• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Lane, The Finale

Still catching up on al the media but there's a very nice piece in the Telegraph.
The title of the piece makes me very proud :
Tottenham show the world how to leave a stage
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/14/tottenham-show-world-leave-stage/

There was a handout given yesterday, an 'Order of Service' I guess for want of a better term. I put it straight into the provided bag and only looked at it this evening. It was lovely to read that everyone involved in the ceremony, from the overall Director to Kenneth Branagh to the Opera Singer to the guy in charge of all the music - they are all Tottenham fans. A real 'family' affair.

Ah, tickle my balls with a feather! You said it, brother. I can't stand fans who says it's all about winning this or that trophy. Winning a trophy is obviously the greatest achievement, but you must be a pretty sad fudge if you think winning trophies are the only thing to following a football club. And all this gonads about "this team won't be remembered if they don't win anything" flimflam - maybe not by flavour of the month pundits or your average neutral, but I'm pretty fudging sure every Tottenham fan on the planet will remember the team we've had these last few seasons. Heck, I even remember the bricky team that finished 14th back in 1999 and Klinsi's 4 against Wimbledon! It was ace! Do I remember who won the Premier League in 2005? fudge, no, couldn't care less.
Too right!. One of my all-time favourite teams since the early '60s was the coruscating 86/87 one that had the dazzling Glenn Hoddle, Chris Waddle and Ossie Ardiles all providing the ammunition for Clive Allen's record-breaking 49 goals. That team also had the incomparable Richard Gough and Gary Mabbutt at CB, Ray Clemence in top form in goal and the classy Danny Thomas at RB. The only weak link was Mitchell Thomas at LB although to my mind he was never quite as weak as some fans would have you believe.

The team was coached innovatively by David Pleat who was among the first (I think) to deploy a five-man midfield (Hoddle, Ardiles, Paul Allen, Chrissy Waddle and Steve Hodge) behind a single striker (Clive Allen) up front.

Definitely a team to remember for the wonderful attacking style of football we played yet one that failed to win a single trophy, finishing third in the League, reaching the SFs of the League Cup and losing to Coventry at Wembley in the FA Cup Final.

What did for us that season was a savage tackle in March that put Danny Thomas out for the rest off the season. From that point neither of his replacements (an off-form Gary Stevens and an ageing Chrissy Hughton) was able to replicate the classy, empathetic understanding he'd struck up on the right flank with Glennda so from then on results began to falter.

Last edited:
So I'm stood there on the front, row having just got soaked running around on the pitch (for no other reason than (a) I could and (b) I never have in all my 58 years) when the heavens open and I start to get really soaked. My initial thought was, this is just fudging typical, the big man upstairs just had to tinkle on our parade one last time! Then in the same moment I thought, well maybe it's all part of his plan and the sky's will clear again before the end of the ceremonies and we'll end up in sunshine (tbf this was not the epiphany it would first appear, as, if I'm truthful, I had pored over the BBC weather website prior to picking my outfit for the day). But then I thought if the sun shines there'll be a rainbow somewhere. How cool would that be? Then I thought, don't be fudging stupid, this is Spurs you're talking about here. It'll tinkle it down until it gets dark and we've all gone home. Then it'll clear and he'll laugh at us again :(

BUT.......... all those ST holders who were no longer there to see her off and that people had laid white roses for in the goal mouth, all the Lilywhites like Bill Nick, John White, Dave Mackay, Cyril Knowles, Alf Ramsey, Ralph Coates etc., etc......... and most recently Ugo must have had a word (probably something along the lines of #dosomethingkind you old taco) cos.......

Cos now I can't look at that fudging rainbow over The Shelf-Side (driving down Worcester Road in the 60s is my earliest memory of WHL) without welling up........

So I'm stood there on the front, row having just got soaked running around on the pitch (for no other reason than (a) I could and (b) I never have in all my 58 years) when the heavens open and I start to get really soaked. My initial thought was, this is just fudging typical, the big man upstairs just had to tinkle on our parade one last time! Then in the same moment I thought, well maybe it's all part of his plan and the sky's will clear again before the end of the ceremonies and we'll end up in sunshine (tbf this was not the epiphany it would first appear, as, if I'm truthful, I had pored over the BBC weather website prior to picking my outfit for the day). But then I thought if the sun shines there'll be a rainbow somewhere. How cool would that be? Then I thought, don't be fudging stupid, this is Spurs you're talking about here. It'll tinkle it down until it gets dark and we've all gone home. Then it'll clear and he'll laugh at us again :(

BUT.......... all those ST holders who were no longer there to see her off and that people had laid white roses for in the goal mouth, all the Lilywhites like Bill Nick, John White, Dave Mackay, Cyril Knowles, Alf Ramsey, Ralph Coates etc., etc......... and most recently Ugo must have had a word (probably something along the lines of #dosomethingkind you old taco) cos.......

Cos now I can't look at that fudging rainbow over The Shelf-Side (driving down Worcester Road in the 60s is my earliest memory of WHL) without welling up........

I couldn't believe my eyes. I was in Paxton upper a few rows from the front and I was absolutely gob-smacked. I will say when Glenn walked out, grit in the eye, then 'Can't Smile Without You' some big grit...and then after I'd hung around and was basically the last person leaving to meet my mates in the Bell, as I shuffled and dawdled along the concourse, darting up stairs for one more view, when a steward said it was time to go, I lost it. Burst into tears. Because that was that. The last time. The last walk. Another steward quickly shuffled me along with him and onto the lower concourse, where I grabbed one final snap. I spent most of today wrecked physically and mentally. I knew it would be emotional, but I am still working through them even now...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Found this posted at /coys on reddit; Gylfi was there! .. Come home Gylfi.

liLsjtN_d.jpg

Found this posted at /coys on reddit; Gylfi was there! .. Come home Gylfi.

liLsjtN_d.jpg

I'm happy he still has a fondness for us. I don't think he'll come back, though - no sense sitting on the bench for us when he could be starring for Swansea, or even a more high-profile club like Everton (provided they in turn let go of Barkley).

I'm happy he still has a fondness for us. I don't think he'll come back, though - no sense sitting on the bench for us when he could be starring for Swansea, or even a more high-profile club like Everton (provided they in turn let go of Barkley).

Unfortunately if Barkley leaves we're his likely destination..

I think Sigurdsson is a better player than Barkley, by some distance.. But that's a discussion for another place.

Last edited:

I am so envious of all of you who managed to get on the pitch. I would have loved to have watched the last game from the Shelf Lower, (which as a bonus would have made getting onto the pitch possible) but the ballot put me in the PL Upper (and I was just glad to have a ticket).
The only other opportunity for a full pitch invasion that I can recall was in 1977. Last game of the season, already relegated, and we beat Leicester. At the final whistle fans ran onto the pitch. My dad and I were standing quite close to the front. My abiding memory is of an old man (well, he seemed old to my 10 year old eyes) next to us looking down at me and saying in a stern voice "I hope you are not going to run on there". And of course, I didn't.
40 years later (probably not far off to the day) and I missed out again!

But that's the only little regret from a fantastic day.

I couldn't believe my eyes. I was in Paxton upper a few rows from the front and I was absolutely gob-smacked. I will say when Glenn walked out, grit in the eye, then 'Can't Smile Without You' some big grit...and then after I'd hung around and was basically the last person leaving to meet my mates in the Bell, as I shuffled and dawdled along the concourse, darting up stairs for one more view, when a steward said it was time to go, I lost it. Burst into tears. Because that was that. The last time. The last walk. Another steward quickly shuffled me along with him and onto the lower concourse, where I grabbed one final snap. I spent most of today wrecked physically and mentally. I knew it would be emotional, but I am still working through them even now...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
I'm struggling.........I still think I'm going to go back there....I might have to go up and see her flattened, in the hope of closure.

The thing I really really love is we are staying bang there at WHL. Everything else will be the same......we're just kinda 're-building her all at once.

We're not moving.......we're staying right where we've always been.

I'm glad I've managed to visit WHL. Forgot the amount of expences, lost fear about not getting visa, took my gf and saw with my own eyes three games in a space of one week in August, 2014. Had a fantastic time in London, one of the most memorable times abroad. Also met Darren from GG (@GrimsbyYid), his friend Mark and one guy from Russian Spurs who lives in Luton.

Then travelled alone in the end of November, to the Everton game and saw with my own eyes Bobby scoring from open play! I was just after Archway Sh*t Metal Works was burnt. Met Mark again and a friend from Luton. Also made friends with two great guys from Denmark. We've been chatting and drinking all day before the match and after. And even at night. A very memorable day and a very bad condition in the morning :) Should have missed the plane but luckily the flight was delayed a bit.

I was in a hurry to see as many matches as possible, because I understood, that our beloved stadium wouldn't last for too long. Looking back, I still can't believe that only ~2.5 years passed after my visits and WHL is being demolished now. May be we all have been waiting for so many years to see the building process start up. May be it's just the tempo of stadium construction which amazes me.

Still life goes on and very soon we'll have a new unique experience.
Farewell, old WHL!

Attachments

• IMG_8399.jpg
    IMG_8399.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 13576853_1182469445107533_1763832475842872749_o (1).jpg
    13576853_1182469445107533_1763832475842872749_o (1).jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 30
It was great to see Cliff Jones, Terry Medwin and Terry Dyson there yesterday, they were with the club when I first went. I said to my son I was pleased to see John Pratt, Vinny Samways, David Howells and Terry Naylor get a good hand, it's not all about super stars, these guys sweated blood for the club and made up for any lack in skills by grit and determination, anyone who's played the game know every club needs these type of blokes.

Hear, hear.

Finally, John Pratt gets some love. A real trier, that guy.

That's nice. He had arguably the hardest job of all our recent managers, he was the one who got us to turn the corner and start moving forwards again.

Also Frank Arnesen's root-and-branch reworking of the club and new approach shouldn't be underplayed.
Yes, he left us in a bit of a grubby way but at the time I remember being grudgingly understanding in view of him turning down a doubling of salary only for Abramovich to then offer him triple.

Think i might change my username, not a mention of White Hart Lane by Bale, Soldado managed one, Beckham managed one, Nial from One Direction managed one!! but not Bale. Add that to him tweeting good luck to a couple of Arsenal players before their Cup Final a couple of years ago it would seem he's forgotten all about his Spurs connection.

Think i might change my username, not a mention of White Hart Lane by Bale, Soldado managed one, Beckham managed one, Nial from One Direction managed one!! but not Bale. Add that to him tweeting good luck to a couple of Arsenal players before their Cup Final a couple of years ago it would seem he's forgotten all about his Spurs connection.

At best our 4th best left back of recent years after Rose, Ekotto and Davies. Can fudge right off.

Back