• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The case for the defence

He reminds me of the other French lad who played well sometimes for them but never had an identity .... Flamini. Solid player and busy not not good enough to step up.
Worth considering that he is only 20 years old - 3 years younger than Winks who is still seen as a 'youngster' by many of our fans.

Still suffering from the same issues as last year - weak full backs (as much as I think KWP has done ok) and zero midfield protection.

Other teams midfielders have so much time and space to pick a pass as the press isn’t there.

Plus the midfield/defence give the ball away in some awful situations, most the pressure has been self inflicted.

Lots of people lapping up Guendouzi’s pass but in truth it’s a training exercise to be given that much time to advance, move ball to preferred foot, look up, and clip ball in under no pressure.

As much as I’ve enjoyed Winks and Sissoko and look forward to Ndombele developing, I think we really need a bit of Dier in there to provide that defensive midfield stability.

Lots of people lapping up Guendouzi’s pass but in truth it’s a training exercise to be given that much time to advance, move ball to preferred foot, look up, and clip ball in under no pressure.

As much as I’ve enjoyed Winks and Sissoko and look forward to Ndombele developing, I think we really need a bit of Dier in there to provide that defensive midfield stability.

It’s twice that a player in a similar area has provided a telling assist with minimal closing down. Need to work on that defensive area. We are missing a true defensive midfielder who will read the danger in these situations and take action.

:oops:

https://statsbomb.com/2019/09/how-concerning-is-tottenhams-early-form/
It was noted after the weekend’s defeat that Spurs conceded 56 shots to Arsenal and Emirates Marketing Project combined (30 at the Etihad and 26 at the Emirates)... Is this not just an overreaction to two very difficult fixtures?

Not quite. Across the 2017/18 and 2018/19 seasons, Spurs did not have a single game in which they shipped 25 shots or more... That was their two year record and they’ve broken it twice before the first international break of the season.

It's a shambles, compounded by having Winks in front of them. Aurier and Rose too erratic, Alderweireld and Vertonghen past it. Need at least three new starting players next season, four if Dier can't get back to where he was.

In games where we are up against pace, Sanchez has to play. The two Belgian boys are now too slow.

In games where we will have the ball the whole game against 10 men behind the ball they both should start as they're better on the ball.

In games where we are up against pace, Sanchez has to play. The two Belgian boys are now too slow.

In games where we will have the ball the whole game against 10 men behind the ball they both should start as they're better on the ball.
This might be controversial, but I thought Alderweireld and Vertonghen were very good last night. First half they dealt with so much stuff thrown their way while being excellent on the ball.

The simple fact is that when good, quick wingers get isolated against centre backs with loads of space to attack and no cover every centre back in the world will have a difficult time. Things have already gone badly wrong elsewhere when that happens.

We saw when Sanchez played right back how he copes up against quick tricky wingers running at him. The answer was he didn't cope at all.

This wasn't on our centre backs.

This might be controversial, but I thought Alderweireld and Vertonghen were very good last night. First half they dealt with so much stuff thrown their way while being excellent on the ball.

The simple fact is that when good, quick wingers get isolated against centre backs with loads of space to attack and no cover every centre back in the world will have a difficult time. Things have already gone badly wrong elsewhere when that happens.

We saw when Sanchez played right back how he copes up against quick tricky wingers running at him. The answer was he didn't cope at all.

Agree. I remember at one point in the first half wondering if one of them would be a MOTM contender and deciding out of the two Verts was edging it for me due to a couple of attacking runs on top of his defensive work.
I shudder to think of the outcome without some of their interventions....

Look to me like Bayern targeted our CBS first half by going over the top of them

Back