
‘Helps a lot of people’

Much of the positive commentary online about Kinahan can be traced back to a song and music video released by UK rapper J Spades on April 2nd last. The song, Major Plans, which has more than 1.5 million hits on YouTube, portrays Kinahan as a man “24 hours from being fully legit” and someone who “helps a lot of people”.

J Spades raps: “Today you’re legit and your business official. But back then you went through some brick like tissue.” The central message of the video concerns the infamous shooting in the Regency Hotel in February 2016, an event which triggered the most bloody phase of the Hutch-Kinahan feud.

The lyrics lay out a conspiracy theory that the Irish Government and the Garda were behind an attempt to kill Kinahan at a boxing event organised in the hotel that day by his company MTK.

“Twenty minute calls to police, no pick up,” says Spades. “Guess the government wanted somebody dead, hoping the bullets hit somebody’s head.” Spades did not reply to a request for comment this week.

Less than half an hour after the song was uploaded, it was shared by Spencer Fearon, a boxing promoter and the head of the MTK Global Foundation, the charitable arm of the management company co-founded by Kinahan.

The video has been shared thousands of times, including by many well-known boxers managed by Kinahan’s now former company MTK Global. It was also shared by two-time heavyweight champion Tyson Fury, the most famous boxer in the MTK stable.

On the same day it was uploaded the hashtag #truthaboutregency began to appear on social media platforms, with most of the posts defending Kinahan and portraying the Regency shooting as a Government conspiracy. By last Thursday the hashtag had been posted nearly 300 times and shared many times more. The vast majority of the Twitter posts came from outside Ireland. Many came from accounts which had only been set up in March or April.
‘Documentary’

It is difficult to determine how much of this activity is organic and how much is part of an organised campaign. For example, an account set up under a woman’s name last month has posted almost exclusively about Kinahan and the Regency.

“Major Plans was interesting so I started doing some research and to be honest at the start I didn’t think much about it but the more you dig the more you uncover and it made me feel sympathy towards Daniel Kinahan,” the account’s operator told this newspaper. They said they had never heard of Kinahan before the song. “Feel sorry for the man though.”

Perhaps the most bizarre development was the release of a “documentary” about the Regency shooting on Monday. The 14-minute film repeats many of the conspiracy theories outlined in J Spades’ song.

In a reenactment, Kinahan, portrayed by an actor, is seen to be deeply worried about the safety of the boxing fans at the event; in one shot he watches with concern as a young child enters the hotel.

The voiceover accurately states there was no Garda presence at the event despite the threats on Kinahan’s life. However, it also contains major inaccuracies and misrepresentations, including that it took emergency services 20 minutes to respond to the shooting (they were on the scene three minutes after being alerted).

A major plank of the conspiracy theory – that the Government wanted to frame the Continuity IRA for the shooting to damage Sinn Féin’s election chances – makes little sense, considering the long-standing disharmony between the two groups.

The film has very high production values for a YouTube film. The actors are professionals and the weapons and special effects appear realistic. The lobby of the hotel bears a striking resemblance to the Regency’s before it was done up, even down to the large marble R on the floor. A spokesman for the Regency said none of it was shot there. Even the fake garda uniforms worn by the gunmen are close matches to the real thing.

It is very hard to find information on the film or who commissioned it. The Irish Times has determined it was partly filmed outside a Cardiff hotel in 2019 but it is not known if the hotel gave permission (it did not respond to queries). The man playing Kinahan is a jobbing Welsh actor and photographer and according to the film website Mandy, it was directed by a Welsh indie director who had won several Welsh Baftas. Neither man returned requests for comment.

The film appeared on the Scarcity YouTube account which is run by a Birmingham man. “No matter how much you want to take the mick out of me, I’m listened to every day by thousands and thousands of people,” he said, when contacted by this newspaper.

He said he received the video from an anonymous source. “I had nothing to do with making it. I was contacted on social media and asked if I wanted to platform,” he said. “I’m not endorsing any of the stuff. I put it out there so people could make up their own minds about it.”

Asked if he thinks Kinahan is connected to the documentary, he said “I wouldn’t rule anything out”. On Thursday the film was taken down by YouTube for using copyrighted material from the Irish Independent.

Kinahan has also instructing his lawyers to send legal letters to publications portraying him in a negative light, including The Irish Times.

The letters threaten defamation actions in the UK courts if newspapers do not take various corrective actions.

Kinahan has hired Brandsmiths, a “boutique” London law firm which specialises in defamation and claims an impressive client list, including Brazilian footballer Roberto Carlos and celebrity chef Gordan Ramsey.

“Protecting the privacy and reputation of our clients – many of whom are well known, public figures – is paramount to us,” its website states.

Brandsmiths did not respond to a list of questions concerning the services it provides to Kinahan.

“There is a very good reason all of this is focused on the UK and not Ireland,” said a Garda who has been involved in investigating Kinahan-related crime for several years.

“His reputation here is damaged beyond repair. But they can whitewash it in the UK and the Middle East and America where people don’t automatically hear ‘Daniel Kinahan’ and think ‘Cartel’. And it’s all towards one end.”

That end is profit. Kinahan is considered by many to be the man who can facilitate a fight between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua, a bout which could be worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Back