• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

It's been massively close between us for more than 2 years, look at say the last 5 or 6 seasons we have been within literally touching distance of them each season

Close but no cigar, they have qualified for CL, finished above us and won 2 FA cups in that time. Their fans are unhappy with that, I would be very pleased.

Close but no cigar, they have qualified for CL, finished above us and won 2 FA cups in that time. Their fans are unhappy with that, I would be very pleased.
Compare their revenue with ours. Compare their net spend on transfers with ours. Compare the wages they pay their top players with ours. Compare how far they have fallen from Wenger 's early years to where we have risen from to almost match them toe to toe. They have potentially 2 proven world class players in their squad in Ozil and Sanchez. It is arguable if we have one. They really should be putting together a sustained title challenge but aren't. They should have won last year.

Last edited:
Compare their revenue with ours. Compare their net spend on transfers with ours. Compare the wages they pay their top players with ours. Compare how far they have fallen from Wenger 's early years to where we have risen from to almost match them toe to toe. They have potentially 2 proven world class players in their squad in Ozil and Sanchez. It is arguable if we have one. They really should be putting together a sustained title challenge but aren't. They should have won last year.

How much did the great Huddersfield Town team cost? what was their revenue? No I don't know either I know they dominated at the time. At the end of the day that's what's remembered. It's a fact Woolwich have been better than us for years they have been able to grow their wealth, fan base and ability to sign big name players because they were successful. I understand a lot of people get caught up in the local rivalry thing but it's all go to far when fans can't see what is obvious, it may not be palatable but it's the truth for no matter what reasons they have out performed us. Hopefully we can progress and if we could achieve the dominance over them for the same period time they have had the upper hand on us it would be great.

No matter where they come from Arsenal fans always come across like cringey children that don't realise how entitled they are

yawn4.jpg

Indeed; they have been majorly underachieving with Wenger for years now. His coaching is now mediocre (e.g. his defence stats are getting worse and they are relyng more and more on individuals like Sanchez getting them out of jail), his scouting is now mediocre (how much has he spent in the last 3 summers and how many of those players have actually excelled?) and now there are zero excuses for their stagnation (cash spent in last 3 years, Leicester's title win, us actually having title challenges) and his waning powers cannot be camouflaged now like they were by good PR before.

It is in our interests that he stays, so long may he reign! #WengerIn

Sunday 30th April, last NLD at the Lane (until the next NLD at the new Lane anyway)....and i'll be there. West Stand alas but in theory a game to remember.... in practice I'll be so refreshed it will all be a blur :) I hope we steamroller them....

Sunday 30th April, last NLD at the Lane (until the next NLD at the new Lane anyway)....and i'll be there. West Stand alas but in theory a game to remember.... in practice I'll be so refreshed it will all be a blur :) I hope we steamroller them....
I hope so too, but you can bet your arms and legs they'll somehow regain some form for that game

How much did the great Huddersfield Town team cost? what was their revenue? No I don't know either I know they dominated at the time. At the end of the day that's what's remembered. It's a fact Woolwich have been better than us for years they have been able to grow their wealth, fan base and ability to sign big name players because they were successful. I understand a lot of people get caught up in the local rivalry thing but it's all go to far when fans can't see what is obvious, it may not be palatable but it's the truth for no matter what reasons they have out performed us. Hopefully we can progress and if we could achieve the dominance over them for the same period time they have had the upper hand on us it would be great.
With the greatest respect mate I think you have got that wrong. This not an argument driven by local rivalry. Even the most myopic Spurs fan has to concede that Arsenal have had more recent success than us and that Wenger has transformed Arsenal football Club. But we are talking about the here and now where Spurs are going toe to toe in the league with the likes of Arsenal, City, Utd and Chelsea despite the huge financial disparity. Arsenal are doing no better than us at the moment in terms of a title challenge. Forgetting the other teams for a moment and compare them only to us; from the position Arsenal have been under Wenger and Spurs have been under our various managers it shows we have closed the gap. It represents a significant drop in their standards, a drop that imo their financial position compared to ours does not justify. While Wenger does deserve respect for his achievements you can also acknowledge that under him, Arsenal are not performing at their previous level.

Arsenal have lost the instincts, reflexes and hunger to succeed in the PL nowadays. Too much focus on remaining sustainably profitable, not enough hunger to win. The whole culture of the club has softened.

Spurs have had to rely on developing better instincts, resources and motivation, while exercising the will to use them, in order to become and remain top-five competitive. We may not win the league in the short term, but as the club move into a new stadium that will let that resource base grow, that's a far better club culture to be working with than the smug contentedness that permeates Arsenal.

A lot of it off the pitch is down to the relentless striving of Levy. At last, he's found a manager who brings the same qualities to the pitch.

Arsenal have lost the instincts, reflexes and hunger to succeed in the PL nowadays. Too much focus on remaining sustainably profitable, not enough hunger to win. The whole culture of the club has softened.

Spurs have had to rely on developing better instincts, resources and motivation, while exercising the will to use them, in order to become and remain top-five competitive. We may not win the league in the short term, but as the club move into a new stadium that will let that resource base grow, that's a far better club culture to be working with than the smug contentedness that permeates Arsenal.

A lot of it off the pitch is down to the relentless striving of Levy. At last, he's found a manager who brings the same qualities to the pitch.
In a nutshell. That is why they need a change in management imho. It may lead to some short term pain but they have enough resources to bounce back. In any case Wenger cannot go on forever.

I'm only trying to make the point that people shouldn't write Woolwich off and assume we will finish above them. They have prove in the past they can finish the season strongly. The money thing is annoying but it's something we have to live with, Woolwich, United, City, Chelsea and possibly Liverpool will pay bigger fees and wages than us and we have to carry on with what we are doing, building a team. For too long we've been a club with one or two stars and at lot of water carriers, at last we are building something and as long as everyone at the club believes in that strategy I think we can progress. I feel too many people get wrapped up in the "I hate Woolwich/Liverpooh/Chelsea/United" crap and fail to see the strengths of those clubs (why the Woolwich, because my Dad always called them that as that was their name when he started following Spurs). We've come along way in the past few years but have won nothing, after all the crap I've watched over the decades I'm happy with what I'm seeing and it's my opinion we are a better team than all but Chelsea at the moment. I still hold to the unpopular view that not playing in Europe is a big bonus and has let Chelsea field their best XI virtually every week and until we can afford to pay good players to sit on their arse we will struggle to win the league.

Last edited:
This gooner makes some of the clams on here seem cheerful :) Okay they are spoilt good for nothing scum, but when things unwind we will always be able to fall back on our dedication, tradition and devotion. Spurs have never been successful post 60s but that's okay, and touch wood we'll retain some class and tradition in our new digs.

Lets just hope these glory hunting goon clams don't jump ship for the classy club in these parts. Can we be successful, and not like them?

From Highbury to new lows: an Arsenal fan laments missed chances
Toby_Moses_L.png

Toby Moses
The future seemed bright after the 2006 Champions League final but since then it has been a sorry saga of lies, a soulless new stadium and an absentee owner

Arsène Wenger cuts a disconsolate figure on the touchline during Arsenal’s capitulation against Bayern Munich. Photograph: South/Si/Rex/Shutterstock
Shares
Comments

Contact author

@tobymoses
email
Wednesday 8 March 2017 22.27 GMTFirst published on Wednesday 8 March 2017 22.00 GMT

Eight-two down on aggregate, 12 minutes more to play, thousands of disgruntled fans streaming from the Emirates Stadium. For the first time, I’m among them.

Highbury didn’t die for this. It’s a phrase that became almost a mantra for Alan Davies’s popular podcast – The Tuesday Club – that ended last season, a group of lifelong fans left with nothing new to say about a club determined to bring fresh meaning to the phrase stuck in a rut. It wasn’t always like this.

22 July 2006. Dennis Bergkamp’s testimonial. The Emirates is packed. Fresh from a narrow loss in the Champions League final to Barcelona, Arsenal, my club, feel as if they on the verge of a breakthrough. In the words of the then managing director, Keith Edelman: “The whole purpose of our move to Emirates Stadium is to develop increased revenues so that they can be invested in the development of the team … It is clearly an important part of what we are trying to achieve and that is to make Arsenal one of the leading clubs in Europe.”

Many thousands of words have been written about what’s gone wrong since, but whether you put that down to the board, the manager, the sudden influx of foreign billionaires – gone wrong it has, leaving me, a season-ticket holder of more than 20 years, sitting in a soulless shell of a stadium, all the joy stripped from the thing that I’ve loved for as long as I can remember.

Arsenal fans have a bad reputation – often deserved – but the idea that we’re a bunch of graceless, ungrateful, passionless cretins is as hard to swallow as any prawn sandwich. Yes, the atmosphere at the Emirates is often dead – but what do you expect when tourists equipped with iPads pack out the ground, there’s a ring of boxes around the stadium making a Kop-like “wall of noise” impossible, and people who spent years next to each other at Highbury have been split asunder?

Of course, the old stadium – so wittily referred to as the Library by opposing fans – wasn’t always as loud as it could be. Show me a Premier League stadium that is. But on a good day, it was great. A crunching Tony Adams tackle. Ian Wright breaking the scoring record. A Thierry Henry goal against Tottenham, again. Glorious memories. It’s an atmosphere the Emirates has rarely come close to, despite 20,000 extra voices. And that isn’t all Highbury had going for it. The fans right on top of the tiny pitch, the marble halls, the tiled bathrooms – every inch of the place screamed history, screamed Arsenal. The new concrete monstrouserty might have undergone a fan-advised corporate “Arsenalisation” but it doesn’t come close.

Yes, qualifying for the Champions League year in, year out is some sort of achievement. But it was an achievement Arsène Wenger was managing with ease before the stadium move; finishing in the top four is pretty par for the course if you look back through the club’s history. There might have been bad runs – but there was always a rare joy in that misery. It’s the life of a football fan. And anyway, we knew things would change soon enough. Arsenal have always won trophies, always challenged for league titles.

Wenger has been an incredible manager, possibly the best in the club’s history, the level of consistency unreplicated anywhere. But to what end? There’s little excitement in qualifying for the Champions League every year when you know, deep down, you have no chance of lifting the trophy. Despite all the promises, Arsenal haven’t looked like serious contenders in 10 years. The persistent failures at the last-16 stage have become dull. Football is about competing. The hope of victory. At Arsenal, that hope is dead. So who benefits? The players through their wages. Stan Kroenke through the influx of cash. Certainly not the supporters. The cost of my season ticket has remained sky high. If the money isn’t going to be used to build a competitive squad I’d rather have it in my back pocket, not swelling the club’s current account, if it’s all right with you, Mr Kroenke.

We were willing to put up with some barren years as stadium debt was repaid on the basis it would lead somewhere good. We were willing to leave our history behind in exchange for silverware. We sold our soul. Any advantage that extra money might have brought has almost been eliminated by the huge rise in TV income, but the purse strings have been loosened, two FA Cups lifted and yet that Faustian pact remains unpaid. We’re less competitive than we were, for sure; however, it’s the feeling that going to the football just isn’t as much fun any more that really chafes. And so I find myself traipsing out of the ground 12 minutes early, being jeered at as a plastic fan by those still in their seats. I’d usually be joining in. Not this time. What’s to be gained by staying? Gallows humour has died a death at the Emirates. Any sense of togetherness ripped apart by years of “Arsène out’ v ‘Arsène knows best”. I can’t stop going – I can’t bring myself to – so what other way is there to register some discontent than leaving an empty seat to watch this latest humiliation?

It won’t achieve the change I want. I know that. But it’s the only thing I can think to do. I want to enjoy going to the ground. I want the songs to echo round the North Bank, to lift my spirits and fire the team on. I want to go back home – but I know we never will. Highbury didn’t die for this.

To aim for the stars and even if we fail our failure will have a faint echo of success, someone once said that or something similar and billy nichs comments should be painted everywhere around the new gaff when they decorate.

This gooner makes some of the clams on here seem cheerful :) Okay they are spoilt good for nothing scum, but when things unwind we will always be able to fall back on our dedication, tradition and devotion. Spurs have never been successful post 60s but that's okay, and touch wood we'll retain some class and tradition in our new digs.

Lets just hope these glory hunting goon clams don't jump ship for the classy club in these parts. Can we be successful, and not like them?

Toby_Moses_L.png

Toby Moses
The future seemed bright after the 2006 Champions League final but since then it has been a sorry saga of lies, a soulless new stadium and an absentee owner

Arsène Wenger cuts a disconsolate figure on the touchline during Arsenal’s capitulation against Bayern Munich. Photograph: South/Si/Rex/Shutterstock
Shares
Comments

Contact author

@tobymoses
email
Wednesday 8 March 2017 22.27 GMTFirst published on Wednesday 8 March 2017 22.00 GMT

Eight-two down on aggregate, 12 minutes more to play, thousands of disgruntled fans streaming from the Emirates Stadium. For the first time, I’m among them.

Highbury didn’t die for this. It’s a phrase that became almost a mantra for Alan Davies’s popular podcast – The Tuesday Club – that ended last season, a group of lifelong fans left with nothing new to say about a club determined to bring fresh meaning to the phrase stuck in a rut. It wasn’t always like this.

22 July 2006. Dennis Bergkamp’s testimonial. The Emirates is packed. Fresh from a narrow loss in the Champions League final to Barcelona, Arsenal, my club, feel as if they on the verge of a breakthrough. In the words of the then managing director, Keith Edelman: “The whole purpose of our move to Emirates Stadium is to develop increased revenues so that they can be invested in the development of the team … It is clearly an important part of what we are trying to achieve and that is to make Arsenal one of the leading clubs in Europe.”

Many thousands of words have been written about what’s gone wrong since, but whether you put that down to the board, the manager, the sudden influx of foreign billionaires – gone wrong it has, leaving me, a season-ticket holder of more than 20 years, sitting in a soulless shell of a stadium, all the joy stripped from the thing that I’ve loved for as long as I can remember.

Arsenal fans have a bad reputation – often deserved – but the idea that we’re a bunch of graceless, ungrateful, passionless cretins is as hard to swallow as any prawn sandwich. Yes, the atmosphere at the Emirates is often dead – but what do you expect when tourists equipped with iPads pack out the ground, there’s a ring of boxes around the stadium making a Kop-like “wall of noise” impossible, and people who spent years next to each other at Highbury have been split asunder?

Of course, the old stadium – so wittily referred to as the Library by opposing fans – wasn’t always as loud as it could be. Show me a Premier League stadium that is. But on a good day, it was great. A crunching Tony Adams tackle. Ian Wright breaking the scoring record. A Thierry Henry goal against Tottenham, again. Glorious memories. It’s an atmosphere the Emirates has rarely come close to, despite 20,000 extra voices. And that isn’t all Highbury had going for it. The fans right on top of the tiny pitch, the marble halls, the tiled bathrooms – every inch of the place screamed history, screamed Arsenal. The new concrete monstrouserty might have undergone a fan-advised corporate “Arsenalisation” but it doesn’t come close.

Yes, qualifying for the Champions League year in, year out is some sort of achievement. But it was an achievement Arsène Wenger was managing with ease before the stadium move; finishing in the top four is pretty par for the course if you look back through the club’s history. There might have been bad runs – but there was always a rare joy in that misery. It’s the life of a football fan. And anyway, we knew things would change soon enough. Arsenal have always won trophies, always challenged for league titles.

Wenger has been an incredible manager, possibly the best in the club’s history, the level of consistency unreplicated anywhere. But to what end? There’s little excitement in qualifying for the Champions League every year when you know, deep down, you have no chance of lifting the trophy. Despite all the promises, Arsenal haven’t looked like serious contenders in 10 years. The persistent failures at the last-16 stage have become dull. Football is about competing. The hope of victory. At Arsenal, that hope is dead. So who benefits? The players through their wages. Stan Kroenke through the influx of cash. Certainly not the supporters. The cost of my season ticket has remained sky high. If the money isn’t going to be used to build a competitive squad I’d rather have it in my back pocket, not swelling the club’s current account, if it’s all right with you, Mr Kroenke.

We were willing to put up with some barren years as stadium debt was repaid on the basis it would lead somewhere good. We were willing to leave our history behind in exchange for silverware. We sold our soul. Any advantage that extra money might have brought has almost been eliminated by the huge rise in TV income, but the purse strings have been loosened, two FA Cups lifted and yet that Faustian pact remains unpaid. We’re less competitive than we were, for sure; however, it’s the feeling that going to the football just isn’t as much fun any more that really chafes. And so I find myself traipsing out of the ground 12 minutes early, being jeered at as a plastic fan by those still in their seats. I’d usually be joining in. Not this time. What’s to be gained by staying? Gallows humour has died a death at the Emirates. Any sense of togetherness ripped apart by years of “Arsène out’ v ‘Arsène knows best”. I can’t stop going – I can’t bring myself to – so what other way is there to register some discontent than leaving an empty seat to watch this latest humiliation?

It won’t achieve the change I want. I know that. But it’s the only thing I can think to do. I want to enjoy going to the ground. I want the songs to echo round the North Bank, to lift my spirits and fire the team on. I want to go back home – but I know we never will. Highbury didn’t die for this.
Misery oozing out of every pore.

I'll take my fill of schadenfreude when we finish above them and not before. I can't quite bring myself to enjoy their much publicised demise, as unfortunately they are not quite dead yet. I half expect some fudging hero medic will bust into the ER and jolt them back to life just in time for them to get ahead of us again. When it is mathematically impossible for them to overtake us I'll give it large to every gooner I know.

Misery oozing out of every pore.

I'll take my fill of schadenfreude when we finish above them and not before. I can't quite bring myself to enjoy their much publicised demise, as unfortunately they are not quite dead yet. I half expect some fudging hero medic will bust into the ER and jolt them back to life just in time for them to get ahead of us again. When it is mathematically impossible for them to overtake us I'll give it large to every gooner I know.

Wenger is that man. He always has them bouncing back. He has them failing, and then reacting. I think the stats on how they bounce and dramatic. Many Spurs fans want him to stay...I'd love him to go. He's past his best, but still a very good coach.

Toby_Moses_L.png

Toby Moses

Shares
Comments

Contact author

@tobymoses
email

This is actually depressing, as it's potentially a glimpse of what we have to come. Everyone's talking about the new stadium will give us the funds to compete, but there are six teams (potentially seven if Everton get their act together) competing for four CL spots (and/or the title), so it's going to be a bit of a lottery who gets those four spots.

I feel sorry for most football fans, they have lost touch with the game and now only want results. Don't get me wrong I want my team to win, but it's not the reason I started going to football in the 50's, I loved the game win, lose or draw, got almost 30 years pleasure playing with the same attitude. Modern fans don't seem to have that feel for the game they take their lead from the media and become obsessed with personalities and results. I find the fans at non league football a much nice bunch of people and still able to see the funny side of the game rather than believing the trite Shankley quote.

This is actually depressing, as it's potentially a glimpse of what we have to come. Everyone's talking about the new stadium will give us the funds to compete, but there are six teams (potentially seven if Everton get their act together) competing for four CL spots (and/or the title), so it's going to be a bit of a lottery who gets those four spots.

While true, there are some key differences with us. The main one being Daniel Levy. As a result, we have > Mauricio Pochettino and > a stadium that will be home more than than their vacuous bowl. It looks like we will have a stadium with identity, and we'll be less reliant on CL. Because they don't have a stadium with any identity, and have fans used to CL, they have further to fall. Spurs out the CL is not a problem. Maybe in a decade things might be different, but I think we will have a bit more class in the new Lane. Viewing should be enjoyable even without success.

Back