• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - left back

Who is the best left back to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
A quick recap of what we're doing

Right. The best Spurs team of all time.

We'll have a different thread for each position over the coming weeks. The thread will be open for a while for nominations and the most frequently mentioned players will be going into a poll on the same thread.

The team will line up 4-2-3-1. Modern style.

Anyone who comes into the thread, doesn't read what we're doing and posts their full best team of all time, gets laughed at.

The team so far:

020116093111.png

Fifth position up for grabs - left back.

Have a chat and come up with but nominations, make a case for who you think is best. A poll will be added when it looks like we have a few players to pick between.

Last edited:
From my memory I've seen Edinburgh,Edman,Atouba,Ziege,Y-P Lee,Wilson,Rose,Davies.

Spoilt for choice there....

From my memory I've seen Edinburgh,Edman,Atouba,Ziege,Y-P Lee,Wilson,Rose,Davies.

Spoilt for choice there....

You forgot Konchesky. ;)

Wilson will always be one of my personal favorites. Solid pro who always gave everything.

Ziege had some outstanding qualities, but his best days was probably behind him when he came to us.

You forgot Konchesky. ;)

Wilson will always be one of my personal favorites. Solid pro who always gave everything.

Ziege had some outstanding qualities, but his best days was probably behind him when he came to us.
Yeah I'd compare Wilson to someone like Corluka,but playing in some awful sides he'd never get much recognition.

I'd probably have to go for Ziege,had such a good left foot he's rather silky....

agreed

It has to be Ron Henry

notable mentions for Knowles and Hughton

Would have to agree - other than those three, it's a struggle to identify anyone else good enough even for the poll - let alone the final choice.

Interesting how we've struggled to identify decent shouts for the defense positions - other than Ledley; yet I am sure that there will be massive debates in the coming days on midfield and attack.

But then that is typically sexy, isn't it? Especially pre Poch....

Easy one this for me it has to be " Nice one Cyril" as he is the best we have had. There are only a couple of others who ( imo) deserve a mentioned.

Ron Henry : A bit like Baker in our Double Team he was a steady player who had a great left foot. He came to us as a CB but was converted to a FB. He was capped once in Ramseys first game as manager).

Christian Ziegle : Loved this guy and he was a top player in his day but he was 30 when he got here and already passed his best, he also was carrying a injury problem. Took a great freekick and was one of our better players.

Chris Hughton : Was a very underated player imo who gave us great service and could play either FB position well, he would probably get my vote but for Knowles.

Ziege and BAE are the first two that come to mind for me

Henry, Knowles and Hughton from the more distant past

I'd be tempted to suggest Bale though, as I suspect Ginola and Dyson will beat him out of LW

Not a position where we have many outstanding candidates although we have had a number of cult heroes over the years such as Beni, YP Lee, Pat Van den Hauwe, Christian Ziege and Cyril Knowles.

For me it is down to 3 players, Ron Henry, Cyril Knowles and Chris Hughton, I only saw Henry play 3-4 times so difficult to select as the best ever. Chris Hughton was a very reliable and steady full back who could score the odd goal and play at both right back and left back.

My vote though will go to Cyril Knowles. How can we not include a player whose name was included in a hit song? He was a player with a cultered left foot who scored many vital goals for us including 2 vs. Leeds in the mid 70s to keep us in the old first division. Although he always had a mistake in him - including an air shot on the line to lose us a league cup semi vs. Chelsea - overall I would rate him as most deserving of a place in the best ever X1

For me it's Cyril.

Other contenders were Henry and Ziege. Of my lifetime that I can remember, Ziege was the best I've seen at the lane but again I'd bow to my dad and granddad for this and go for Cyril. Already looking like a great team......

Never ever going to get anywhere near an all time Spurs team but I always loved Treacle! Definitely one of my cult favourites!

I've been watching Spurs since '87 and there haven't been an awful lot to shout about with left backs although Zeige and Benny jump out!

Not a position where we have many outstanding candidates although we have had a number of cult heroes over the years such as Beni, YP Lee, Pat Van den Hauwe, Christian Ziege and Cyril Knowles.

For me it is down to 3 players, Ron Henry, Cyril Knowles and Chris Hughton, I only saw Henry play 3-4 times so difficult to select as the best ever. Chris Hughton was a very reliable and steady full back who could score the odd goal and play at both right back and left back.

My vote though will go to Cyril Knowles. How can we not include a player whose name was included in a hit song? He was a player with a cultered left foot who scored many vital goals for us including 2 vs. Leeds in the mid 70s to keep us in the old first division. Although he always had a mistake in him - including an air shot on the line to lose us a league cup semi vs. Chelsea - overall I would rate him as most deserving of a place in the best ever X1

I think you are doing Hughton a bit of an injustice there.... he was far more than steady. Indeed he was a brilliant left back who would not look out of place in today's said. Great stamina, good on the overlap and solid in defence who was rarely beaten by his winger. Still remember his debut against Manchester Utd; someone said he was a Rolls Royce of a full back; which I think was a great analogy because his style was always smooth and effective.

Knowles barely got a shout at international level, although to be fair Ray Wilson was, in modern parlance, a top, top player, and Terry Cooper practically invented the concept of the overlapping full-back, so it is no shame in losing out to that pair.

I once saw Knowles stop the ball on his own goal line and dribble past an onrushing attacker, which gave me a heart attack, but he pulled it off.

His brother Peter was pretty handy, also.

Last edited:
Bale, simply because there will be other contenders for the LW spot but fewer outstanding LBs (though I am only 37)

Given Mabbutt has been chosen at CB rather than Macaky, it's exacerbated the problem of deciding between Gazza, Hoddle, Modric, Mackay and others in CM

Has to be Hughton for me. We have had some OK left backs in my time but he Stands out by far amongst the rest.

AS for when we get to midfield. I Think the way we set it up is important. But for me its going to be easy. Hoddle and Gazza although unbalanced they have to be in.

Back