• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2015/16 Premier League Thread

Just seen the full move for the Liverpool 'miss' near the end of the match. Officials had a massive brain fart with the offside rule.

fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

edit: no I don't, it really was offside

I thought you were riffing on the Vertonghen disallowed goal from last season

Just seen the full move for the Liverpool 'miss' near the end of the match. Officials had a massive brain fart with the offside rule.
Watching MoTD, I think they were just late on the call rather than wrong.

At the very end of the clip, you can see the ref making the offside gesture.

Watching MoTD, I think they were just late on the call rather than wrong.

At the very end of the clip, you can see the ref making the offside gesture.

I think he blew for another offside later in the move, after Benteke's 'shot'.

It can't have been for the initial offside, as the flag has to go as soon as Bentekek is active, which was immediately.

They naffed it up.

I think he blew for another offside later in the move, after Benteke's 'shot'.

It can't have been for the initial offside, as the flag has to go as soon as Bentekek is active, which was immediately.

They naffed it up.
In that case they naffed it up twice, because the ball from Benteke comes off the keeper.

In that case they naffed it up twice, because the ball from Benteke comes off the keeper.

Quite possibly.

My thinking is that the first flag should have gone up when they're 45 yards out, not 8.

Either way, there were FOUR of them off. Terrible decision, conversely reminiscent of the bad call that Vertonghen got when he scored on that breakaway.

Strange that MOTD glossed over with a glib comment. It could have been a huge moment if it were nil nil at the time and Bentekek had scored it.

Keeper? No Leiva was 2 meters in front of Benteke when he took the "shot", and that was what the lino flagged for. Schmichchchchchcel was nowhere near at that time. Benteke was at least 5-6 meters offside when he first recieved the ball, as there was only 1 Leicester player between him and the goal line. Massive blunder by the refs on the initial incident, the 2nd one with Leiva was correct. Yes, it cam off the Leicester defender, but Leiva was in an offside position when Benteke took the shot, and Leiva gained an advantage of being in an offside position, and was rightfully flagged for offside.

Keeper? No Leiva was 2 meters in front of Benteke when he took the "shot", and that was what the lino flagged for. Schmichchchchchcel was nowhere near at that time. Benteke was at least 5-6 meters offside when he first recieved the ball, as there was only 1 Leicester player between him and the goal line. Massive blunder by the refs on the initial incident, the 2nd one with Leiva was correct. Yes, it cam off the Leicester defender, but Leiva was in an offside position when Benteke took the shot, and Leiva gained an advantage of being in an offside position, and was rightfully flagged for offside.
Sorry that's right - it was the defender, not the keeper.

Unless the rules have changed significantly, it shouldn't matter if he gains an advantage from being offside, if the defender's touch is deliberate (and it was) then it can't be offside.

Unless the rules have changed significantly, it shouldn't matter if he gains an advantage from being offside, if the defender's touch is deliberate (and it was) then it can't be offside.
No, you are wrong about that. The defender didn't pass the ball. It was a block/deflection, not an intentional act, thus it's offside.

I thought that the defender has to be deemed in control of the ball in order to play opponents onside?

As the Leicester player merely stuck a leg out to block Benteke' shot.

Back