• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

is there a TV on the side of the pitch like in Serie A/the World cup. Shouldn't the ref who is reffing the game be viewing that rather than getting the "all clear" from the VAR ref.

is there a TV on the side of the pitch like in Serie A/the World cup. Shouldn't the ref who is reffing the game be viewing that rather than getting the "all clear" from the VAR ref.

I thought that was an appalling way to run it at the WC and did far more to ruin the game than anything.

And it really begs the question, if the ref on the earpiece is qualified, why would it even be necessary for the on field ref to look for himself?

Its no different to him taking the linesmans word on an incident he saw better.

None of them want to have their name against any decision it seems, so they just pass the buck between them until nobody picks it up.

Weird, really, because with the technology they have available they should be more confident than ever when making calls.

I would not lay any money on that mate.

I most certainly would. There’s bound to be teething problems. However, going forward technology will improve and enable us to get far more accurate frame rates. I also don’t doubt for one second that there will be similar issues this season. I believe this will either see a reversion of the offside rule to prevent VAR replays disallowing a goal for an arm which you cannot score with - or some kind of allowance being introduced in line with technology whilst we develop that which can be conclusive.

I think we need to move past the fact that this has happened to us for a change, recognise the benefits it brings and accept that in the first proper season and of it things will have to be learnt.

Edit: Almost forgot to say - no one hates VAR enough to drop football. The teams that sell out stadiums all the time will still sell our stadiums all the time. Look at us - we had a 90,000 seater stadium (sometimes later on reduced to I think 47,000 for later on) and did pretty solid on selling out virtually all games which weren’t in the league cup because of tourists and demand from fans - despite the fact we haven’t won a trophy in 11 years.

The demand for football is such that people are always going to want to go.

Last edited:
I most certainly would. There’s bound to be teething problems. However, going forward technology will improve and enable us to get far more accurate frame rates. I also don’t doubt for one second that there will be similar issues this season. I believe this will either see a reversion of the offside rule to prevent VAR replays disallowing a goal for an arm which you cannot score with - or some kind of allowance being introduced in line with technology whilst we develop that which can be conclusive.

I think we need to move past the fact that this has happened to us for a change, recognise the benefits it brings and accept that in the first proper season and of it things will have to be learnt.

Edit: Almost forgot to say - no one hates VAR enough to drop football. The teams that sell out stadiums all the time will still sell our stadiums all the time. Look at us - we had a 90,000 seater stadium (sometimes later on reduced to I think 47,000 for later on) and did pretty solid on selling out virtually all games which weren’t in the league cup because of tourists and demand from fans - despite the fact we haven’t won a trophy in 11 years.

What we've seen so far is way beyond teething problems. It's a complete inability to take advantage of the existing technology to correct wrong refereeing decisions - errors so obvious and visible that basically everyone can spot from a single replay, or even in real time.

Instead they pretend today's technology is more accurate than it is, and spend their energy reviewing offside decisions so tight it's practically impossible to be sure either way. It's a waste of time until the technology is good enough to make that 100 % decision. The only outcome of today's practice is more hostility and negativity towards VAR.

What we've seen so far is way beyond teething problems.

If the football world was not prepared to put up with the small number of Ref's human errors why should we/I put up with delays in the game using a system that is not yet ready to use and that makes the same mistakes than refs with replays and technology on their side? It makes no sense.

Remember all the times on MOTD and SS when replays were on and people said "we have seen it three or four times and we can't work it out" thats the whole reason VAR is not and will never be ready.

If the football world was not prepared to put up with the small number of Ref's human errors why should we/I put up with delays in the game using a system that is not yet ready to use and that makes the same mistakes than refs with replays and technology on their side? It makes no sense.

Remember all the times on MOTD and SS when replays were on and people said "we have seen it three or four times and we can't work it out" thats the whole reason VAR is not and will never be ready.

tickle my balls with a feather.

It's already turning me off. That moment when you realise after you've just scored, maybe you haven't, it has to go to the VAR, it's infuriating.

Okay it works both ways but still, it's deadening.

To know that this now needs to happen after EVERY goal is hugely dispiriting.

Believe me it's killing the passion.

It's already turning me off. That moment when you realise after you've just scored, maybe you haven't, it has to go to the VAR, it's infuriating.

If the ref made a wrong decision you still lived the moment. Score and celebrate, ruled out and you were infuriated, now its not the same in any way shape or form.

This VAR pending stuff is not worth it IMO

Have to agree with this there are roughly 20 of us who travel for the games ( all S/T holders) and to a man they/we are sick to the back teeth of it. So much that at least a couple of them are seriously considering not renewing for next season ( and these guys have been going for years).

Football has always been about the instant highs and lows and VAR is slowly taking that away from the enjoyment. Its my favourite buttplug and the sooner its scrapped the better.

Have to agree with this there are roughly 20 of us who travel for the games ( all S/T holders) and to a man they/we are sick to the back teeth of it. So much that at least a couple of them are seriously considering not renewing for next season ( and these guys have been going for years).

Football has always been about the instant highs and lows and VAR is slowly taking that away from the enjoyment. Its my favourite buttplug and the sooner its scrapped the better.
See, VAR does have its uses.

Back