• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

SA win by 492, fourth largest margin ever.

The last time they won a home series against Australia was 1970.

On the Aussie tampering, its a funny old one, if they had not created such a visual spectacle about it and then admitted it they would have had more sympathy I am sure. The offence itself is not as bad as whats being made out, its the whole act and scenario played out that is. I also agree these punishments are linked to a whole set of offences from the past 18 months, people are bored of them and they have being doing this all for months.

The next big Aussie scandal is taking it's time, must be something in the archives surely?

I’d be wary. It’s like cycling; the dam has broken. You can bet that every Aussie cricket journalist is, as I write, making their way through archive TV footage of every Test match over the past decade involving anyone other than Australia, looking for evidence of dodgy doings.

It’ll all come out in the wash.

Just for contrast:

Gilchrist’s decision to walk in the 2003 World Cup semi-final divided his own dressing room

In the World Cup semi-final between Australia and Sri Lanka at St George’s Park in 2003, the Aussies were on 34 after five overs when Aravinda de Silva was brought on to bowl. On his second delivery, Adam Gilchrist stepped forward to sweep, edged the ball on to his front pad, and watched it sail into the hands of Kumar Sangakkara, the wicketkeeper. The Sri Lankans made a sustained appeal. Rudi Koertzen, the umpire, shook his head. “Not out,” he said.

In True Colours, his wonderful autobiography, Gilchrist would later recall that he felt “strange” at that moment, perhaps a little confused. “So much discontent about umpiring, video decisions, and trust between players had been bubbling away,” he said. He then heard an emphatic voice in his head. “Go,” the voice said. “Walk”. As he made his way towards the pavilion, something odd happened. The Port Elizabeth crowd started cheering. They knew that he had made a gesture more important than mere winning and losing.

Later that day, Gilchrist sat in the viewing room. He had been shunned by some team-mates and wondered if his status in the dressing room would recover, but the voice in his mind was insistent: “You did the right thing.” Later, when Australia took the field, he caught Koertzen’s eye. He wondered if the umpire might have been embarrassed by his decision to walk, but he received a reassuring nod. “Congratulations,” Koertzen said. “It took a lot to do what you did, but we’d all be better off if there was more of it.”

100 ball cricket! I understand that the poor old duffers at the top want to get more people interested in (what was) the game, but what next? Under arm lobs so there are more sixes and fireworks with music? It's just not cricket, the games I played as a kid with the wicket chalked on a wall and six and out if you hit the ball over the factory wall was better than this.

100 ball cricket! I understand that the poor old duffers at the top want to get more people interested in (what was) the game, but what next? Under arm lobs so there are more sixes and fireworks with music? It's just not cricket, the games I played as a kid with the wicket chalked on a wall and six and out if you hit the ball over the factory wall was better than this.

What really annoys me about this is that the BBC will pay to air it.
So basically after selling their soul to the devil for Sky's money and it decimated the game the taxpayers have to pick up the tab for reintroducing it to masses.
The ECB and the R&A in golf should be told to fudge off.

It's now little more than a manufactured 'entertainment event'.

Cricket is losing all I love about it. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the T20 side of it but I think the balance we have now is perfect if I am honest. The Domestic League don't need anymore competitions.

Cricket is losing all I love about it. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the T20 side of it but I think the balance we have now is perfect if I am honest. The Domestic League don't need anymore competitions.
You mean a big countdown, hopefully with The Final Countdown playing on loop throughout both innings, doesn't rev your engine? Weirdo.

You’re welcome! I ushered up the spirit of gutter boy for that one!!

Seriously though, it’s been over a year the bowlers have been bailing out the batsmen, about time the top order stepped up.

Agree, batting order needs to step up in a big way. If they did the team would be unbeatable in the county scene

What brick happened in the first test against Pakistan?
This is a young, inexperienced side with just a few of them having ever played in England.
And England were hammered at HOME by this side.
What a pity. I wanted to watch a competitive game - but alas, it wasn't to be.
Hope the next test provides a closer finish.

We were limp from the start to the end.
Not sure what the answer is.
Feels like another nail in the coffin as we walk towards the death of test cricket.

Back