• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Match of the Day Thread

does it need to do that though?

it would be a better show if the BBC approached it as a news programme

I don't think what it currently is serves either audience particularly well but I think that news style coverage would be too dry.

No doubt the BBC would say their remit is to entertain as well as inform, but MOTD usually ends up doing neither. Lineker did give me a laugh last night, though: "Did you enjoy that one, Alan? Did you enjoy it?"

One of the BBC's rising stars has moved in to pole position as a future Match of the Day presenter after being handed the job on a one-off basis later this month.

The future of the MOTD line-up has been the subject of much debate this season with some observers commenting that the format of the BBC's flagship highlights show is beginning to look a little jaded.

Now it has emerged that Football Focus presenter Dan Walker will sit in for regular host Gary Lineker a week on Saturday when the former England striker is absent for personal reasons.

Walker, aged 35, is highly-rated at the BBC, having come through the ranks on local TV before moving on to national prime-time slots a few years ago.

Having previously worked at the Olympics, Wimbledon, The Open, Ascot and the last World Cup, the Crawley Town fan is seen as one of the corporation's mainstays of the future and has been presenting Football Focus since 2009.

But Walker will not anchor the MOTD 2 highlights programme as the devout Christian refuses to work on a Sunday.

There is no suggestion that there is any threat to Lineker's position.

Lineker remains highly thought-of by the BBC and most public discussion recently has been about the quality of the guest pundits.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2243323/Dan-Walker-primed-replace-Gary-Lineker-Match-Day-presenter.html

One of the BBC's rising stars has moved in to pole position as a future Match of the Day presenter after being handed the job on a one-off basis later this month.

The future of the MOTD line-up has been the subject of much debate this season with some observers commenting that the format of the BBC's flagship highlights show is beginning to look a little jaded.

Now it has emerged that Football Focus presenter Dan Walker will sit in for regular host Gary Lineker a week on Saturday when the former England striker is absent for personal reasons.

Walker, aged 35, is highly-rated at the BBC, having come through the ranks on local TV before moving on to national prime-time slots a few years ago.

Having previously worked at the Olympics, Wimbledon, The Open, Ascot and the last World Cup, the Crawley Town fan is seen as one of the corporation's mainstays of the future and has been presenting Football Focus since 2009.

But Walker will not anchor the MOTD 2 highlights programme as the devout Christian refuses to work on a Sunday.

There is no suggestion that there is any threat to Lineker's position.

Lineker remains highly thought-of by the BBC and most public discussion recently has been about the quality of the guest pundits.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2243323/Dan-Walker-primed-replace-Gary-Lineker-Match-Day-presenter.html

It should be Richardson when Gary goes.

Walcotts hatrick was very good to be honest. I hate them but they can look very good going forwards when they are looking good

Walcott is massively underrated by Spurs fans. He's not a winger, as he has no brain, but he can be a striker with his pace and finishing ability. Not unlike a young Defoe actually

It is ridiculous to say he has no brain, he is quality. As I remember he showed his quality during our last 2 visits to the Effimerates when he ripped as apart on both occasions

Walcott is massively underrated by Spurs fans. He's not a winger, as he has no brain, but he can be a striker with his pace and finishing ability. Not unlike a young Defoe actually

I think that is because he is massively overrated by everyone else just because he plays for L'arse. I mean being taken to the 2006 world cup when he hadn't done anything. Being picked so regularly on the right ahead of Lennon. I can be reasonably objective about gooners Fabregas was special and RVP is world class imo. Walcott is just ordinary - a good player who is nothing amazing. I can remember soo many games when teams defend against him properly and he is totally nullified. I find it laughable to compare him and Bale. In his position (left wing) at the present time there is no one better in the premiership. With regard to his hatrick vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine, is first goal was very good but the other 2 were just shocking defending by Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

By the way agree with the Walcott/Defoe comparison. I was thinking exactly the same thing myself. Still, much as I like Defoe, I'm sure most spurs fans would recognise he is good but not special same with Walcott. Although I think Walcott is bigged up to a much greater extent.

He's massively overrated by the media (just like every other English player), but I find most fans, of all clubs, don't think he's all that.

Back