• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

Yep, not saying he was justified in his actions but the full video does show he is justified in defending him or anyone threatened with a weapon .

Excessive reaction? Yes
Should he be in the squad ? No

The real issue is how to control these sportsmen to channel aggression. They are brainwashed into being aggressive and dominant on a sports field but are expected to just turn off the tap at the end of a game .

More counselling, more education and more self control

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

interesting story,

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/sep/05/the-spin-carew-vilage-spirit-cricket

personally I admire the thinking behind it and the nerve to pull it off

They got relegated for their troubles.

Carew Cricket Club relegated after 'unfair' win over title rivals

Strangely they get to keep the title. They remain champions because they didn't break any rules, so I'm not sure what grounds there were for a relegation.

P.S. I believe Middlesex could have avoided relegation with a similar declaration against Somerset.

Yep, not saying he was justified in his actions but the full video does show he is justified in defending him or anyone threatened with a weapon .

Excessive reaction? Yes
Should he be in the squad ? No

The real issue is how to control these sportsmen to channel aggression. They are brainwashed into being aggressive and dominant on a sports field but are expected to just turn off the tap at the end of a game .

More counselling, more education and more self control

Don't think you can do anything to combat these things happening.

Counselling , Media training etc can all help but just it's down to personal nature and self control.

Shame really,he's a maverick in cricket terms great to watch and different.

I'd be surprised if we won this winters ashes but without him I can't see it at all.

Agree , I had us to win here by one test . That has gone out of the window now , could lose by two or three .

Not saying one man makes a team but he was one of four or five integral parts of the collective that gave us the edge.

No one ready and available to adequately fill that gap I'm afraid , leaving us open to the odd collapse and limp bowling .

Hope I'm wrong but not confident

Big loss not having a genuine all rounder like Stokes for the Ashes. They've got nothing like him which means we would have had a real advantage.

Stokes recent actions and more actions mean the lad has issues for me. You see him and he has an edge and he is close to it going the wrong way.

He has to learn and going to Aus won't be good for him, they will have him toast

Stokes recent actions and more actions mean the lad has issues for me. You see him and he has an edge and he is close to it going the wrong way.

He has to learn and going to Aus won't be good for him, they will have him toast

Spot on!
The guy is a first grade plank!
He must learn and missing the Ashes tour should start the process.
I don’t want him representing the country with his attitude over the Katy Price’s son.

Plans for a Test championship and one-day international league have been approved by the International Cricket Council.

Nine teams will play six series of Test matches over a two-year period - three at home and three away - culminating in a world Test championship final.

A 13-team ODI league, introduced from 2021, will now be used to qualify for the World Cup.

The ICC has also given the go-ahead for a trial of four-day Test matches.

"Throughout the discussions about the future of Test cricket it became clear that we must also consider alternatives and trial initiatives that may support the future viability of Test cricket," ICC chief executive David Richardson said.

How would the Test championship work?
The Test competition, which will begin after the World Cup in 2019, is designed to increase interest in the longer form of the game and avoid one-sided affairs.

There will be a minimum of two matches in each series - all of which will be scheduled to last five days - but can be expanded to five for series such as the Ashes.

The top two teams will compete in a play-off in April 2021, with a final to be held in England two months later.

Zimbabwe, Afghanistan and Ireland would initially be excluded from the Test championship but the introduction of four-day series would give them more Test experience.

A Test league has been mooted for years, with Richardson saying in 2016 that a league would help "create a real champion Test team".

Day-night Tests have been introduced in an attempt to boost attendances.

And what about four-day Tests?
The trial for four-day Test matches will run up until the World Cup, which will be hosted by England.

South Africa recently requested to play a four-day Test against Zimbabwe in December, before their three Test series against India in January.

"Four-day Tests will also provide the new Test-playing countries with more opportunities to play the longer version of the game," Richardson continued.

"It will, in turn, will help them to hone their skills and close the gap with the top-nine ranked teams."

How would the ODI league affect teams?
The top seven one-day sides currently automatically qualify for the World Cup, with a qualifying tournament held for the lower-ranked sides.

The new league would see the top-13 teams play eight series lasting three matches over three years.

"Bringing context to bilateral cricket is not a new challenge, but this is the first time a genuine solution has been agreed on," ICC chairman Shashank Manohar added.

I fcuking hate this short arse inbred. I hope Jimmy Anderson owns him this Ashes series..

Australia’s David Warner promises ‘hatred’ and ‘war’ with England in Ashes

• Australia opener says he tries to dislike his opposition to get on top
• Captain Steve Smith says he ‘cannot condone’ Ben Stokes’s behaviour

David Warner says that ‘it is war’ as soon as he goes onto the pitch in the Ashes.
Mark Dobson

@kellysheroesmd
Sunday 15 October 2017 16.36 BSTLast modified on Sunday 15 October 2017 22.00 BST

Australia’s chief agitator David Warner has fired the opening shots in the Ashes war of words, revealing the hosts will be motivated by their “hatred” of England.

Warner, who infamously punched Joe Root during the 2013 Ashes series in England before informing the media that the tourists had “scared eyes” a few months later at the Gabba, has once again turned up the volume.

England fly out to Australia on 28 October for the five-match Test series which begins in Brisbane on 23 November and, after a buildup which has been overshadowed by a police investigation into Ben Stokes’ early-hours altercation in Bristol, Warner has somewhat characteristically opted for a front-foot approach.

“As soon as you step on that line it’s war,” Warner said on ABC Grandstand. “You try and get into a battle as quick as you can. I try and look in the opposition’s eyes and try and work out ‘how can I dislike this player, how can I get on top of him?’

“You have to delve and dig deep into yourself to actually get some hatred about them to actually get up when you’re out there. History is a big part in this and that is what carries us on to the ground.”

Warner’s comments during the first Test at the Gabba in 2013 were criticised as “horribly wrong” by England’s then team director, Andy Flower, when the Australian singled out Jonathan Trott’s dismissals as “poor and weak”. A few days later, the Warwickshire batsman returned home because of a stress-related illness.

Warner, however, insists he has no regrets regarding those inflammatory comments where he also said England had “scared eyes” during that Brisbane Test which Australia won by 381 runs.

“Four years ago, during that first Test, I made some statements in the media and at the time I thought it was a great thing to come out and speak what I said,” he added.

“I have no regrets about that and I think that could have played a little bit of a role in the back of their minds. At the moment I’m not going to put any vibes out there or get into a verbal stoush … but come day one when we walk out there, there will definitely be some words exchanged. I think the subtle approach these days is how it is and how it goes.”

Australia’s captain, Steve Smith, meanwhile, was drawn into the frenzied media debate surrounding Stokes.

The 26-year-old is suspended by the England and Wales Cricket Board while the police investigation continues. The ECB has not ruled out Stokes flying to Australia after the rest of the squad if the investigation is concluded in time.

Since his debut during the 2013-14 Ashes tour in Australia, Stokes has risen to become one of the most highly rated all-round cricketers in the world, scoring six Test centuries and claiming 95 wickets from 39 caps, as well as being the England team’s most dynamic fielder. With the investigation continuing, Smith was even asked whether Stokes should be banned from playing in the series.

“Whether he comes or not, that’s out of our control,” Smith told ABC Grandstand in his first public comments on Stokes’ situation.

“You always want to come up against the best and test your skills against the best. That’s what Test cricket is all about. There’s no doubt Ben Stokes is one of the best players around the world at the moment with the skills he brings to the game.”

Smith did not reference Warner’s 2013 punch at Root – during a late night incident in a Birmingham bar – but said he hoped no Australian players ever found themselves in a similar situation as England’s all-rounder.

“I certainly don’t condone that kind of behaviour,” he added. “Hopefully it never happens to one of our boys. Let’s hope we never cross paths with that.”

Remember it’s all about getting people to watch, selling TV, tickets, papers and clicks!
I no a fan of the guy, I think he’s from the same gene pool as Jack Wiltshere.
But all the promotional stuff is banal.

Australia Squad: Steve Smith (c), David Warner (vc), Cameron Bancroft, Usman Khawaja, Peter Handscomb, Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine (wk), Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood, Jackson Bird, Chadd Sayers.

As news started to leak through of the squad that Australia would name for the first Ashes Test, the home side's problems began to be laid bare.

From the other side of the world, and with all the problems England have had to deal with, Australia seemed unbeatable, especially with Mitchell Starc limbering up to devour touring batsmen by taking two hat-tricks in the same match.

But the local wisdom was that Steve Smith's side had just as many problems as the tourists. When the squad was confirmed on Friday, it was fair to assume that they have even more.

If the low profile of some of England's touring party led to them being dubbed the 'Unnameables', Australia's selectors have gone and chosen the 'Unfathomables'.

Chief among them is Tim Paine, a wicketkeeper who played his most recent Test seven years ago and has not even been taking the gloves for his state side, Tasmania.

Since Brad Haddin retired at the end of the 2015 Ashes, Australia have tried Peter Nevill and Matthew Wade behind the stumps. Nevill has averaged 21.66 in 13 Tests, Wade 20.23 in 10.

If they were not fancied to play in Brisbane - neither has made a first-class half-century this season - then options started to become slim.

Australia's first-class system consists of six teams, so only half a dozen wicketkeepers at any one time.

Of the other four to have played in the Sheffield Shield this week, opening batsman Cameron Bancroft will earn a Test debut at the Gabba and will not be burdened with the gloves, youngsters Seb Gotch and Jimmy Peirson have only 13 first-class matches between them and Test outsider Alex Carey has not reached 50 this season.

So Australia turned to Paine, whose exile from the Tasmania side inadvertently led to a Test call-up.

Sent to play for a Cricket Australia XI against England in Adelaide last week, he made 52. Due to feature in a similar fixture in Townsville, Paine was summoned back to play for Tasmania and made an unbeaten 71 against Victoria. He had done enough for a Test recall.

'macarons masquerading as mentors'
On one hand, this is a lovely tale of sporting redemption for Paine, who earlier this year admitted to having thoughts of retirement.

When he made his Test debut in 2010, deputising for the injured Haddin, he did enough with bat and gloves to suggest that he would be Haddin's long-term successor.

"macarons masquerading as mentors". Australian Test Match Special commentator Jim Maxwell described them as "unhinged" and said the Sheffield Shield is "no longer respected, as far as wicketkeepers are concerned".

'Stinks to high heaven'
upload_2017-11-17_19-13-53.gif
Shaun Marsh averages 36 in 23 Tests dating back to 2011
If the choice of Paine is a headline-grabbing bolt from the blue, then the uninspiring recall of batsman Shaun Marsh has been greeted with a collective shrug of the shoulders.

Marsh made his Test debut in 2011, but has been in and out of the Australia side so often that he has managed to win 23 caps in six years.

In choosing Marsh to fill the spot at number six, in front of a number of all-round options, the selectors have not only revealed their concerns over their top five, but also provided no cover to a bowling attack that includes Starc and Pat Cummins, both of whom have a history of injuries.

There is an added layer of context, too. At 34, Marsh is only a year younger than Ed Cowan, the leading run-scorer in the Sheffield Shield last season who has been deemed too old to play for New South Wales this term.

The headline of former Australia fast bowler Brett Geeves' column for Fox Sports said the selection of Marsh, the son of former Australia batsman, coach and selector Geoff, "stinks to high heaven".

"Sorry Australian cricket, but it seems you own the maturity levels of a prepubescent teenager," wrote Geeves.

Matt Renshaw averages 36.64 in 10 Tests since making his debut last year
In all, Australia have axed six players from their most recent Test, a win in Bangladesh in September.

Among those dropped is Middlesbrough-born opener Matt Renshaw, ending the delicious prospect of the 21-year-old coming up against childhood friend Joe Root.

Renshaw left England at the age of seven, yet still picked up the recent English trait of starting a Test career well, only to stutter thereafter.

He made a century in his fourth match, but has not passed 50 in any of his previous eight innings.

Even then, questions over Renshaw's place only arose through a poor start to the Shield season - 19 is his highest score in six innings - and some unhelpful comments from influential figures in the Australian game.

Before the squad was chosen, selector Mark Waugh said he would like to see more from the left-hander, while former Australia opener Justin Langer told Stumped on BBC World Service that Renshaw was "under pressure". Langer is the coach of Renshaw's replacement, Bancroft, at Western Australia.

That is not to say that Bancroft's inclusion is not merited - he is the leading run-scorer in the Shield this season. He has, however, only managed one century in 16 matches across two seasons for Gloucestershire.

"The treatment of Matt Renshaw has been deplorable," said Dean Bilton, writing for ABC.

"The pressure came from nowhere, completely manufactured by a just few influential people. But it manifested in Renshaw's head and beyond, and for the first time in his professional career, he looked like an overwhelmed batsman."

What does this mean for England?
While all of this has been going on, England have been playing their final Ashes warm-up match, against a Cricket Australia XI.

Their preparations, already disrupted by the absence of Ben Stokes, have not been ideal.

The pitch in Townsville is much slower than the one they will encounter in Brisbane and the bowling they have faced is similar to a weak Division One attack, according to opener Mark Stoneman.

But Stoneman and Dawid Malan have compiled centuries, Alastair Cook has ground out some much-needed runs and Chris Woakes looks capable of providing the extra yard of pace lacked by his team-mates.

Mark Stoneman and Alastair Cook have spent significant time at the crease in England's three warm-up games
In the nets, Jake Ball has returned to fitness and the batsmen have faced bouncer after bouncer in order to be ready for the heat the Australians will bring.

Is it enough to earn only a second series win here in 31 years, or to improve on a record that has seen England lose 24 of their past 35 Tests down under?

Taken in isolation, maybe not, but when added to Australia's problems, England's prospects seem brighter.

Australia legend Shane Warne, who won the Ashes seven times, said: "England are in a better situation going into the first Test than Australia. England no longer fear Australia and that is why they can beat Australia."

The tourists would probably gobble up the offer of a draw at the Gabba, a ground where Australia have not lost since 1988 and where England have not won since 1986.

All of sudden, it seems a more realistic possibility.

Ponting with the usual garbage about them being so so much better than us and it will be 4-0, yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

Ponting with the usual garbage about them being so so much better than us and it will be 4-0, yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

Wouldn't expect anything else from the inbred Tasmanian. Under his captaincy the balance swung from years of domination to England being the number one team.

Back