• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The General Transfer Rumours and Speculation Thread

I'd love to believe these Batshuiyi rumours but am very sceptical about them given the money we need to spend on the stadium.

The big challenge for us starting this summer is that even tinpot mediocre mid table teams like West Ham, Stoke, West Brom etc are going to be getting so much more tv money that they'll be a lot stronger, so we need to invest in the team to stay ahead

I'd love to believe these Batshuiyi rumours but am very sceptical about them given the money we need to spend on the stadium.

The big challenge for us starting this summer is that even tinpot mediocre mid table teams like West Ham, Stoke, West Brom etc are going to be getting so much more tv money that they'll be a lot stronger, so we need to invest in the team to stay ahead

Yeah - the money from Townsend + Fazio + Yedlin is not even going to give us a pot of £20m for the whole window

I'm not sure about the second part. They'll only be able to make risky signings from abroad (the money filtering down has largely killed off internal transfers). And they'll be having second pickings on the mercenaries after China.

Our structural investment in our academy, scouting and data analysis departments will dividends over cheque book signings for a long time to come

Our structural investment in our academy, scouting and data analysis departments will dividends over cheque book signings for a long time to come

I don't think that the money that is being talked about for Batshuiyi makes him a cheque book signing. It is the going rate for a young, highly rated attacking player and comparable to what we paid for Son last summer. If Poch wants him, I think that we will try to sign him.

I could see us retaining Carroll and letting Winks go out on loan for a season. Carroll has been able to fill in in a number of roles in the midfield and has done plenty to keep a spot, so why rush Winks' development? Onomah is probably going to be the main youngster getting minutes in midfield and there's no clear path for Winks atm.

I get the feeling that Mason won't leave over the summer unless he wants to. He will fight for his spot in the side, which is good, but this year he's fallen right back in the pecking order.

Really wish we had some clarity over the financing of the new stadium. We've spent something like £100m less than our rivals over the past 3-4 seasons, and presumably that's all gone towards the stadium. Add in the fact that our wages are considerably lower and hopefully CL cash next season (whereas I'm guessing our business plan only assumes EL qualification) and that should mean that a decent chunk of the costs will have been paid for from operational cashflow. That should I hope mean that our ability to fund transfers isn't as starved as Arsenal's was after they built the Effiminates.

As I mentioned above, I'm quite concerned that other PL teams, even those considerably smaller than us, use the extra TV cash from this summer for transfers and we still maintain a new zero spend policy (and net zero this summer leaves us with eff-all to spend unless we sell someone of a decent standard). Realistically, if we do qualify for the CL this summer I think we need to add a decent CF (Batshuiyi - £25m), a 4th CB (say £10m) and ideally a genuinely top class player to play in the 3 behind the CF in our system (say £25m).

That's £55m for incomings however based on Townsend (£12m from Jan), Carroll (£4m), Fazio (£7m?) and Yedlin (£2m), I cant see us bringing in more than £25m....

Really wish we had some clarity over the financing of the new stadium. We've spent something like £100m less than our rivals over the past 3-4 seasons, and presumably that's all gone towards the stadium. Add in the fact that our wages are considerably lower and hopefully CL cash next season (whereas I'm guessing our business plan only assumes EL qualification) and that should mean that a decent chunk of the costs will have been paid for from operational cashflow. That should I hope mean that our ability to fund transfers isn't as starved as Arsenal's was after they built the Effiminates.

As I mentioned above, I'm quite concerned that other PL teams, even those considerably smaller than us, use the extra TV cash from this summer for transfers and we still maintain a new zero spend policy (and net zero this summer leaves us with eff-all to spend unless we sell someone of a decent standard). Realistically, if we do qualify for the CL this summer I think we need to add a decent CF (Batshuiyi - £25m), a 4th CB (say £10m) and ideally a genuinely top class player to play in the 3 behind the CF in our system (say £25m).

That's £55m for incomings however based on Townsend (£12m from Jan), Carroll (£4m), Fazio (£7m?) and Yedlin (£2m), I cant see us bringing in more than £25m....

I do not believe that we have been squirrelling away money to pay for the stadium. I think that the business plan is to run the club efficiently so that credit is cheaper and the value is maximised should someone want to buy the club. I do not see ENIC's strategy changing after the new stadium is build, if they still own the club. They are an investment company and long term, it is always going to be about the return on their investment.

I do not believe that we have been squirrelling away money to pay for the stadium. I think that the business plan is to run the club efficiently so that credit is cheaper and the value is maximised should someone want to buy the club. I do not see ENIC's strategy changing after the new stadium is build, if they still own the club. They are an investment company and long term, it is always going to be about the return on their investment.

If what you say is true and the £100m which we've under-spent relative to other clubs then either (i) our net debt position has been flat over that period, or (ii) the other clubs are £100m more in debt. The latter is of course possible however I don't believe that we haven't been using that money for buying up the land next to WHL, paying for the current foundations work for the stadium, paying for all the legal and architectural fees, etc as well as probably having some left over for the next stage

i mean this as a general question, not just to you @AdamB (its something i'se seena bit of, especially from the trust)

if we were privy to that detailed financial information, what could any of us do with that knowledge?

Realistically, if we do qualify for the CL this summer I think we need to add a decent CF (Batshuiyi - £25m), a 4th CB (say £10m) and ideally a genuinely top class player to play in the 3 behind the CF in our system (say £25m).

Levy confirmed again (Poch had already said) at the meeting last week that the 4th CB will be covered from the academy (i.e. 2CV)

I don't think we'll look at a new AM - we already have 8 very good ones, 5 of whom very much expect to be in the starting 11 (Alli, Eriksen, Son, Lamela and Chadli)

I could see us retaining Carroll and letting Winks go out on loan for a season. Carroll has been able to fill in in a number of roles in the midfield and has done plenty to keep a spot, so why rush Winks' development? Onomah is probably going to be the main youngster getting minutes in midfield and there's no clear path for Winks atm.

I get the feeling that Mason won't leave over the summer unless he wants to. He will fight for his spot in the side, which is good, but this year he's fallen right back in the pecking order.

With Carroll 5 into 4 already don't go. He's only featured this season because of lengthy injuries to Mason and Bentaleb. He's also out of contract, so can walk on a free on 1 June.

I don't think Poch likes loaning players 'for their development'. He'd rather do that himself, and only loan for shop windows or fitness

With Carroll 5 into 4 already don't go. He's only featured this season because of lengthy injuries to Mason and Bentaleb. He's also out of contract, so can walk on a free on 1 June.

I don't think Poch likes loaning players 'for their development'. He'd rather do that himself, and only loan for shop windows or fitness

I think that it is impossible to say with any certainty where Carroll sits in relation to Mason and Bentaleb right now. He has certainly been picked over a fit Bentaleb on a couple of occasions.

As for you thinking that Poch doesn't favour loans, this was covered at length during the window and I thought that we had reached the conclusion, apart from when he does.

If what you say is true and the £100m which we've under-spent relative to other clubs then either (i) our net debt position has been flat over that period, or (ii) the other clubs are £100m more in debt. The latter is of course possible however I don't believe that we haven't been using that money for buying up the land next to WHL, paying for the current foundations work for the stadium, paying for all the legal and architectural fees, etc as well as probably having some left over for the next stage

The other thing apart from the stadium is the small matter of our training ground (I think approx £30m). Then there is also presumably payments to AVB and Sherwood with Ade as well. Our net debt has been relatively flat over the same period and I could not say what the net debt position of other clubs is.

I think the main point is that despite that difference in amounts spent, we are performing better than the others shows that the way we are doing things is quite impressive.

As for you thinking that Poch doesn't favour loans, this was covered at length during the window and I thought that we had reached the conclusion, apart from when he does.
You are labouring under the misapprehension that Gutterboy reads, values and takes on board your points.

Levy confirmed again (Poch had already said) at the meeting last week that the 4th CB will be covered from the academy (i.e. 2CV)

I don't think we'll look at a new AM - we already have 8 very good ones, 5 of whom very much expect to be in the starting 11 (Alli, Eriksen, Son, Lamela and Chadli)

Where were the comments about the 4th CB? I must have missed them and they cant have been that widely reported

In terms of attacking midfielders, we have a bunch of good ones however if we want to establish ourselves as CL regulars, personally I think they need strengthening. We struggle to unpick tight defences as we don't have the sort of play who can create something out of nothing in the final third

IIRC Carroll has a two year extension option on his contract. I'm pretty sure someone mentionned it on here and said that we had exercised that option. There is also the point that Carroll has impressed in more role than one, arguably offering cover for a couple of positions on the pitch. He may not be a first choice pick, but he has been a valuable squad option.

Where were the comments about the 4th CB? I must have missed them and they cant have been that widely reported

In terms of attacking midfielders, we have a bunch of good ones however if we want to establish ourselves as CL regulars, personally I think they need strengthening. We struggle to unpick tight defences as we don't have the sort of play who can create something out of nothing in the final third

W_J4jq.gif

Meeting with the THST this week.

It's only a perception that we struggle to unpick tight defences. We've had teams park the bus 9 games out of 10 this season, yet are the third highest goalscorers in the league.

Meeting with the THST this week.

It's only a perception that we struggle to unpick tight defences. We've had teams park the bus 9 games out of 10 this season, yet are the third highest goalscorers in the league.

So you mean that your opinion is right and mine is wrong? I agree with a number if your views but its not wonder you get so much flak on here with comments like that

Back