• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The race for 86 points

Another perspective: We haven't managed consecutive top three finishes since the 61/62 and 62/63 seasons (four seasons in a row then). Before that, we only did it twice in the old first division, both in the 1950s.

I think so far this season we've been comfortably the second best team in the country, and that should be our aim IMO. Chelski have won it already. If we manage to improve on last season's third place and be runners up (best league position in 54 years), I'll be very happy. And, of course, I'd absolutely love an FA Cup win to go with it.

On a few occasions a few teams have accrued 82pts and only finished 3rd, no occurences for 80 or 81, but as mentioned, Arsenal did get 79pts in 13/14 and finish 4th ahead of us on 72.
So I would say 80pts is the target on that score
So 21 points from 10 games.
WWWWWWWLLL
WWWWWWDDDL
6 wins minimum.

Those who cannot overtake us - as at 20 March (alphabetically) :-

Crystal Palace
Hull
Middlesbrough
Sunderland
Swansea

Re points target for 3rd place - historically, in PL times, 80 points in a season is the maximum needed to guarantee a top 3 finish. In reality the requirement this season will not be that high. In order for the chasing teams to get to 79 points they would need: Liverpool 23 points from an available 27, Man Utd 27 points from 33, Arsenal 29 from 33. None of them will achieve that. Whoever finishes 4th this season, I don't think they'll have more than 76 points.

Re points target for 3rd place - historically, in PL times, 80 points in a season is the maximum needed to guarantee a top 3 finish. In reality the requirement this season will not be that high. In order for the chasing teams to get to 79 points they would need: Liverpool 23 points from an available 27, Man Utd 27 points from 33, Arsenal 29 from 33. None of them will achieve that. Whoever finishes 4th this season, I don't think they'll have more than 76 points.
So 18 points from 10 games.
WWWWWWLLLL
WWWWWDDDLL
5 wins minimum.

In our last ten games at home, Spurs have won all ten, scored 29 goals, conceded only six and created 154 chances.
That's quite some momentum and fortress building.

I'm not taking anything for granted when it comes to those clams but if we don't finish above them this season then we need to have a word with ourselves.
Indeed... I was at the Southampton game on week 37 of last season and was expecting to spend that sunny Sunday afternoon celebrating Tottenham's highest league finish in my lifetime... but, after lasagne-gate + mind-the-gap + record-points-haul + foxes-fairytale, I shall not be counting any badgers until we are mathematically certain to break the Wenger hoodoo!

Indeed... I was at the Southampton game on week 37 of last season and was expecting to spend that sunny Sunday afternoon celebrating Tottenham's highest league finish in my lifetime... but, after lasagne-gate + mind-the-gap + record-points-haul + foxes-fairytale, I shall not be counting any badgers until we are mathematically certain to break the Wenger hoodoo!
Not to mention Cheatski fluking the CL.

And now I feel sick.

Same here. Everything was set up nicely, sun was shining, and even got the early goal. Then Steve Davis decides to have the game of his life (Has he actually scored a goal since then, let alone 2)

I just file that under the horror that was the finale to "Mind-the-Gap" :eek: If Redknapp had not somehow allowed us to finish below the Goons then we could've enjoyed the CL final whatever the result!
Same here. Everything was set up nicely, sun was shining, and even got the early goal. Then Steve Davis decides to have the game of his life (Has he actually scored a goal since then, let alone 2)
I was at the ManU game the previous month and the celebrations after breaking that hoodoo were great, so I was looking forward to toasting the final ever game at an intact WHL in style... like you say...

I remember having a few consolation drinks after the match but (despite the glorious weather that afternoon) the High Road was back to normal probably within an hour of the final whistle... despite the best efforts of the DJ at the Bill Nich...

According to his wiki, Davis has only scored 7 other league goals for Southampton in 148 appearances over 5 seasons; with none since that game!

I just file that under the horror that was the finale to "Mind-the-Gap" :eek: If Redknapp had not somehow allowed us to finish below the Goons then we could've enjoyed the CL final whatever the result!

I was at the ManU game the previous month and the celebrations after breaking that hoodoo were great, so I was looking forward to toasting the final ever game at an intact WHL in style... like you say...

I remember having a few consolation drinks after the match but (despite the glorious weather that afternoon) the High Road was back to normal probably within an hour of the final whistle... despite the best efforts of the DJ at the Bill Nich...

According to his wiki, Davis has only scored 7 other league goals for Southampton in 148 appearances over 5 seasons; with none since that game!
I know but it was an outrage of such gargantuan perversity I felt it warranted cursory nod in passing. With the emphasis being on CURSory.:(

Back