• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Not in a contact sport - there will always be a grey area around how much is too much contact

Similarly when they messed with the offside rule a few years ago, they introduced loads of ambiguity and interpretation there

It seems inevitable that it won’t be a contact sport for much longer. Although, again, the NFL is full contact, doesn’t stop video replay working.

Agree on offside, it’s needlessly complicated, it worked well when it was simply down to where three players had their feet, I blame it on FIFA’s fetishisation of goals.

None of those sports have flow. They are very short setpice plays, punctuated by much longer periods of resetting

Way more turnovers in a soccer match, only basketball has more. I didn’t play to any level but I’d reset about 100 times a game, the ball didn’t need to go out of play or even to the other side for me to need to adjust my starting position.

Also, we may not see it, but top level teams are coached in short set piece plays too, the secret footballer had a good explanation in his second book iirc.

It seems inevitable that it won’t be a contact sport for much longer. Although, again, the NFL is full contact, doesn’t stop video replay working.

Agree on offside, it’s needlessly complicated, it worked well when it was simply down to where three players had their feet, I blame it on FIFA’s fetishisation of goals.

I blame it on FIFA having to try and justify its existence. The backpass rule and 3 points for a win have been about the only meddling with the sport that have improved it in the last 50 years.

I blame it on FIFA having to try and justify its existence. The backpass rule and 3 points for a win have been about the only meddling with the sport that have improved it in the last 50 years.

I’d add removing the tackle from behind to that.

Way more turnovers in a soccer match, only basketball has more. I didn’t play to any level but I’d reset about 100 times a game, the ball didn’t need to go out of play or even to the other side for me to need to adjust my starting position.

But you are resetting while the game is live. In the others the game is dead while you are polishing the ball/gardening the crease or fiddling with your racket string

They banned snoods too. Kudos for that.

Last edited:
But you are resetting while the game is live. In the others the game is dead while you are polishing the ball/gardening the crease or fiddling with your racket string

How is that relevant?

Mourinho (again, iirc) has explained many times about “phases of play”, just because the ball is in play it’s not a given that both teams are engaged.

The idea has merit, but when applied to today's game as example

- Not every fudging thing needs to go to replay
- 50/50s should always go to attacking side, no way in any non VAR match does Lamela's goal get disallowed

And I still have no fudging idea what decision the VAR ref made re Son's penalty that results in a yellow card and no replay?

This is what everyone fears, and incompetent ref +stupid VAR +weird/unexplained pauses in game with decisions never made before (has anyone ever seen a penalty disallowed, taker given a yellow card and other team given a free kick?)

Also, whilst I think of it, the ball being in or out of play is only a concept to the audience, you don’t stop tracking your man (yes Reg, or woman) or holding your line or communicating whilst the ball is being collected for a throw or place kick.

Similarly NFL players don’t switch off between downs, you’re numbers counting and watching formations, ready to strike early if you can catch them out.

- 50/50s should always go to attacking side, no way in any non VAR match does Lamela's goal get disallowed

And I still have no fudging idea what decision the VAR ref made re Son's penalty that results in a yellow card and no replay?

This is what everyone fears, and incompetent ref +stupid VAR +weird/unexplained pauses in game with decisions never made before (has anyone ever seen a penalty disallowed, taker given a yellow card and other team given a free kick?)

Why?

Sons penalty penialisation was not a VAR decision

Taking the crazy decisions out of it for a minute, the whole implementation of it doesn't work either. It affects the flow game too much and sucks the joy out of scoring a goal. If they are to use it then it needs to be light touch, quicker decisions and not stop the game like it does. Seldom used would also be on my list. I'm not sure what the answer is but we're not looking at it now.

That had nothing to do with VAR.
That was 100% a fault of officials.

The human beings behind the implementation are at fault!

Last edited:
It's one of those things, like thalidomide, CFCs, asbestos or facism, where humanity reminds itself just how dumb it can be sometimes.

- 30 seconds max to review.

- if after 30secs no decision is made then refs decision stands.

- Any non clear cut situation The refs decision stands.

If the ball doesn't go out of play within ten seconds of an incident the captain can call for a review.

If the review is unsucessful the captain gets a yellow card

1 review per game.

Yep, he fudged up on the penalty and it was embarrassing watching foy try to justify it.

If that is what going to happen by using VAR then I would say forget it!
If the people can't handle VAR then bin it!

I WANT it but tonight it was my favourite buttplug!

That had nothing to do with VAR.
That was 400% a fault of officials.

The human being behind the implementation are at fault!
Is there a method where officials are not involved? That is Var, if officials were good we wouldn't need it as the arguments for bringing it in tended to be to stop obvious errors.

Back