• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer window thread.

The answer to everything about how the team performs, how it is set up, how it is motivated, how it is selected - if thats not the manager, then who?

THAT is precisely where I have issues, and Poch is absolutely the person to be asking questions of.

He has been manager 5 years. Throughout which time the team has had a plan, an identity, an ethos. He built it, established the standards. And now he is acting like a man who has just had the job a few weeks, apparently doesnt know his best set up, how to manage the group, who to pick...

When actually he should know these players inside and out, who can do what, what buttons to press to get a response, who is up for it and who isnt...

THAT is a management issue.

Yes, we moved stadium, had a year without buys, have a budget... Yes, these things can impact upon the squad/team etc. And Yes, while the manager should have an eye on the road ahead and have plans in place - not all of this is his doing at all (although there certainly appears to be a fair amount he has inflicted upon himself).

However, for the most part it does fall to him to fix.

If he doesnt have the players for a formation, its his job to find one that works with/for them.
If he doesnt have players that are committed, its his job to either re-inspire them or find players that are (and there are those players in the squad)
If he doesnt think the players can perform to his established ethos, he needs to find a way of providing them the required focus
If the players dont understand what they should be doing, dont understand the system - its on him to train them and get them up to speed.

And its these things where I am just not seeing him perform. NONE of which have anything to do with all the noise around complicating factors. It is fundamentally a management issue.

And even still, during that period, he has bought in Sanchez, Moura, Son, Foyth, Sissoko, Aurier... Players of either reputation or potential, and most often at no small cost.

After already having the like of Kane, Lamela, Eriksen, Dier, Vertonghen... in the squad.

Yes, we have a budget, and have had to try and operate with a bit of ingenuity, but despite that we still have an excellent team/squad. One capable of mounting title challenges, hitting finals/semis, and being considered one of the best and most consistent in the land.

So yes - we havent spunked billions like others - but does that really mean its just to be in this situation now - in this form - with these players?

If thats yes for you, then fine - we'll have to agree to disagree. Because its a firm no for me.

I has massive bearing on it. He knows them all, intimately. As they know him. He knows what they are capable of. They know the standards they have reached. He knows the strengths/weaknesses of them all, do the finest detail - and so has absolutely NO excuse for the aimless scrambling he appears to be going through now in search of something that works.

If he was new to the job things would make much more sense. He isnt. And that is, IMO, not to be dismissed - I believe its a significant point.

Even if the whole refreshing thing is true (and I do doubt it) Poch should know precisely what works, how to work, to get this team playing somewhere near the level the quality of players it has demands.

100% agree.

Wondering how much money we will have to sign players over the next year.

3 players leaving on a free and no one wanting rose, wanyama, Aurier. I'm guessing we might have to sell to buy.

Who would you sell?

Wondering how much money we will have to sign players over the next year.

3 players leaving on a free and no one wanting rose, wanyama, Aurier. I'm guessing we might have to sell to buy.

Who would you sell?

I think we have plenty I really do

I did the sums ages ago and just on this years money were about £50m spare

pass in previous years of non expenditure, new financing on debt and increasing revenues and I think it’s £100m upwards if we want to spend it

and one move I’d make is a controversial one. I’d sell Dele and use the money for sancho (yes we would need another £30/£40m)

pass in previous years of non expenditure, new financing on debt and increasing revenues and I think it’s £100m upwards if we want to spend it

and one move I’d make is a controversial one. I’d sell Dele and use the money for sancho (yes we would need another £30/£40m)

Think bigger clubs will be circling for Sancho sadly.

Last edited:

I don't think we can use past spending as a guide, the point of the stadium was not to have those constraints.

None of us know, but I think the sell to buy days are done. I also think if the results continue to be below par, we will buy to improve (Levy manages money, he isn't stupid)

I don't think we can use past spending as a guide, the point of the stadium was not to have those constraints.

None of us know, but I think the sell to buy days are done. I also think if the results continue to be below par, we will buy to improve (Levy manages money, he isn't stupid)

that’s what’s I said
We have money and will spend

I largely agree with you @DubaiSpur.

I suspect that part of the reason for Eriksen's appalling form is that his ego has taken one hell of a bruising. He clearly thought that the Spanish giants were interested in him this summer and no interest materialised, even when it was clear that we would sell him for a reduced fee. I think that a move to Germany looks more likely now.

I fully agree.

There has been some talk of interest in Italy for both Alderweireld and Vertonghen. Depending on the club, I could see them both doing well out there and playing for a few more years.

I actually think one or both will end up at Ajax. They've talked about their desire to return, and apart from Blind, Ajax do not have any good centre-backs at the moment.

Jan and Toby might be the mentors that would allow the likes of Schuur and Gravenbech to grow into the side more easily - a necessity if Ajax see another exodus this summer (which seems likely-Van De Beek, Onana and Neres seem pretty nailed on to leave come 2020).

Maybe Danny Rose's best chance of his much wanted move back up north is to follow in the footsteps of another Spurs fullback who thought he was too good for us and join Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Don't care where he goes, would just like him to leave at this point before his legacy is tainted by his ongoing decline. He had a fantastic start to his Spurs career, struggled, then proved all the doubters wrong and had a fantastic couple of years. But he's on the decline now, and 2020 seems a good time to just cut the cord by any means necessary. He will have more than earned his testimonial.

I fully agree.

I actually think one or both will end up at Ajax. They've talked about their desire to return, and apart from Blind, Ajax do not have any good centre-backs at the moment.

Jan and Toby might be the mentors that would allow the likes of Schuur and Gravenbech to grow into the side more easily - a necessity if Ajax see another exodus this summer (which seems likely-Van De Beek, Onana and Neres seem pretty nailed on to leave come 2020).

Don't care where he goes, would just like him to leave at this point before his legacy is tainted by his ongoing decline. He had a fantastic start to his Spurs career, struggled, then proved all the doubters wrong and had a fantastic couple of years. But he's on the decline now, and 2020 seems a good time to just cut the cord by any means necessary. He will have more than earned his testimonial.

I’m worried @DubaiSpur becaue I’m agreeing with all of your comments again

I’ve said for ages that Toby would be going back to Ajax. I always thought Jan would get an extension here and maybe coach but that doesn’t look likely

Interested if anyone can offer any insight into Malang Sarr vs Nathan Are as potential left-footed CB talents. Ake we know about, Sarr is supremely rated.

The problem is we may soon find ourselves in a position where we now have more money to spend but aren't as attractive due to potentially not even being in Europe.

I think being out of Europe or the CL won't be a problem for a year or so. In terms of how much money we'd have, we'll make something like £100m + free cash and then its just a question of how Levy allocates that between debt reduction and transfers.

Based on that figure you could add potentially up to £50m if we can sell Wanyama (£10m), Rose (£10m) and if we can find someone to take Eriksen in Jan. Perhaps more if we flog Aurier too. On Eriksen though, I dont see why he'd take a deal at a lower wage in Jan, rather than wait til the summer

I think being out of Europe or the CL won't be a problem for a year or so. In terms of how much money we'd have, we'll make something like £100m + free cash and then its just a question of how Levy allocates that between debt reduction and transfers.

Based on that figure you could add potentially up to £50m if we can sell Wanyama (£10m), Rose (£10m) and if we can find someone to take Eriksen in Jan. Perhaps more if we flog Aurier too. On Eriksen though, I dont see why he'd take a deal at a lower wage in Jan, rather than wait til the summer

Though I agree with about being out of Europe for the season wont matter. I'm not sure we will get much money if any for the players you mentioned.

I'm wondering if we will have to sell one of the big names. I think if Kane has a good euros I would sell him for 160m. Could give us 250mish to build the next great team.

My biggest issue with this season is we are not blooding youngsters which will be around for this new team. Parrot and skip should be getting game time or be out on loan.

My biggest issue with this season is we are not blooding youngsters which will be around for this new team. Parrot and skip should be getting game time or be out on loan.

This is a big issue for me also. I really don't want Parrott and Skipp having the same issue as KWP and Onomah of spending two years in the first team squad, not playing any football and their development stagnating.

Back