• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The 3 behind the striker

diego_maradona

Steffen Iversen
Staff member
A big onus on these guys to weigh in with the goals. Are they doing enough so far?

In the league:

Chadli:
4 Goals
1 assist

Eriksen:
1 Goal
1 Assist

Lamela:
0 Goals
3 Assists

They've contributed 5 out of the 8 goals we've scored so far, and I think in terms of the ratio of how many they should get out of our total goals it's good. But clearly Lamela and Eriksen need to start chipping in.

Are we all happy with the 3 behind the front man? Or do we prefer a different system/personnel?

It's a very good start tbh, but I'm more concerned with the lack of real options outside of those three. If any one of them gets an injury our system will have to change.

Chadli has come on leaps and bounds under Pochettino so far, Eriksen needs to up his involvement i feel and Lamela just needs to catch a break in front of goal

A big onus on these guys to weigh in with the goals. Are they doing enough so far?

In the league:

Chadli:
4 Goals
1 assist

Eriksen:
1 Goal
1 Assist

Lamela:
0 Goals
3 Assists

They've contributed 5 out of the 8 goals we've scored so far, and I think in terms of the ratio of how many they should get out of our total goals it's good. But clearly Lamela and Eriksen need to start chipping in.

Are we all happy with the 3 behind the front man? Or do we prefer a different system/personnel?

Well, since Chadli has an eye for goal, is a lump and can head it, let him lead the line at number 9. Ade and Eriksen aren't scoring or creating and their pressing isn't brilliant. So drop them for players that can at least run around and press like mental people. Keep Mason involved and it goes sorta 433:

----------------lloris
naughton---kaboul---vertonghen---rose
----stambouli---capoue---mason
-----lamela------chadli------dembele

I know, I know -- not enough goals in there. But our attackers don't score enough anyway, so how will we notice? :lol:

Away to City, that team might be worth a go...

It's a very good start tbh, but I'm more concerned with the lack of real options outside of those three. If any one of them gets an injury our system will have to change.

Kane is the only other real option there as far I'm concerned

Well, since Chadli has an eye for goal, is a lump and can head it, let him lead the line at number 9. Ade and Eriksen aren't scoring or creating and their pressing isn't brilliant. So drop them for players that can at least run around and press like mental people. Keep Mason involved and it goes sorta 433:

----------------lloris
naughton---kaboul---vertonghen---rose
----stambouli---capoue---mason
-----lamela------chadli------dembele

I know, I know -- not enough goals in there. But our attackers don't score enough anyway, so how will we notice? :lol:

Away to City, that team might be worth a go...

Dembele middle in place of Mason and Erikksen on the left instead of Dembele and thats worth a shout. Ade no no no

I think the 3 work well. I like their versatility and how they interchange. It's a good combo of guile, pace and strength.

I agree with Modric THFC that Kane is a useful 4th player to throw into the mix.

I'd like to see the trio behind Soldado for a bit, see if a player with more intelligent movement can connect better to their wavelength.

didn't Algeria use Bentaleb further forward also? could be an option...

Didn't Sherwood play Bentaleb on the left of the 3 behind the striker away at Saudi Sportswashing Machine last season? (We won 0-4). IIRC, Ade played central, lennon right and bentaleb left in that game, with dembele, capoue and paulinho as the other midfielders. Bentaleb got an assist via a cross to Adebayor.

Their overall play can improve, but keep in mind that IF they keep this up then Chadli will score more than Bale did in his peak season and Lamela will have more assists than any Spurs player in the Premier League era.

Didn't Sherwood play Bentaleb on the left of the 3 behind the striker away at Saudi Sportswashing Machine last season? (We won 0-4). IIRC, Ade played central, lennon right and bentaleb left in that game, with dembele, capoue and paulinho as the other midfielders. Bentaleb got an assist via a cross to Adebayor.

I'm pretty sure it was

---------Capoue ----- Bentaleb----------
Dembele-------Paulinho----------Lennon
----------------Adebayor-----------------

I'm pretty sure it was

---------Capoue ----- Bentaleb----------
Dembele-------Paulinho----------Lennon
----------------Adebayor-----------------

Yes, I think you are right...we went with a similar (the same?) lineup v Norwich next and it went badly (I remember Dembele on the right in that game).

yeah, probably our best performance last season as well.

Dembele was on the right and played well too iirc

ironically the key to unlocking the potential that these three have is our striker up front. if the four of them can attack as a unit we're in business. not sure what poch sees in ade - he does not play well with anybody.

From reading articles written about Poch last season, he likes his #9 to be strong enough to win the ball in the air if the team can't pass it out from the back. Something along the lines of "the team builds from the back and should always have one more man available to pass to than the opposition have markers. If the opposition have gone 1 for 1 marking then that means the long ball to the striker is a great option". The use of Ade therefore makes sense, especially when we have high possession against teams that sit back and defend deep.

Seen in the news today that we are looking at Alcacer of Valencia, a striker who is available for £15 million. Personally I don't believe it as the bloke is no bigger than Soldado.

Some suggesting Chadli up front, it's not as simple as that just because he's physically strong and has an eye for goal. Playing with your back to goal for most of the game is completely different to being an attacking midfielder who can ghost into the box, as you're not being tracked by a big centre back all game when in the area. Might not be anywhere near as effective up front...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Back