• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

The way VAR works/doesn't work today, perhaps it would be an improvement if VAR refs were required to explain their judgement on every decision they made during a game? "We decided to let the yellow stand, because...".

If they then do have a good explanaition, matters could be settled. If they don't - well, then at least everyone will know, and efforts can be made to ensure it doesn’t happen again. (theoretically, at least)

I'm annoyed obviously with my Spurs underpants on regarding VAR today - but I can't be too upset as we are going to be in guineapig phase with VAR for at least a couple of seasons.
Let's hope these anomalies are sorted asap.

You can’t trial technology that hasn’t that level of influence at the highest level

They should run it in the background and judge it offline

You can’t trial technology that hasn’t that level of influence at the highest level

They should run it in the background and judge it offline

Yes, you can trial tech live and I've done this many times online and that's exactly what VAR is doing.

The offside rule in its current guise has failed. Just as our early banking gismos did

Fifa or whoever just need to change/tweak it! VAR will evolve over time just like in cricket et al
It really isn't rocket science;)

Last edited:
Yes, you can trial tech live and I've done this many times online.

The offside rule in its current guise has failed. Just as our early banking gismos did.

Fifa or whoever just need to change/tweak it! VAR will evolve over time just like in cricket et al
It really isn't rocket science;)

When new versions of software fudges up as bad as this at my job, we usually roll it back to the previous version and leave it there until the mistakes have been corrected. The problem is that we have to sit this season out for this to happen, since they can't change how VAR is used or if it is used at all when it has already been used in the current campaign.

When new versions of software fudges up as bad as this at my job, we usually roll it back to the previous version and leave it there until the mistakes have been corrected. The problem is that we have to sit this season out for this to happen, since they can't change how VAR is used or if it is used at all when it has already been used in the current campaign.

Do we have to sit the season out?
Did they not change the goalkeeper feet on line rule during penalties overnight?

Can't they just test the tech without using it on the game? Surely they can test it on offsides in a game without VAR to see how well it picks it up and review after the games? To use it for the first ever season live in the highest level of world football is silly.

The FA has a huge list of mistakes that have been made so far, the game deserves better.

I can accept 3 men making a mistake I can't accept 4+ who have technology when the promise was to make the game better not worse.

Can't they just test the tech without using it on the game? Surely they can test it on offsides in a game without VAR to see how well it picks it up and review after the games? To use it for the first ever season live in the highest level of world football is silly.

The FA has a huge list of mistakes that have been made so far, the game deserves better.

I can accept 3 men making a mistake I can't accept 4+ who have technology when the promise was to make the game better not worse.

That’s exactly how I’d do it
This is in effect BETA testing with games worth millions of pounds

That’s exactly how I’d do it
This is in effect BETA testing with games worth millions of pounds

With the excuse that there is new technology coming out to improve it. Then scrap it till then. Otherwise its a sham.

An idea meant to make less mistake making huge mistakes....and its not just how it is being used which is wrong.

VAR was dreadful yesterday. Grey was a sending off and you can't tell either way on Son so how it can be given is beyond me.

VARs just poor, I rarely celebrate goals anymore like before at risk of it being overuled.

All the soul being sucked out the game fears are being realised

Indeed, i see/meet a lot of fans on my travels around the grounds and the majority are getting tinkled off with not only the delay to the games but the number of fudge ups it gets wrong.

Its my favourite buttplug.

People can package it up anyway they like by saying its the Tech or its how its used but ultimately its not ready either way.

As I said before as a fact 98% of decisions are correct in football by refs, is this all worth it for the last 2% no chance

People can package it up anyway they like by saying its the Tech or its how its used but ultimately its not ready either way.

As I said before as a fact 98% of decisions are correct in football by refs, is this all worth it for the last 2% no chance
I agree
It’s too much for so little

Do we have to sit the season out?
Did they not change the goalkeeper feet on line rule during penalties overnight?

I believe there was a set date, but the new laws do not apply to tournaments already in progress. The new laws are for instance not yet implemented in the Nordic leagues that follow the calendar year rather than the regular football season.

As I suspected, from reading the comments it's obvious that many, if not the majority, completely miss the point that the technology is not fit for purpose and continue begging the question with statements to the effect that "it doesn't matter if it's only millimetres if it shows you're offside." They don't understand the issue.

'Drawing a best-guess straight line is not accuracy, consistency, or whatever it is we expect. There is only a pretence of academic rigour here. Understanding and acknowledging a margin for error, incorporating uncertainty is a part of being precise. This is simply bad science ...

'There is a price to pay here for the most precious part of the spectacle, the miracle of the moment, the goal, the shared experience. Is it worth paying?'

Will the Premier League please take note.

Back