• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"Talking 4th/Get Real"

i dont expect 4th......but what i want is to see is a Spurs team that has bottle, a team that plays like it has trained together, a team that is defensively strong but more importantly passes and moves quickly and incisively. I want to see us play attacking football, score lots of goals, and entertain the fans

this...

Ok let's say that March is a nightmare and we were to miss out on the Europa League next season. . Would we care, or would we do better in the real league, without the distraction? Maybe even have a decent FA cup run. The fact is that the only time we got into the CL, it was after a season without the Europa League....

I think we might know a little better after the FA cup draw at 4pm with regards to EL next season.

I cant see us falling back down to 8th which def wont see us in the EL, but there is a possibity we could finish 7th, (Everton 5 behind 2 games in hand now, and like nearly everyone else, a better GD than us) and like I have suggested if City play Arsenal in the final 7th place is EL football, and starting on the 31st July!

Arsenal v City/Wigan in the semis and 7th place is no European football, but the 6th place team will start in the EL in the
3rd qual round instead #-o

I think we might know a little better after the FA cup draw at 4pm with regards to EL next season.

I cant see us falling back down to 8th which def wont see us in the EL, but there is a possibity we could finish 7th, (Everton 5 behind 2 games in hand now, and like nearly everyone else, a better GD than us) and like I have suggested if City play Arsenal in the final 7th place is EL football, and starting on the 31st July!

Arsenal v City/Wigan in the semis and 7th place is no European football, but the 6th place team will start in the EL in the
3rd qual round instead #-o

6th place will start in the 3rd Qualifying Round of the EL if the FA Cup winners finish 7th or lower in the league. If the FA Cup winners qualify for the CL then the losing finalists get an EL place but they have to start in the 3rd Qualifying Round. In that case, 5th and 6th places in the league would start in the group stage and play-off respectively.

6th place will start in the 3rd Qualifying Round of the EL if the FA Cup winners finish 7th or lower in the league. If the FA Cup winners qualify for the CL then the losing finalists get an EL place but they have to start in the 3rd Qualifying Round. In that case, 5th and 6th places in the league would start in the group stage and play-off respectively and Bassong would still be suspended.

Fixed it for you.

This may be controversial but I do still believe the Europa League hinders our league form. I don't think it's a coincidence that the two seasons we finished 4th we had either no European football to deal with or we got knocked out in the group stage. And the annoying thing is we have never even got past the 1/4 finals so it's hardly been worth it.

We've had the 4th/5th best squad in the league for the past 4 years so top 4 is always a possibility but should NEVER be expected. Don't see how a club that has a negative net spend almost every year should be expected to finish in the top 4, I said the same thing at the start of this season and last season any case anyone wants to check.

£100 plus million on new players to add to a strong core. Fourth really should be the expectation.

We're just unlucky Liverpool have found a flash in the pan season's form. It's always the way

I think I can argue the point for the quality of our signings. Soldado was one of the best strikers in Spain, a lethal finisher and someone who 99% of us in here were happy to see arriving at the club. He cost anywhere between £15m - £26m depending on which source you believe & the add-ons etc

Lamela was one of the highest rated youngsters in World football before he joined us. He was likened by many, including myself, to be an ideal replacement for Bale. No one was suggesting that he was an identical like for like player but instead were praising his ability.

Paulinho had just won the best played Award at the Confederations Cup. He was targeted by Real Madrid and yet we managed to sign him which was recognised as being a significant coup by many.

Now each of those three are being regarded as average signings. Yes, for differing reasons it hasn't worked out for those players, but I'd hardly say that they were regarded as average players when we signed them. Now once again the history books are being rewritten.

Every player we have signed was arguably the best player in their position in their respective league (or near as) and all were coveted by plenty of oth and arguably bigger sides

Likewise IMO other than additional left back cover we added in the right positions to improve the squad.

The only one who I can't see improving next season is. Chadli who offers nothing IMO

These players will IMO benefit the manager next season after a state of some stability and the benefit of most not playing in the World Cup

In fact most of our squad won't be there which is not going to be the case for the sides above us

We have an opportunity next season if we can make sure we have a manager we will back off the pitch as well as on it to step up a bit. We may as well write this one off and have a go at some glory in the Europa

£100 plus million on new players to add to a strong core. Fourth really should be the expectation.

We're just unlucky Liverpool have found a flash in the pan season's form. It's always the way

I don't think their form is flash in the pan. They just appointed the right manager and stuck by him through a transitional season and are now reaping the benefits.

Funny enough none of our 7 new signings started against Chelscum. Whether it a coincidence or not I dun really care. However, I firmly believe that such scenario could only occurred in Spurs.

CL football is something we should not expect... we have only been in the "promised land" twice in our history!

the UEFA CUp has always been our level... some of the greatest nights in our history have been in this competition!

I say, Long live the Europa League, League Cup and FA cup!

these our competitions glory glory nights are made for!

lets figure out how to get these players playing again and have some fun and see where it takes us!

I am more disheartend by how we play rather than the occasional bad defeat. Each time I have been to the lane since harry left I have been bored and frustrated!

Lets be Tottenham Hotspur again!

This may be controversial but I do still believe the Europa League hinders our league form. I don't think it's a coincidence that the two seasons we finished 4th we had either no European football to deal with or we got knocked out in the group stage. And the annoying thing is we have never even got past the 1/4 finals so it's hardly been worth it.

Absolutely. Just see how Liverpool are performing this season. I think we should start using the kids or the people that doesn't get much game time more consistently in the Euro League, especially during the group stages. Could get them more fit/ready for "real" action, and they'd get valuable experience. I'd say - no senior starter should at least have to travel to the backyards of Europe on a Thursday. Absolutely pointless, especially during the group stages. Getting Champions League football is far more important for Tottenham than reaching the quarter finals of the EL every year.

We had same argument end of 2011 season. We pipped Liverpool to 5th then finished miles ahead of em in the league the following season. It's got nothing to do with playing europa. All down to us selling our best players and they don't.

The question is, how will a Liverpool side that has only been used to playing once a week for the last 2 years get by with suddenly having to play twice a week? I remember last year AVB mentionned something about the physical conditioning needed to be able to play twice a week and that if the players wanted CL football then they needed to learn how to play twice a week in the EL first.

TS doesn't get to be right .. he accepted the job under the conditions, and the conditions/goals for the last 5+ years has been 4th. Because he's under pressure, doesn't allow him the right to question the target.

Re the club, it has to be our goal, the question is, do we fire managers (not speaking about TS) who are generally doing a good job, playing attractive football and improving results/points if they happen to miss out on 4th by a small margin?

I don't think their form is flash in the pan. They just appointed the right manager and stuck by him through a transitional season and are now reaping the benefits.

I think this is the nail on head point. The player on paper are good enough to challenge for those top four spots for me, just that the team has been performing at less than the sum of it's parts.

The problem we seem to have is finding a manger that is the right fit, and can get an attacking system in place. We need a system for a decent number of years, we've not had one for any length of time and it just screws us over in the long term.

From what I've seen of Sherwood, I'm not confident he's the guy to take us forward in regards to this.

I think this is the nail on head point. The player on paper are good enough to challenge for those top four spots for me, just that the team has been performing at less than the sum of it's parts.

The problem we seem to have is finding a manger that is the right fit, and can get an attacking system in place. We need a system for a decent number of years, we've not had one for any length of time and it just screws us over in the long term.

From what I've seen of Sherwood, I'm not confident he's the guy to take us forward in regards to this.
In my opinion we are not good enough for 4th at the moment value wise. Or at least what i have seen from the players this season. We were rubbish for most of the season in the league(in comparison with top4). We got slaughtered by everyone in the top4, that is the best indicator for me. I think what we deserve is probably 6th, Everton looks to have had a better overall season to me. But it is the points that matter and we look like 5th at this point. I hate to be negative but on recent form it looks more likely we drop position/s than to climb them. Except for Chiriches and Eriksen I think all of the new signings have disappointed, i think we have done well to be in 5th right now.

In my opinion we are not good enough for 4th at the moment value wise. Or at least what i have seen from the players this season. We were rubbish for most of the season in the league(in comparison with top4). We got slaughtered by everyone in the top4, that is the best indicator for me. I think what we deserve is probably 6th, Everton looks to have had a better overall season to me. But it is the points that matter and we look like 5th at this point. I hate to be negative but on recent form it looks more likely we drop position/s than to climb them. Except for Chiriches and Eriksen I think all of the new signings have disappointed, i think we have done well to be in 5th right now.[/QUOTE]

Quite frankly, I bloody amazed we are still in 5th right now

The problem with Europa is not the number of games IMO it's the ****ty locations and travelling you do

You basically get the champions of leagues that aren't string enough to qualify for the champions league proper which is mainly the old eastern block and Scandinavia (partly due to their season not running as Ours do, and them not being good enough frankly). We have had loads of long journeys on Friday mornings to deal with whereas **** for instance have been to:
Munich 2 hours
Dortmund 2 hours
Naples 2 hours
Marseille 1 1/2 hours or the train....
Fernebache - 4 hours

We have done almost more than that with 2 group games to Tiblisi (5 to 6 hours) and sheriff (4 to 5 hours)

Look at who we have had to travel too and I guarantee we have done twice as much as any British side in the champions league and will have more if we go further as you okay and extra 2 games to win it... And only win the same amount of money as you would for 2 wins in the champions league

I'd love us to win it, I really would but it's so poorly supported and structured as a competition it's comical now

How many sporting competitions in the world have the drop outs of the senior comp once the competition actually gets competitive??? I can't think of any

Go on a winning run now and we'll get fourth

Liverpool's form will run dry and Arsenal's players are dropping like flies

eruropa = back door entry to CL next year, so I'll weigh my chances against who's there, what's their stake in it, so making calculated decsions before committing.

Back