• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam - looking for advice

Lugash

Rohan Ricketts
Hi all

I'm looking to go to Thailand with a friend (or around there) for two weeks in November, but struggling to nail down any rough plan.

In terms of what we like: relaxed, food/coffee/cafe culture and 'cultural' things to see/do. We like nature and a little bit of history and architecture. Generally, just strolling around in a not too busy area. Ubud in Bali got it spot on (whereas we weren't keen on Seminyak). Not into partying - but an evening in a nice restaurant with live music is great.

We're thinking Bangkok is a must (even though it'll probably be too hectic) and Chiang Mai looks up our street. From there, not too sure - we're not really into beaches/beach holidays, but seeing one of Thailand's amazing looking beaches looks a must do. Perhaps Siem Reap for a bit?

Thanks!

When you go back with the fluffy bunnies cuddlings check for scars down there.

We went Thailand 2 years ago. Biggest memory is of the shoddy health and safety side to it all. Went on a speed boat trip I am amazed I came out of alive.

Hi all

I'm looking to go to Thailand with a friend (or around there) for two weeks in November, but struggling to nail down any rough plan.

In terms of what we like: relaxed, food/coffee/cafe culture and 'cultural' things to see/do. We like nature and a little bit of history and architecture. Generally, just strolling around in a not too busy area. Ubud in Bali got it spot on (whereas we weren't keen on Seminyak). Not into partying - but an evening in a nice restaurant with live music is great.

We're thinking Bangkok is a must (even though it'll probably be too hectic) and Chiang Mai looks up our street. From there, not too sure - we're not really into beaches/beach holidays, but seeing one of Thailand's amazing looking beaches looks a must do. Perhaps Siem Reap for a bit?

Thanks!
I'm usually in Thailand about twice every year since 2011, as my wife is Thai. I highly recommend Chiang Mai! From there you have a lot of options. Chiang Rai is not far away, and Wat Rong Khun there is a must visit!
Also, not far from Chiang Mai you have Thailands highest montain, Doi Intanon. You can drive (almost) all the way to the top, and the hot springs in Fang right next to it. Lovely area!
You should definitely spend some days in Bangkok and enjoy the madness of daytime, and the relaxed luxury at a rooftop restaurant/bar in the night time. As far as rooftop bars, there are many,
but I would recommend you to Above 11 in Sukhumwit Soi 11 or Long Table in Sukhumwit soi 16. (you'll should book a hotel in the Sukhumwit area, close to the BTS stytrain. Asok and Chit Lom in good, Nana is the "adult entertainment" area). The iconic Lebua State tower (from the Hangover movie) could also be worth a visit, just to have been there, but it's extremely expensive.

Stay away from places like Pattaya and Phuket.

Last edited:
In Bangkok try not to use taxis during rush hour - you'll crawl through traffic and pollution. Instead use the canal boats like the locals do. Big speed boats that fly around the canals - cool, fast, cheap. Or take a sky train - a modern air conditioned metro.

To relax, find a nice island or sea side location and chill. Doesn't matter too much where, there are many idilic white sand turquoise spots. But you won't be alone, Thailand has too many tourists. Not that it matters always lots of people to meet.

I'm usually in Thailand about twice every year since 2011, as my wife is Thai. I highly recommend Chiang Mai! From there you have a lot of options. Chiang Rai is not far away, and Wat Rong Khun there is a must visit!
Also, not far from Chiang Mai you have Thailands highest montain, Doi Intanon. You can drive (almost) all the way to the top, and the hot springs in Fang right next to it. Lovely area!
You should definitely spend some days in Bangkok and enjoy the madness of daytime, and the relaxed luxury at a rooftop restaurant/bar in the night time. As far as rooftop bars, there are many,
but I would recommend you to Above 11 in Sukhumwit Soi 11 or Long Table in Sukhumwit soi 16. (you'll should book a hotel in the Sukhumwit area, close to the BTS stytrain. Asok and Chit Lom in good, Nana is the "adult entertainment" area). The iconic Lebua State tower (from the Hangover movie) could also be worth a visit, just to have been there, but it's extremely expensive.

Stay away from places like Pattaya and Phuket.

Cheers, mate!

Chiang Rai does sound pretty cool. Never heard of Doi Intanon - will definitely take a look.

Pattaya and Phuket do sound dreadful.

Thanks again

Chiang Mai is great, we really liked - was probably our favourite place we visited in Thailand. In Bangkok we also stayed in Sukhumvit on soi 15, was a good place to explore from close to the tube/bts, there were some decent bars nearby too around soi 11. We weren't hugely keen on Phuket either, although there are some really nice beaches, preferred it when we stayed in Krabi - Railay is really nice & chilled out.

We went to Vietnam last year, stopped in HCM City, Hoi an, Hanoi and then Ha long bay - which is coincidentally pretty much exactly the route they take in the top gear Vietnam special. Going to the cu chi tunnels from HCM is definitely really interesting. Hoi an was our favourite place in Vietnam, and we really enjoyed doing an overnight boat trip in ha long bay.

In general really enjoyed both Thailand & Vietnam, am sure whatever itinerary you choose will be great!

Thailand: vote for Ko Lanta, Khao Sok national park, and the (very chilled, 20 years ago at least) beaches at the top of Ko Pha Ngan. Vote against Bangkok except for transit, and Ko Samui, which is revolting.

Vietnam: another vote for the Mekong Delta, including the Cu Chi tunnels, and for the two big cities. Vote against Nha Trang.

Never had a holiday in Cambodia. It's tough, kid, but it's life.

Bangkok is a must but make sure you have a plan of what you want to see or do there as it's very easy to get swept up in it all - it's huge/chaotic but that's part of it's charm for me. Can get good value for high end hotels too, worth shopping around.

Mostly when I've been to Thailand it's straight to the islands/beaches and i think it would be a real shame if you went there and missed out on sampling this side of the country - i would recommend Koh Lanta above all else, base yourself somewhere on the west coast, Khlong Khlong beach or south of that - very chilled/relaxed island, fantastic food and a good location for excursions to neighbouring islands/sights.

Haven't been to Chang Mai myself but does sound like the type of place that'd suit your plans.

My info is 10 years old so may have changed went Laos/ Cambodia / Vietnam.

Laos very veryfriendly, apparently Thailand-20 years with regards to tourism (never been to Thailand), four thousand Islands was a good getaway Vang Vieng was cool but had the potential to get very Hippy tourist.

Cambodia, I didn't go to Angkor Wat as my wife had been but this is meant to be the highlight. found the place a lot less friendly than the others in the region, dirty and seedy - Phomm Penh particularly offered drugs on every corner and saw a fair few Middle age westerners with suspiciously looking underage girls. There is history there (killing fields / S-21), worthwhile but not enjoyable.

Vietnam, I really enjoyed - Sapa - Fansipan & Than Hoa are off the beat and track but worth taking a look at, I had 6 weeks in Vietnam so could take my time but in a shorter time period I would concentrate on the Northern part as it felt "more foreign". Ho Chi Min city does have the war museum and tunnels which again are worthwhile.

Back