• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tanguy Ndombele

he is a creative player in a CM role so a number 8 in the old systems... not a 10 like Eriksen

when I followed him in France he was an outstanding line break player because of his dribbling (you couldn’t get them ball off him)

moved here he has shown exceptional passing too

he isn’t a mad running harasser like a Kante

Poch liked to have a midfielder who could break between lines. He used Sissoko as that last season but it's been a weakness in the squad since Dombele's legs went. I agree that N'Dombele was signed to fill that gap.

Like Poch and The French coach, I think JM prefers Sissoko over NDomele at this stage of his development. If he gets up to speed, I can see NDomele partnering Dier ( or AN Other) in the future, but I have the feeling JM doesn't trust him there yet.

Like Poch and The French coach, I think JM prefers Sissoko over NDomele at this stage of his development. If he gets up to speed, I can see NDomele partnering Dier ( or AN Other) in the future, but I have the feeling JM doesn't trust him there yet.

I do not see the comparison as they are two completely different types of players

Poch liked to have a midfielder who could break between lines. He used Sissoko as that last season but it's been a weakness in the squad since Dombele's legs went. I agree that N'Dombele was signed to fill that gap.

Ndombele has had fitness issues but it is premature to suggest his legs have gone. Also, Ndombele is arguably the best passing central midfielder we have while Sissoko is a poor passer of the ball

Last edited:

In 3 games Mourinho is yet to start Sissoko in CM, ahead of Ndombele or otherwise - it looks as though it's Ndombele v Winks for a starting position with Sissoko v Moura for wide right in the 3 behind Kane.

Last edited:
I have full faith that N'Domble will be a top, top player. At his best, he glides past opponents so effortlessly, and his forward passing is often accurate and defense splitting. He still needs work on the defensive part of his game and his positioning, and obviously still has a way to go with adjusting to the PL, but I'm confident he'll come good.

I think next season will be his big breakthrough for us.

Ndombele has had fitness but it is premature to suggest his legs have gone. Also, Ndombele is arguably the best passing central midfielder we have while Sissoko is a poor passer of the ball

I didn't suggest N'Dombele's legs have gone. I said that he was signed to fill a gap that we've had since Dombele's legs went.

I agree that he is a very good direct passer. I wonder whether he is too much a risk taker to play as the deepest placed midfielder under Mourinho though. I'd be interested in seeing him in the position that Sissoko/Moura have played so far under Mourinho.

I didn't suggest N'Dombele's legs have gone. I said that he was signed to fill a gap that we've had since Dombele's legs went.

I agree that he is a very good direct passer. I wonder whether he is too much a risk taker to play as the deepest placed midfielder under Mourinho though. I'd be interested in seeing him in the position that Sissoko/Moura have played so far under Mourinho.
Good point. He's a risk taker by nature I think, with Pochettino those mistakes would be accepted and he would be praised for being brave. With Mourinho it might be a bit different.

One of the developments we've seen from Alli imo is that he now mostly keeps things simple deeper and uses his higher risk trickery when there's a real chance to cause damage to the opposition. We might see a similar development from Ndombele.

I think the central role suits him, but he might have to adjust a bit. I think part of that is also just adjusting to the league. Coming up against better players, better pressing, more frequently what he perhaps could get away with in France will be more dangerous in the PL.

For now with the options we have I think this is a relatively small issue. We've seen both Winks and Sissoko come close to gifting the opponents a goal with sloppy passes/decisions. Dier gives the ball away way more than he did at his best. We quite simply don't have a player deep in midfield who finds that balance between creativity/risk and safe easy passes well enough. So by comparison Ndombele doesn't look out of place at all in that regard.

Not tracking back when in position to do so against a counter attack on the other hand. That needs sorting if he wants to be a clear first choice.

Good point. He's a risk taker by nature I think, with Pochettino those mistakes would be accepted and he would be praised for being brave. With Mourinho it might be a bit different.

One of the developments we've seen from Alli imo is that he now mostly keeps things simple deeper and uses his higher risk trickery when there's a real chance to cause damage to the opposition. We might see a similar development from Ndombele.

I think the central role suits him, but he might have to adjust a bit. I think part of that is also just adjusting to the league. Coming up against better players, better pressing, more frequently what he perhaps could get away with in France will be more dangerous in the PL.

For now with the options we have I think this is a relatively small issue. We've seen both Winks and Sissoko come close to gifting the opponents a goal with sloppy passes/decisions. Dier gives the ball away way more than he did at his best. We quite simply don't have a player deep in midfield who finds that balance between creativity/risk and safe easy passes well enough. So by comparison Ndombele doesn't look out of place at all in that regard.

Not tracking back when in position to do so against a counter attack on the other hand. That needs sorting if he wants to be a clear first choice.

Lo Celso has played as a ball playing defensive midfielder before and by all accounts, was pretty decent at it. It would be a big change from how we have seen him used so far but might be an option.

Lo Celso has played as a ball playing defensive midfielder before and by all accounts, was pretty decent at it. It would be a big change from how we have seen him used so far but might be an option.
Yes, very good point again. I was talking about the players that have featured there so far (exuding Eriksen for Eriksen reasons).

Would be very interesting to see Lo Celso there. I think he has a lot of the right attributes.

Yes, very good point again. I was talking about the players that have featured there so far (exuding Eriksen for Eriksen reasons).

Would be very interesting to see Lo Celso there. I think he has a lot of the right attributes.

I wonder whether Lo Celso in the Winks role and N'Dombele for Dier would be an option. N'Dombele would need to significantly improve his fitness to play the disruptor role but his pacy, direct balls could be very dangerous from higher up the pitch if he turned over possession.

Not sure where we'll end up with Mourinho but i think we have the players to go 433.

Think Ndombele and Lo Celso would work well in the deeper 3 if they had a more defense minded player alongside them, Wanyama in his prime would suit that role imv

I wonder whether Lo Celso in the Winks role and N'Dombele for Dier would be an option. N'Dombele would need to significantly improve his fitness to play the disruptor role but his pacy, direct balls could be very dangerous from higher up the pitch if he turned over possession.
At the moment it would make for a lot of high scoring games and a lot of disappointment. If Ndombele can develop the defensive side of his game to that point I think it would be great, though I'm not expecting that to happen or Mourinho to try to make it happen.
Not sure where we'll end up with Mourinho but i think we have the players to go 433.

Think Ndombele and Lo Celso would work well in the deeper 3 if they had a more defense minded player alongside them, Wanyama in his prime would suit that role imv
I agree, and I actually think Alli could be great in the most attacking of those two box to box roles. Though I'm sure others will disagree.

For now the 4-2-3-1 seems like a pretty obvious choice.

That's the thing though, in this lopsided 343 we could get away with playing the pair in a two.

Back