• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

Having seen the highlights I’d have to question how the xG works again... Fulham are the worst defensive side in the league and arsenal haven’t struggled to score even under the dark days of Wenger

Fulham are far too open at the back and Arsenal as you say have never had a problem scoring.
Fulham remind me of Saudi Sportswashing Machine both incorrectly still think they can outplay better teams.
Arsenal are much better this season but still have many problems when under pressure from a proper attacking team.
Going forward Arsenal are very hot and cold at times but should still be looking at top four, this will make the season much tougher for the all the so called big six.

Fulham are far too open at the back and Arsenal as you say have never had a problem scoring.
Fulham remind me of Saudi Sportswashing Machine both incorrectly still think they can outplay better teams.
Arsenal are much better this season but still have many problems when under pressure from a proper attacking team.
Going forward Arsenal are very hot and cold at times and should be looking at top four, this will make the season much tougher for the all the so called big six.

Arse are playing well but their winning games they should win. Bigger test will come

Fulham are cannon fodder caught in the mind set of thinking their better than they are

I dont watch them but listen to a lot of podcasts and the consensus seems to be they were the worse side for most of the game against West Ham, Everton, Watford and gave away a lot of chances. They do however have very good attackers and you cant argue with the actual results.

Having seen the highlights I’d have to question how the xG works again... Fulham are the worst defensive side in the league and arsenal haven’t struggled to score even under the dark days of Wenger
That xG is a load of rubbish then isn’t it? Goons were well worthy of the big win yesterday, if the stats say otherwise for the game, then like you say, you have to question them.

XG like all stats is no good in isolation, it provides insight not conclusions. Look how many shots Fulham had compared to Arsenal on the Graph, they had lots of low XG shots that add up while Scum had fewer better chances. I didn't watch the game but does that sound about right, Fulham shooting from anywhere?

XG like all stats is no good in isolation, it provides insight not conclusions. Look how many shots Fulham had compared to Arsenal on the Graph, they had lots of low XG shots that add up while Scum had fewer better chances. I didn't watch the game but does that sound about right, Fulham shooting from anywhere?

I don’t remover Leno making a save

It’s about quality of chances, I’ve not seen the game, the xG map suggests to me that both sides took a similar amount of shots from similar positions inside the box (and Fulham many more from outside) but that arsenal were more accurate and/or the Fulham keeper made more mistakes

It’s about quality of chances, I’ve not seen the game, the xG map suggests to me that both sides took a similar amount of shots from similar positions inside the box (and Fulham many more from outside) but that arsenal were more accurate and/or the Fulham keeper made more mistakes
I didn't watch the first half, but apparently Fulham scored late against the run of play. Second half it was all Arsenal, just a matter of how many they could score.

I didn't watch the first half, but apparently Fulham scored late against the run of play. Second half it was all Arsenal, just a matter of how many they could score.

xG isn’t about run of play and ball possession though, it’s about the position a player is in relative to the goal (and defenders) when attempting to score.

If two teams only manage one shot on goal each in a game and both score, the team who knocked in a 1 yard tap in will have a much higher xG than the team who scored a screamer from 40 yards out.

Nobody who watched that game could say that Arsenal didn't deserve to win by a couple of goals. Maybe 1-5 flattered them a little, but they were clearly better than Fulham.

I think the goons have been like us so far this season, not playing that well, rub of the green here and there but they have got results. I think there is more to come from our players based on previous performance and how our seasons always unfold under Poch (we start slow the first couple of months and get stronger). I have no idea if there is more to come from the gooners, or whether this is as good as they get (with these players) and that their results will end up more accurately representing this performance level.

xG isn’t about run of play and ball possession though, it’s about the position a player is in relative to the goal (and defenders) when attempting to score.

If two teams only manage one shot on goal each in a game and both score, the team who knocked in a 1 yard tap in will have a much higher xG than the team who scored a screamer from 40 yards out.
Whatever it is, it isn't your description of the game I saw.;)

Arse are playing well but their winning games they should win. Bigger test will come

Fulham are cannon fodder caught in the mind set of thinking their better than they are

I cant say I agree with that. Fulham came up playing an open, attacking style, and did so playing very well.

They are just continuing to play that way as its what they know. It would equally be a disaster if they just tried to play defensive, its not their game and a big transition.

At this point I think they need to be pragmatic and find a balance, but I can see why they are playing as they are.

Dont forget, they made a large number of transfers in the summer, so a consistency from last season to this will help bed them in too.

I cant say I agree with that. Fulham came up playing an open, attacking style, and did so playing very well.

They are just continuing to play that way as its what they know. It would equally be a disaster if they just tried to play defensive, its not their game and a big transition.

At this point I think they need to be pragmatic and find a balance, but I can see why they are playing as they are.

Dont forget, they made a large number of transfers in the summer, so a consistency from last season to this will help bed them in too.

The way their going they will have a lot of expensive players in the championship

Open attacking football is great when you have the quality but actually have they signed real quality???

They need to get back to basics to stay up IMO and pretty football is fine once you get some clean sheets

Fulham came up playing an open, attacking style, and did so playing very well.

And they will go back down the same way.
My family support Fulham along with Brentford so I watch both of them quite a bit. I'm not sure Fulham will be able to change to a safety-first defensive style.
Think they need to beat Huddersfield, Cardiff and Saudi Sportswashing Machine at home and get some points from Brighton and Southampton.
Going to be tough for them, I also like their style, but pragmatism will be needed if they want to stay up. Don't think money is an issue though which is a big bonus.

The way their going they will have a lot of expensive players in the championship

Open attacking football is great when you have the quality but actually have they signed real quality???

They need to get back to basics to stay up IMO and pretty football is fine once you get some clean sheets

Not really my point. My point is simply they have a style embedded in the club, and it makes sense they havent abandoned it.

As I said - I do think they need to be more pragmatic - but it must be in a balanced way, that stays true to how they set up. Evolution, not revolution.

And they will go back down the same way.
My family support Fulham along with Brentford so I watch both of them quite a bit. I'm not sure Fulham will be able to change to a safety-first defensive style.
Think they need to beat Huddersfield, Cardiff and Saudi Sportswashing Machine at home and get some points from Brighton and Southampton.
Going to be tough for them, I also like their style, but pragmatism will be needed if they want to stay up. Don't think money is an issue though which is a big bonus.

They most likely will! I had them 50/50 at best to stay up before the season, its not looking good so far...

Not really my point. My point is simply they have a style embedded in the club, and it makes sense they havent abandoned it.

As I said - I do think they need to be more pragmatic - but it must be in a balanced way, that stays true to how they set up. Evolution, not revolution.

They most likely will! I had them 50/50 at best to stay up before the season, its not looking good so far...

Or style over substance ...

Fulham are a likebable club but one that needs some quick thinking ASAP to keep them up

I even rate their manager

Wolves have an embedded style, they have also signed loads of players and look way ahead of Fulham who the. Are uo with because they have adapted

Back