• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

But we knew that would happen. PL refs gave the Sissoko incident as a specific example when they were ‘previewing’ the introduction of VAR :

The handballs seen in the Champions League, particularly the Tottenham – Emirates Marketing Project game (Danny Rose), the PSG – Manchester United game (Presnel Kimpembe), and Tottenham – Liverpool game (Moussa Sissoko) would not be deemed by the PL VAR as handball. The PL uses a different interpretation of the handball rule to UEFA.

The rule to be introduced in the Premier League states that a player should not be penalised if they are believed to be using their arms for balance or in this case, where the player is gesticulating to team-mates to cover a rival player.

As Mike Riley, General Manager of PGMOL, said at the time of the Sissoko handball: "That’s not a deliberate act of extending the arm away from the body. You also see the ball deflects off the chest on to the arm, and if you put everything together and apply the philosophy we do here, we wouldn’t say that was handball."

I’m not saying VVD’s wasn’t handball (I’ve not seen a live replay of the incident, only the still above), but PGMOL already said Sissoko’s wouldn’t have been handball under PL implementation, so there’s no point comparing the two.
It is still bloody annoying though.

For me, VAR was meant to empower the on-field referee to make braver refereeing decisions, knowing there was a back up to double check and either confirm the decision, or advise the ref to take a second look.
But the focus now is dwelling on how many mm is acceptable for an offside decision (i’m not sure it matters, as long as it’s consistent, no matter how annoying it might be to be offside by a hair’s breath) whilst more controversial decisions (eg did he dive or is it a pen?) are still being bottled by refs and backed up by VAR.
There's a lot of work to do to get it right. First off the PL refs need to stop being worried about slowing down the game (it’s happening anyway), take back control, and use the pitch side monitors.
Secondly there needs to be more transparency in the ground. Show all the decisions. If it’s too controversial to show on the screen, then it’s probably not a clear cut error anyway.
VAR is here to stay. No point moaning that it’s ruining the game. Better to moan and campaign to make it better.
What? Slow down the game even more? Are you trying to turn us off the game altogether?

The VAR should be allowed a maximum of say 60 seconds to come to a decision, failing that the referee's initial decision should stand.

What? Slow down the game even more? Are you trying to turn us off the game altogether?

The VAR should be allowed a maximum of say 60 seconds to come to a decision, failing that the referee's initial decision should stand.

I wouldn’t have any issue with a time limited process either, as long as it is clear that the VAR can over rule the ref - assuming the ref has the guts not to just defer the decision making to the VAR in the first place - just get rid of the pitchside screens which aren’t being used anyway. Or assign all key moments to VAR from the outset. Right now it’s as clear as mud (apart from offside) who is supposed to be making the final call.
I’m slightly optimistic that some of this season’s teething problems can be ironed out, as long as the PGMOL are willing to listen to their paymasters stakeholders.

But we knew that would happen. PL refs gave the Sissoko incident as a specific example when they were ‘previewing’ the introduction of VAR :

The handballs seen in the Champions League, particularly the Tottenham – Emirates Marketing Project game (Danny Rose), the PSG – Manchester United game (Presnel Kimpembe), and Tottenham – Liverpool game (Moussa Sissoko) would not be deemed by the PL VAR as handball. The PL uses a different interpretation of the handball rule to UEFA.

The rule to be introduced in the Premier League states that a player should not be penalised if they are believed to be using their arms for balance or in this case, where the player is gesticulating to team-mates to cover a rival player.

As Mike Riley, General Manager of PGMOL, said at the time of the Sissoko handball: "That’s not a deliberate act of extending the arm away from the body. You also see the ball deflects off the chest on to the arm, and if you put everything together and apply the philosophy we do here, we wouldn’t say that was handball."

I’m not saying VVD’s wasn’t handball (I’ve not seen a live replay of the incident, only the still above), but PGMOL already said Sissoko’s wouldn’t have been handball under PL implementation, so there’s no point comparing the two.

The Sissoko case was handball by a defender though. Didn't they also make a point of saying that any handball by an attacking player, irrespective of whether accidental or not, in the lead-up to a goal would mean the goal is chalked off? Personally, I think it absurd to make that distinction, and that you should just have a clear rule applied across the board, because otherwise it offers defenders the possibility of doing what Mane did to Sissoko, but that's the way they said it would be implemented, didn't they?

That just adds to the farce though, the fact handball is being interpreted differently by different competitions.

Another marginal call in the Villa game.

It does make you wonder, how many goals in previous seasons where we all said "ah he's level" were technically offside.

Another marginal call in the Villa game.

It does make you wonder, how many goals in previous seasons where we all said "ah he's level" were technically offside.

Nope, I always knew, it’s cost us about 15 points a season.

Before VAR, a Spurs player could be offside in his own half.

Back