• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

This thread is turning into the Sissoko type thread, in that some fans went overboard with the slagging off of him and thought he was a terrible players. Thankfully some of those have adjusted their opinions while others have refused to see that he has turned into a good player.

I feel the same is starting to happen here as well, some fans said it would be the best thing to happen to/for the game. And despite the mess it has been they will have to stick to their original opinons no matter what. :p
The similarity that you are looking for, is that both weren't very good to start with, but some felt with support they could come good.
Others straight up dismissed them from the start. ;)

The similarity that you are looking for, is that both weren't very good to start with, but some felt with support they could come good.
Others straight up dismissed them from the start. ;)

I can see that Sissoko has improved no end, sadly the same can not be said of VAR though. :)

This thread is turning into the Sissoko type thread, in that some fans went overboard with the slagging off of him and thought he was a terrible players. Thankfully some of those have adjusted their opinions while others have refused to see that he has turned into a good player.

I feel the same is starting to happen here as well, some fans said it would be the best thing to happen to/for the game. And despite the mess it has been they will have to stick to their original opinons no matter what. :p
A man of your vintage should understand the concept of patience. It is a work in progress. It is already better than prior, and will improve further.

A man of your vintage should understand the concept of patience. It is a work in progress. It is already better than prior, and will improve further.

I don't think it's possible to be worse than the absolute clusterfudge we had before.

"We're gonna make mistakes, and... that's it... we don't care."

Ok, so earlier today Mane was pulled to the ground in the box, with the Saudi Sportswashing Machine defender having a tightly wrapped arm around Mane's neck.

The ref didn't do anything. Neither did the VAR guys, when everyone could see from the replay that it was a foul. There wasn't even a mention of VAR checking it out.

That's what I don't get. For me, that was a penalty all day long. Yet VAR didn't act on it or even review the incident at all.

What's the difference from pre-VAR when brick like that gets ignored? Had that been Kane at a deciding moment in a match, I would've been fuming.

When VAR keeps failing at these simplest of decisions, what's the point? They're obviously no infallible gods, but you do expect that a room full of referees with high tech digital equipment and unlimited replays will be able to spot these kind of fouls.

Compare that to their show off, two minute broadcast replays where they try to deciphre whether we're looking at a three millimetre offside or not. It doesn’t make sense. And if it keeps not making sense to football fans, VAR won't have a very bright future IMO.

Ok, so earlier today Mane was pulled to the ground in the box, with the Saudi Sportswashing Machine defender having a tightly wrapped arm around Mane's neck.

The ref didn't do anything. Neither did the VAR guys, when everyone could see from the replay that it was a foul. There wasn't even a mention of VAR checking it out.

That's what I don't get. For me, that was a penalty all day long. Yet VAR didn't act on it or even review the incident at all.

What's the difference from pre-VAR when brick like that gets ignored? Had that been Kane at a deciding moment in a match, I would've been fuming.

When VAR keeps failing at these simplest of decisions, what's the point? They're obviously no infallible gods, but you do expect that a room full of referees with high tech digital equipment and unlimited replays will be able to spot these kind of fouls.

Compare that to their show off, two minute broadcast replays where they try to deciphre whether we're looking at a three millimetre offside or not. It doesn’t make sense. And if it keeps not making sense to football fans, VAR won't have a very bright future IMO.

Sounds to me like the referees in the booth either spoke to the ref and left him to it or also made a mistake.

I assume the VAR referees are assessed the same way as the on pitch officials and will be sanctioned accordingly?

Sounds to me like the referees in the booth either spoke to the ref and left him to it or also made a mistake.

I assume the VAR referees are assessed the same way as the on pitch officials and will be sanctioned accordingly?

For me It's one out or three options:

If they saw the error and still let the ref decide it's no foul, then VAR is just pointless.

If they can't see clear as day fouls like that, VAR is pointless.

If VAR for some reason isn't supposed to adress blatant fouls like that, VAR is pointless.

Either way for me, if a room full of supposedly trained officials with the equipment they have at hand, are incapable of seeing or prevented from taking action against fouls like that, they might as well say fudge it and abandon VAR completely. At least when there's just the ref doing his best in real time, you can understand the occational error.

But micrometers for offside, even though the distances involved are lost in the noise at 50 frames a second.

If they saw the error and still let the ref decide it's no foul, then VAR is just pointless.

If VAR for some reason isn't supposed to adress blatant fouls like that, VAR is pointless.

Either way for me, if a room full of supposedly trained officials with the equipment they have at hand, are incapable of seeing or prevented from taking action against fouls like that, they might as well say fudge it and abandon VAR completely. At least when there's just the ref doing his best in real time, you can understand the occational error.

The point of VAR is to give trained officials a second look, it’s better than what we had before, which, for a game with such riches was an absolute tinkle take imo.

A potential side benefit of VAR is that incompetent officials will he highlighted and retired sooner.

The arguments against VAR can all be multiplied for referees, I’ve not seen removing them suggested anywhere though.

In the WC, after a hesitant start, that sort of foul led to a pen.

Going by what we've seen so far in the PL I'm guessing that when the arrogant refs all got together pre-season they agreed that when it comes to judgement calls, e.g. wrestling a player down in the box, if the ref doesn't give it then the VAR is expected to back him up regardless. No other way to explain it imo.

In the WC, after a hesitant start, that sort of foul led to a pen.

Going by what we've seen so far in the PL I'm guessing that when the arrogant refs all got together pre-season they agreed that when it comes to judgement calls, e.g. wrestling a player down in the box, if the ref doesn't give it then the VAR is expected to back him up regardless. No other way to explain it imo.
More important than an improvement in technology is the removal of the infallibility of referees.

tickle my balls with a feather, its my favourite buttplug.

The point of VAR is to give trained officials a second look, it’s better than what we had before, which, for a game with such riches was an absolute tinkle take imo.

A potential side benefit of VAR is that incompetent officials will he highlighted and retired sooner.

The arguments against VAR can all be multiplied for referees, I’ve not seen removing them suggested anywhere though.

I disagree - while there are certainly refereeing errors so bad you think the ref must be blind, a couple of guys randomly placed around the field judging incidents in real time, can't realistically be expected to spot everything. Blatant fouls can be overlooked simply because the ref wasn't positioned good enough.

Which, in my view anyway, is what I believe VAR should be about. More refs, using technology and replays to spot the glaringly obvious fouls that weren't given - and to correct the ref when he got it wrong.

Even that's not fool proof of course, but you have to expect more from that system than a non-reaction to incidents like the Mane foul, which every half witted football fan spotted from the first replay.

If that's what we can expect, I don't believe VAR will be the improvement we were hoping for. I really thought it would be, but so far I'm not convinced.

I disagree - while there are certainly refereeing errors so bad you think the ref must be blind, a couple of guys randomly placed around the field judging incidents in real time, can't realistically be expected to spot everything. Blatant fouls can be overlooked simply because the ref wasn't positioned good enough.

Which, in my view anyway, is what I believe VAR should be about. More refs, using technology and replays to spot the glaringly obvious fouls that weren't given - and to correct the ref when he got it wrong.

Even that's not fool proof of course, but you have to expect more from that system than a non-reaction to incidents like the Mane foul, which every half witted football fan spotted from the first replay.

If that's what we can expect, I don't believe VAR will be the improvement we were hoping for. I really thought it would be, but so far I'm not convinced.

That’s exactly what VAR is for.

The problem we have currently is the PL’s half arsed implementation and a bad group of referees.

We are moving in the right direction.

VAR hasn't got a hope until every word spoken between the real ref and the video ones are broadcast aloud and in real time in the stadium (like cricket). You need that transparency.

Var still dreadful

It's notably sucked passion out of games. Player and crowd celebrations have become muted since the Sterling incident(s).

The Euro matches last week were really refreshing in that everyone could focus on the actual sporting part of the game again

Back