• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

in super slow mo - in realtime it does not look this way- Majority of people do not see it your way so perhaps its not as clear as you imagine.

Doesn't matter if it's in slow mo or not he reacts to seeing the ball by sticking his arm out - that's handball.

If a player sticks his leg out in the same manner and trips someone it's a foul/penalty

Doesn't matter if it's in slow mo or not he reacts to seeing the ball by sticking his arm out - that's handball.

If a player sticks his leg out in the same manner and trips someone it's a foul/penalty
it does matter as slow mo distorts things - he does not react and stick his arm out, this is a majority view.

There isn't the requirement for a player sticking his leg out to be deliberate so not applicable.

So correct decisions have improved from 95% to 99%, but 99% is still unacceptable.

There's no such thing as a correct decision for the majority of incidences. For anything involving contact it's always subjective

You could say the referees were wrong 99% of the time depending on your judgement on 'reasonable'

it does matter as slow mo distorts things - he does not react and stick his arm out, this is a majority view.

There isn't the requirement for a player sticking his leg out to be deliberate so not applicable.

But he does react, It's there in plain view - he sticks his arm out to the ball.

arm going one way towards his body > ball comes in to view > arm quickly moves towards the ball (opposite direction)

Hand ball

Preaching to the choir mate, Ive been saying exactly this from the start.

The VAR ref is a full and qualified ref (hilariously even in full kit). There is no reason at all why they cant send a decision down the line and have it enforced on the field.
Not quite. I was focusing specifically on your comment that anything (my italics) that allows the ref to make better decisions is a good thing by you. To which I'm saying, not if it takes an interminable age like that one in the WCF did. The process HAS to be speeded up, otherwise it just exasperates the fans and damages the whole spectacle.

But he does react, It's there in plain view - he sticks his arm out to the ball.

arm going one way towards his body > ball comes in to view > arm quickly moves towards the ball (opposite direction)

Hand ball
no it doesn't - all what you have written is an interpretation, and you seem to be in the minority.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44841143

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...inal-referee-got-penalty-call-wrong-5dgkhqw0t

"His hand was in a natural position — ie not above his head — and the distance from ball to hand was close."

Not quite. I was focusing specifically on your comment that anything (my italics) that allows the ref to make better decisions is a good thing by you. To which I'm saying, not if it takes an interminable age like that one in the WCF did. The process HAS to be speeded up, otherwise it just exasperates the fans and damages the whole spectacle.

If youve been reading the thread youll know I dont disagree at all.

Ive maintained a few things througout

- More right decisions is better
- Needs to be faster - most sensibly by allowing the VAR ref to make decisions
- Broadcast the audio so we all know what/how/why etc

an argument I do not necessarily agree with but...

As there are so many subjective calls for the ref, having the board and the ref both make decisions means two different filters / tolerance's for fouls. This means a lack of consistency and a drop in standards. Fifa also mentioned in their blurb when introducing VAR that they did not want to undermine the on field referee by allowing someone hirer up to over-rule them.
I get that FIFA do not want to undermine the ref and that's why the opportunity to review his decision is handed back to him.

But umpires' decisions in cricket are routinely overturned and it does not seem to cause any problems so why must footy be different? Both teams want the outcome to be in their favour but, I submit, will accept the verdict of the review panel more readily once they know it has been taken out of the ref's hands.

I believe it's inevitable that this is what will happen eventually.

no it doesn't - all what you have written is an interpretation, and you seem to be in the minority.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44841143

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...inal-referee-got-penalty-call-wrong-5dgkhqw0t

"His hand was in a natural position — ie not above his head — and the distance from ball to hand was close."

The player moves his arm towards the ball - that is not an interpretation, it's what happens - it's what the replays shows.

When you factor in that the natural movement of his arm was going away from the ball in the opposite direction and the speed in which he then moves towards the ball there's only one logical conclusion afaic

I get that FIFA do not want to undermine the ref and that's why the opportunity to review his decision is handed back to him.

But umpires' decisions in cricket are routinely overturned and it does not seem to cause any problems so why must footy be different? Both teams want the outcome to be in their favour but, I submit, will accept the verdict of the review panel more readily once they know it has been taken out of the ref's hands.

I believe it's inevitable that this is what will happen eventually.
you will get (what happened in some games) any decision going against you players going mental to get it reviewed as they know there is a higher power. You used to have to suck it up as you know you couldn't change the refs mind, now however you are being told you can. I am not arguing for arguments sake and I think VAR will come in but without significant changes it will have these problems.

Are there any other sports (pre or post VAR) where refs are disrespected so much as in Football (McEnroe was an exception), if we can stop the disrespect we should be doing it now rather than waiting for VAR to come in.

Are there any other sports (pre or post VAR) where refs are disrespected so much as in Football (McEnroe was an exception), if we can stop the disrespect we should be doing it now rather than waiting for VAR to come in.

This has been a long time issue and, imo, for no good reason other than clubs hold far to much clout.

The powers that be should simply implement the rules. If theres a period where games finish with 5-6 red cards for dissent then so be it, let it happen. Stay the course and players/clubs will have to react and fall in line.

As it is, that will is never shown, is it?

I think the opposite to you, actually - perhaps with the call coming from a detatched source, with the knowledge there are 5 sets of eyes rather than one, that calls might be more respected. Its probably easier for the ref to dismiss argument as well - "It wasnt me, is what it is, move along".

The player moves his arm towards the ball - that is not an interpretation, it's what happens - it's what the replays shows.

When you factor in that the natural movement of his arm was going away from the ball in the opposite direction and the speed in which he then moves towards the ball there's only one logical conclusion afaic
you should have ended your point with FACT!!! - arguments over then.

his hand moves in the same direction it was moving in before the ball went over Pogbas head - Every one has seen the same video, majority think it was not handball, it is an interpretation and yours is the minority.

Last edited:
Back