• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

I think the point Paul was making is goal-line technology is there to assist the referees making the correct decision very much like VAR. VAR has massive room for improvement. To completely trash it because of the poor implementation is foolish.
I wouldn't trash it, no, but I think it's a long way off where it needs to be. You've basically just added an armchair ref who has an overriding opinion on things, for some reason.

That Paul chap says he's happy for it to get stuff wrong, I don't think it can be getting anything wrong, personally. If it's going to interject, it has to be correct.

I'd rather the ref could just have another look at things if he's not 100% sure; correct culprit, potential dives, stuff like that. No extra referee in the re-tasked tactics truck, he'd still be refereeing the game.

You are referring to the outdated Law for both instances. It's been updated.

The foul continued into the box - according to the Laws of the Game, it's a penalty.

Son stopped in his run up which is unsportsmanlike conduct therefore it is illegal. As for the encroachment that was the second offense.
Do you have evidence of the new penalty rule?

The players encroached before Son stuttered i believe, so that encroachment is the first and only offense in that sequence of events.

The Trippier one seems strange to me but I know everyone on tv was saying it was correct.

The Llorente one remains incorrect.

Last edited:
Son stopped in his run up which is unsportsmanlike conduct therefore it is illegal. .

this is not a thing, the ref can make anything unsportsmanlike but stopping your run is not explicitly, its a catch all for fudging up - take a look at Gallagher on Sky even sticking up for the Ref he only uses the fact he must have thought Son had finished his run up. If you think he was still in the process of his run up then it was an incorrect decision.

Wasn't one of the reasons given by the anti-video technology phalanx, that controversial referee decisions gives fans something to talk about after the game?

this is not a thing, the ref can make anything unsportsmanlike but stopping your run is not explicitly, its a catch all for fudging up - take a look at Gallagher on Sky even sticking up for the Ref he only uses the fact he must have thought Son had finished his run up. If you think he was still in the process of his run up then it was an incorrect decision.

This .. unsportsmanlike behavior is exactly that, a catch all, to use it in a set piece/penalty type situation where there are clear rules that allows the player's action is some combination of massive overreach, incompetence, corruption or fudge knows what else by two officials ..

Well as i have said before i think the use of VAR is just another nail in the coffin of what once was the greatest game in the world, i know some would say that is a over reaction but i could not disagree more, and here is why. I have been attending matches for over 50 years but at last night game i was on the verge of leaving the game at half time ( something i have never done or considered before).

The reason was the farce of a first half that was caused because of VAR, there were a few of us who were going to do just that but we decided that having paid our money we would see the game out ( and it did get better). However if it continues the way is has done ( even in other countries there are the same problems happening) then it may be the FINAL nail in the coffin of myself and mates travelling up and down the country to watch what is rapidly turning into a joke.

Goal line decisions is fine but the rest will NEVER work because there will be different opinions on whatever they decide ( case in point is the perfectly good goal by Lamela which was wrongly ruled out).

Well as i have said before i think the use of VAR is just another nail in the coffin of what once was the greatest game in the world, i know some would say that is a over reaction but i could not disagree more, and here is why. I have been attending matches for over 50 years but at last night game i was on the verge of leaving the game at half time ( something i have never done or considered before).

The reason was the farce of a first half that was caused because of VAR, there were a few of us who were going to do just that but we decided that having paid our money we would see the game out ( and it did get better). However if it continues the way is has done ( even in other countries there are the same problems happening) then it may be the FINAL nail in the coffin of myself and mates travelling up and down the country to watch what is rapidly turning into a joke.

Goal line decisions is fine but the rest will NEVER work because there will be different opinions on whatever they decide ( case in point is the perfectly good goal by Lamela which was wrongly ruled out).

I'd actually agree to some extent, two things stood out for me last night

- As Poch said, I stopped celebrating goals spontaneously after Lamela's was ruled out. That totally fudges up the experience, part of attending games is the screaming and hugging/celebrations we people who 10 seconds before were complete strangers
- My missus (Spurs fan) was completely frustrated in 1st half, she said it was the worst game to watch that she has ever seen. Really not a good audience reaction.

I'd actually agree to some extent, two things stood out for me last night

- As Poch said, I stopped celebrating goals spontaneously after Lamela's was ruled out. That totally fudges up the experience, part of attending games is the screaming and hugging/celebrations we people who 10 seconds before were complete strangers
- My missus (Spurs fan) was completely frustrated in 1st half, she said it was the worst game to watch that she has ever seen. Really not a good audience reaction.

Bingo, its such a stupid idea and the real fans will suffer the most and it will kill the fun of most that i know. Poch has hit the tickle my balls with a feather with his comments.

It was like football hosted by Chris fudging Tarrant, "you're saying it's a goal, are you sure, do you want to change you're mind, think carefully, blah blah blah."

Clattenburg: VAR is here to stay – but it should take 15 seconds to check a goal

We need VAR, 100 per cent, but it should be used ten times a season not ten times in a single game, as it felt like it was at Wembley on Wednesday night. We should be correcting those absolutely scandalous decisions, where everybody agrees “that’s wrong”, not overturning judgment calls or reviewing every single piece of information.

... VAR is also in danger of taking authority away from our referees. Erik Lamela’s early “goal” for Spurs was ruled out after a length discussion between Paul Tierney, the referee, and Graham Scott, his VAR, because of a foul by Fernando Llorente on Harrison McGahey, but I didn’t think that was a clear and obvious error. It was a judgement call by the referee.

In that instance, Tierney should be left to make that decision. VAR shouldn’t be advising on what I’d term a “soft foul”. Was it a foul or not? People are still arguing about it I love the debate. The referee had already made his decision on the pitch and he didn’t think it was a foul. You might think it was, one of my colleagues might think the same, but it’s not one you can clear up with VAR. So it should stay on the pitch — that’s football.

... For goals, you have something between one minute and 90 seconds until the restart and that should allow the VAR to do a “silent check”; make sure there was no offside, no blatant foul in the build-up, that the ball was still in play. It should only take 15 seconds.

... we should be using VAR to overturn travesties; Thierry Henry’s handball goal for France against Ireland and, if you look over the course of this season, Abdoulaye Doucoure punching in a late equaliser for Watford — a clear act of attempting to deceive the referee — that obvious offside when Miguel Britos made it 3-3 for Watford against Liverpool. That is what the system is made for.

Certainly will ruin the fluidity of the game in it's current state - didnt really bother me last night as it was a game we were always likely to win but had it been a more closely contested game then it would have ruined my enjoyment.

Needs a lot of work for it to run smoothly

I stopped celebrating goals automatically after Mendes at OT, at least they have to show their working now rather than being able to fudge us over with impunity like the old days.

Certainly will ruin the fluidity of the game in it's current state - didnt really bother me last night as it was a game we were always likely to win but had it been a more closely contested game then it would have ruined my enjoyment.

Needs a lot of work for it to run smoothly
Yeah lots and lots of work. Personally I don't think it adds anything but a poorer spectator experience. The mistakes have just moved from the ref to an anonymous official hiding somewhere. And even if you take away the the right or wrong of these decisions, the length of the stoppages and frequency of them will just destroy the flow of the game and suck the joy out of goals. Maybe one challenge a game might work but as of now that match was as good as argument to bin it as I have seen.

Reminds me of the Ice Hockey when I watched it in New York.

I blame people like Ferguson and Wenger, the bad sports who could never take a bad decision against them and who put pressure on refs to give bad decisions for them.

It works in ice hockey though, I would argue. The game is pretty intense and start-stop as it is with face offs all the time, and seeing as you can only challenge so many calls, it never really feels like it's invading the game (or the enjoyment of it). In my opinion, anyway. It might just not work for football, where there aren't frequent "natural" stops in the game in the same way you see in ice hockey.

Poch was pretty dignified and diplomatic in his post-match discussion of VAR and handling the inevitable questions about the confusion.
He did very well to not come across as condemning the ref and wanting to do what he could to help resolve this.

Probably helped that we won 6-1 :)

If you can stop in the run-up, then the taker should stop half way, turn round and moon the keeper, give the ref the finger, then smash the ball into the top corner.

Back