• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

Arsenal have been encouraged to sign Burnley's New Zealand striker Chris Wood, 28, as a replacement for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, 30, if the Gabon international decides to leave this summer
They can go back to the long ball Arsenal team of the 70s and 80s that their fans all know and love.... Saying that I'm slightly worried that Mourinho might try to buy him for our own long ball game!

Where is the 12.5% going - into the Woolwich coffers or donated to the NHS?

if it’s the former, then less tax paid = less funding for the NHS than currently.

Last edited:
Yep so in real terms and players are taking a 5.6% cut on what they take home and Goons are saving 16m a month, 7m if which would be paid in tax.

Oh and Ozil is apparently one of 3 has players yet to agree to the cut...

Looking at Arsenal's last set of accounts, they seem to be financially a lot more healthy than a lot of clubs. They have £100m in the bank and their short terms assets outweigh their short term liabilities (for comparison Liverpool had £37m in the bank and -£150m in terms of short term obligations i.e. debtors - creditors). Even at that, Arsenal are paying out up to a couple of million a week in player wages.

Personally, I'm a bit disgusted at football players at the moment. They seem to want to draw a full wage when their employers aren't taking in any money. For me, given what they earn, it's obscene bordering on immoral. I know people will say "Well football clubs are owned by billionaires so let them pick up the bill" but I don't think that argument holds water and it'll be the clubs that suffer in the long run as I don't see the owners dipping into their own fortunes to fund this. I really thought the players would step up but they haven't (the sketchy NHS announcement notwithstanding) and the fact Ozil seems to be one of those holding out says enough for me.

Looking at Arsenal's last set of accounts, they seem to be financially a lot more healthy than a lot of clubs. They have £100m in the bank and their short terms assets outweigh their short term liabilities (for comparison Liverpool had £37m in the bank and -£150m in terms of short term obligations i.e. debtors - creditors). Even at that, Arsenal are paying out up to a couple of million a week in player wages.

Personally, I'm a bit disgusted at football players at the moment. They seem to want to draw a full wage when their employers aren't taking in any money. For me, given what they earn, it's obscene bordering on immoral. I know people will say "Well football clubs are owned by billionaires so let them pick up the bill" but I don't think that argument holds water and it'll be the clubs that suffer in the long run as I don't see the owners dipping into their own fortunes to fund this. I really thought the players would step up but they haven't (the sketchy NHS announcement notwithstanding) and the fact Ozil seems to be one of those holding out says enough for me.

Not all footballers are on big money, not even all PL footballers, and without knowing what peoples outgoings are you can't make judgement based on income alone.

It's not always down to the billionaire owners either, in some cases they are merely owners of an investment fund with a large shareholding rather than traditional owners. Berkshire Hathaway own a load of shares in Apple, but it's not down to Warren Buffet to stick his hand into his pocket is it.

I may have misunderstood but hasn't Ozil merely asked for assurances as to where the money saved on wages will be used, rather than outright refusing?

Ozil is an exceptional case I think.

I work for a bank, if I was told I need to take a 5% pay cut in take home pay to stop cleaners and maintenance staff losing their jobs while the office is closed in many ways I’d be happy to do so.
If my bank continues to report huge profits I’d expect the 5% to be paid back ahead of any other non binding commitment. I understand why footballers may be sceptical at their responsibility to support their employers if there are billionaire owners who are not offering as much as a loan to ease the cash flow. The smaller prem teams seem to have managed to do it with less fuss, perhaps they feel more of a part of the club and fortunate to be playing for them than those nearer the top?

There are worse offenders than footballers too, imo. The brass neck of Branson asking for a government loan whilst he lives in a tax haven for example. Tax avoiders Saint Gary Barlow playing a song on Teletext to raise everyones spirits etc etc.

The other thing that’s annoying me is the more genuine a club is in terms of relying on real word income the more they are going to be impacted by this than the financially doped ones, so any prudence required post the virus will not have to be observed by them and create a bigger gap in what they can spend

Last edited:
Back