• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

Re: Central defenders

According to Norwegian scout Tor Kristian Karlsen, he's immense in the air and has enough of a footballing brain to hide his lack of pace.

Sounds good to me.

Vert + Fazio = Kos + Mert.

Neither particularly quick but you have a ball player and a clever one who dominates the air. With Lloris in behind and pace of Walker/Rose, they could blossom VERY well.

Pace is overrated in CB

Hummels and Subotic is the best CB partnership in world football and neither are quick.

Daily Mirror understand Basel's Fabian Schar is seen as an alternative option to Villareal's Mateo Musacchio.

-

Yes please.

Schar, Vertonghen, Fazio, Dier.

Daily Mirror understand Basel's Fabian Schar is seen as an alternative option to Villareal's Mateo Musacchio.

-

Yes please.

Schar, Vertonghen, Fazio, Dier.

that looks fine to me........however 3 of the 4 have no PL experience. Risky

moi?? I think you are very wrong but you are entitled to think whatever you want.

however saying.... " It doesn't bode well if that is the level we are after. Smacks of limited ambition or desperation to sign anyone. At best, we would be standing still while others forge ahead." ....suggests that you dont have as much faith in Poch and Baldini as you make out you have. This is just one signing after all

also, it seems from your posts you are basing your opinion of Fazio on what others have said, not with your own experience of watching the player. How can you get so heated about a player you know very little about?

Because I had subsequently heard and read a lot about Fazio from others - and especially from a friend in Spain whose opinion I trust. There seemed to be consensus firstly that Fazio was a step down from Musacchio and secondly that Fazio is fairly immobile. And we have seen how immobile defenders can struggle in the Premier League, especially when playing a high press system.

Thankfully, I've since read and heard a few other opinions which paint Fazio in a far better light (but which still maintain that Musacchio would have been the better signing).

Because I had subsequently heard and read a lot about Fazio from others - and especially from a friend in Spain whose opinion I trust. There seemed to be consensus firstly that Fazio was a step down from Musacchio and secondly that Fazio is fairly immobile. And we have seen how immobile defenders can struggle in the Premier League, especially when playing a high press system.

Thankfully, I've since read and heard a few other opinions which paint Fazio in a far better light (but which still maintain that Musacchio would have been the better signing).

Spurspanyol seems to think that over the course of the season, Villarreal will acquire more of Musacchio's rights and then sell him off to a bigger club next summer, in which case, we will unfortunately miss the boat as we did with Moutinho for example. Of course, this is just one fan's opinion.

Not 100% sure how much we could have done but a bit sad nontheless.

i read that West spam might sell Winston Reid for around 8 mill now rather than lose him for free next summer. He always appears to be highly thought of. Good enough for us?

i read that West spam might sell Winston Reid for around 8 mill now rather than lose him for free next summer. He always appears to be highly thought of. Good enough for us?

Im sure some will turn their noses up at him, but he is a very good defender...

He's gone from very **** to very good in a short period of time. I'd definitely take him. A Kiwi would help us in Australia too (we'd just claim him.)

He's gone from very **** to very good in a short period of time. I'd definitely take him. A Kiwi would help us in Australia too (we'd just claim him.)
maybe Ryan Nelson can put in a good word....on both sides;)

He looked great at the WC. Far outshone Lovren next to him

Indeed, he was superb. Lovren was a mess but Charlie stayed calm and assured. Intelligent defender and comfortable on the ball, think he'd be a good partner for Vertonghen. I know it would obviously never happen and most Spurs fans would cry into their cornflakes but it's fun to muse.

I was always a huge fan of Charlie. Maybe with him back Lennon would remember how to play football as well

[video=youtube;AWgVT-CF3oQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWgVT-CF3oQ[/video]

Corluka was a great full-back but did have issues with pace. In a high-line/pressing formation he'd likely get exposed a RB, yet some of you want to play him a CB, where we already may have problems with pace??

Fazio would be great against teams like the Spammers as he dominates in the air, but one thing that comes to mind in the games I've seen him is he doesn't look that mobile and struggles against pacey strikers.

So he is Michael Dawson?

If Fazio turns out to be as good as Dawson for us, I'll be delighted.

Re Corluka, one of his problems at CB was his lack of heading ability, IIRC. I certainly wouldn't want him to be playing CB for us. He was a decent enough RB, though far from great.

Panic over on the CB front:

Khumalo's agent: "He's 2 to 3 weeks away from starting full-time training. He is a Tottenham Hotspur player"

Back