• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - Goalkeeper

Who is the best goalkeeper to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Great to read posts from other people who were around before the days of the 'Sky Big 4'.
That's a polite way of calling the majority of posters on here old.

For me has to be Lloris, as I only remember from Ian Walker and beyond. I can't remember anything of Erik the Viking, except he made it onto the cover of FIFA 95 which is no mean feat....

For me has to be Lloris, as I only remember from Ian Walker and beyond. I can't remember anything of Erik the Viking, except he made it onto the cover of FIFA 95 which is no mean feat....

These are always mental masturbation exercises

I would have seen a little bit of Pat, but would really be lying if I said I can remember his attributes/style of play, what he was good at or not. I'm not going to vote for someone because others thought he was great. Game has also changed considerably, ball moves more (keepers have had to adapt, catch less), players are faster, keepers are expected to do stuff like sweep.

From memory where I can really recall multiple games, style of play, etc. Lloris is the best keeper I've seen for us.

We should do a pre and post sky era XI and see how they compare.

Not being an old fogey I can't really comment on our pre-90's players and I'm sure there are many in the same boat :)

Another old codger and anothher vote for Big Pat. Its a position that gets a lot of critisism for example a striker may miss a few chances during a match and everyonbe says never minbd he will probably get a couple in our next game. But if a keeper has a couple of bad gamescin a row they are likely to get dropped.

I have felt sorry for quite a few of our keepers due to some of the crap defences they have had in front of them. For some reason I have always had a liking for Erik Thordsvedt as he always came across as a real gent. I was at his debut against Forest and after about 5 minutes I think he made a huge clanger letting a tame shot from Nigel Clough through his hand to give Forest the lead and if I remember correctly he actually turned round and apologised to the fans behind him. Recently have had a fondness for Friedel even though he was at the end of his career. Again always seems like a real gent. Paul Robinson should get a mention too as one of the few keepers to score a goal for us!

He was one of the best keepers in the league was big Erik, and back in those days pretty much every Div 1 side had a top class keeper, there wasn't the wild variance we have now

he was a big presence, good at pretty much everything but obviously the badge on his chest meant he had the odd moment, he threw one into his own net on his debut iirc

From Ted Ditchburn's obituary in the Independent 2005

"For a generation and beyond, Ted Ditchburn was the yardstick by which all Tottenham Hotspur goalkeepers were judged. Even now, more than half a century on from his pomp, there are shrewd monitors of White Hart Lane who maintain unswervingly that he remains the most accomplished custodian in the history of a club whose net-minders have included the revered Irishman Pat Jennings and 2005 England incumbent Paul Robinson."

Like I said earlier , never saw him play but grew up on stories regarding his exploits.

I only ever saw Jennings play for Arse, and he was immense for them. At the time Clemence was in goal for us and whilst he was very good he was not as good as Jennings. Over the years we have had some Cult status keepers in Thorsvedt, Robinson, Sully and now we Have Lloris. But none of them are as good as Clemence and he was not as good as Jennings.

I Think this is an open and shut one. But the fact he spent so long at the Goons is a sore point. But that was not his fault.

he threw one into his own net on his debut iirc

I remember that game so well. We lost 2-1 to Nottingham Forest at home. Waddle was man of the match which is rare for a losing player to get the award. I think it was Clough who had a shot outside the area, Erik should have easily dealt with it but it went straight off his hands and in. I think Pearce put a pen away to make it 2-0. But from that point on he was Amazing.

One game up at the old Baseball ground the fans Sang the "I love Erik the Viking, and Erik the Viking" song all the way through half time. He was a very good keeper. But Clemence was a tad better and around longer.

I remember that game so well. We lost 2-1 to Nottingham Forest at home. Waddle was man of the match which is rare for a losing player to get the award. I think it was Clough who had a shot outside the area, Erik should have easily dealt with it but it went straight off his hands and in. I think Pearce put a pen away to make it 2-0. But from that point on he was Amazing.

One game up at the old Baseball ground the fans Sang the "I love Erik the Viking, and Erik the Viking" song all the way through half time. He was a very good keeper. But Clemence was a tad better and around longer.

Didn't he save a pen in the following Euro game (some Austrian minnows from memory)?

Didn't he save a pen in the following Euro game (some Austrian minnows from memory)?

wouldn't have been straight away, we didn't play in europe until the 91/92 season, the cup winners cup, he'd been here a couple of seasons by then

The best keeper I have seen for Spurs is Lloris.

But the best keeper ever, from the talk of Spurs fans older than me (like my dad) is Jennings. That Liverpool game where he saved 2 penalties, was that the one where the Kop applauded him?

Pat Jennings - one of my boyhood heroes - no brainer for me
But, honourable mentions for Clemence,Erik the Viking,Lloris and Paul Robinson

wouldn't have been straight away, we didn't play in europe until the 91/92 season, the cup winners cup, he'd been here a couple of seasons by then

Aaaah! You got me on the hunt for the team and year! I remember the name starting with an 'S' and finally cracked it. haha.

http://www.worldfootball.net/report...qualifikation-sv-stockerau-tottenham-hotspur/

Seems a couple of years off. No idea why I tied the two games together (perhaps because I liked him).

On my hunt... Interesting about Europe's fave keepers: http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/news/newsid=2202983.html

Being a Spurs fan since 1980, Clemence (who was probably at his best for LFC and unfortunately behind the brilliant Shilton for England), Erik, Lloris. Gomes has the potential but not the nerve it seems.

We did have some dross though... Daines, Mimms...

Aleksic was an interesting one. Some injury ended him apparently. Was a joker off the field (bricking in the player's bath).

The first sight of Jennings was in my Panini album - on the first page (it began with an A)

In my time supporting Spurs...funnily enough, I'd say Gomes in 09/10. Particularly during the second half of that season - that game against Arsenal where he clawed Judas' header out of the air and saved an unstoppable Van Persie free kick was simply unbelievable. In terms of consistency over a long period, I'd say Lloris, definitely.

The older folks on this forum will say Jennings, and by all accounts he was phenomenally good - it's just that I've never seen him play. :p

Back