• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Dugout - best place for the manager?

ringo

Tim Sherwood
Does anyone think that sitting in the dugout pitchside might not be the best place to see what is going on in the game. [Even if they get a televised feed somewhere in the dugout]

I like to sit in different parts of the ground to get a different perspective on the game. And the sense of the game you get from the front row of upper north is a lot different from row 3 of lower west.

Rugby coaches sit higher up - at least for the internationals.

If I was a manager maybe I'd rather watch the game from higher up and have my assistant coach pitchside doing the motivating. Or move between the two. Teams still manage to win when their managers are banished to the stands, after all.

Maybe Poch would have seen the problem with the defensive highline watching BT's vertigo inducing coverage.

Does anyone think that sitting in the dugout pitchside might not be the best place to see what is going on in the game. [Even if they get a televised feed somewhere in the dugout]

I like to sit in different parts of the ground to get a different perspective on the game. And the sense of the game you get from the front row of upper north is a lot different from row 3 of lower west.

Rugby coaches sit higher up - at least for the internationals.

If I was a manager maybe I'd rather watch the game from higher up and have my assistant coach pitchside doing the motivating. Or move between the two. Teams still manage to win when their managers are banished to the stands, after all.

Maybe Poch would have seen the problem with the defensive highline watching BT's vertigo inducing coverage.

Hoddle used to spend the first half in the stands to get a better view of the pitch

I think the best place for a manager is up in the stands to be able to get a better picture of the way the game is going and the spaces that are being created of not filled. However most managers/coaches i have spoken too say they feel out of control sat up there and can not react to the game as well, plus the emotion they are caught up in does not go down well among the seated around them.

Hoddle used to spend the first half in the stands to get a better view of the pitch
Interesting. I had forgotten that (if I ever knew it) Was that something that he did consistently throughout his management career? I can't think of any managers who voluntarily sit anywhere other than pitch side.

With all the technology they have - you'd think they would get a few screens with different perspectives to look at -at pitch side.

Interesting. I had forgotten that (if I ever knew it) Was that something that he did consistently throughout his management career? I can't think of any managers who voluntarily sit anywhere other than pitch side.

With all the technology they have - you'd think they would get a few screens with different perspectives to look at -at pitch side.

i wonder if they've considered it for the new stadium? For the home dugout only, of course ;)

Rugby has always been a bit different. Like cricket, the captain traditionally runs the game on the pitch. This has changed a bit since substitutes have been introduced.

George Graham used to do it as well. He had a phone installed at Highbury.
Allardyce has done it in the past too I think.

...and Sherwood that one time at band camp (Anfield) :D:D

I'm pretty sure that he did it throughout his managerial career. He was certainly still doing it when he was with us.

I was talking to a manager the other day and he said there is no doubt that watching a game from in stands is better than watching a load of feet running around from the dugout, but as mentioned earlier its a feel thing, alot of managers feel lost in stands and also players look to bench for comfort sometimes.

For what it's worth Poch has two guys doing live video analysis during the first half so he can show the players video clips of what is going wrong in the half time team talk.

For what it's worth Poch has two guys doing live video analysis during the first half so he can show the players video clips of what is going wrong in the half time team talk.

This is interesting. I wonder what perspective the video is from, and more to the point, how much Poch sees if any in real time. Rather than it being driven by Poch's manager's area pitch side perspective. I guess these are the kinds of things we are not likely to find out much about as "outsiders".

Perhaps the best compromise is to stand on top of the dugout roof like Wenger did when he was sent to the stands.

I guess this is why Fergie had the Old Trafford dugouts elevated so he sat about 10 rows back? It would be cool if Poch had a little chair/position that he could go up about 20 rows so he could take a gander at NWHL

Perhaps the best compromise is to stand on top of the dugout roof like Wenger did when he was sent to the stands.

I guess this is why Fergie had the Old Trafford dugouts elevated so he sat about 10 rows back? It would be cool if Poch had a little chair/position that he could go up about 20 rows so he could take a gander at NWHL
Or take a leaf out of the top Pop Stars of the day and have a hydraulic lift and a platform (plus a shoulder harness for proper safety) to raise up and down during the game. If we want to save money perhaps they can borrow a fork lift from the building site next door to The Lane.

Or take a leaf out of the top Pop Stars of the day and have a hydraulic lift and a platform (plus a shoulder harness for proper safety) to raise up and down during the game. If we want to save money perhaps they can borrow a fork lift from the building site next door to The Lane.
Good point - we can suspend Poch from the SkyWalk and ping him up and down during the game

I like Poch up on his feet in the technical area. He's a good people person and having him anywhere else would be diminishing his potential effect. Used to annoy me when Harry sat slumped in the dugout whilst the team was struggling. I wanted him to get up and 'ave a word with the players.

I like Poch up on his feet in the technical area. He's a good people person and having him anywhere else would be diminishing his potential effect. Used to annoy me when Harry sat slumped in the dugout whilst the team was struggling. I wanted him to get up and 'ave a word with the players.
Good point. I always feel the coach should be standing up, paying attention. He may be shouting, he may be calming, he may just be getting a better view. But sitting in the dugout is below ground level, you just see socks and boots flying past - awful view

I've managed a couple of teams in my local county district league, and being of a Conte disposition used to "encourage" my players from the touchline midway between the goal and the halfway line in our half.
If (I wish) I was managing Spurs I would sit 10-15 rows back in the stands and then make regular trips to technical area and pitch side as required. And/or have several feeds at different angles in the managers/players seated area, watch that and visit technical area accordingly.

I can't remember when Spurs managers first sat in the dug out. Bill Nick sat in the stand, the first manager I can remember was Clough doing it as he use to get around of applause as he walked along to his place. I'll never see that sort of thing again.

Back