• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Must be jealous seeing Nasri and Clichy both disappear and then win the league a year later

Right, we have offered Remy to come and see us on Tuesday as it was reported over the weekend. But Marseille have changed their mind and dont want Remy to go to London tomorrow. They want to go ahead with the deal before he comes and sees us.

"Injured Sunday night against Auxerre, Loic Remy will not go this week to London to visit the facilities of Tottenham, as it had been proposed by the leaders of Spurs. According to L'Equipe, the trip on Tuesday in England has been canceled, Vincent Labrune refused that to happen. Not that the president is totally opposed to a departure of the OM striker, but he wished first to agree with his counterpart at Tottenham on the conditions of a possible transfer during the summer transfer window. The Spurs have been interested for quite some time by Loic Remy, to the point that last winter a departure of the latter had been discussed, but the OM had opposed it, considering that there was still a real sporting interest to keep the attacker. This time, given the financial situation of Marseilles, things could change significantly."

That should be ok, presumeably we want the deal to go ahead anyway and have been scouting him for at leasr a year maybe more.

RVP - if he does leave will go to bricky or go abroad.

But who can he go to abroad?

I could see him at Manure but I doubt that he would go there.

Barca maybe? Don't think Madrid need him. Actually I agree that he'd fit in well at Utd but would he go there? Stranger things have happened I suppose.

As I feel we'd want to step in the right direction, I think these may have an impact, not Parker-like impact from a Championship club, but someone who will come in, not on the highest of wages and keep our structure, playing style and overall shape:

Lee Chung-Young from Bolton. (Backup for Lennon, nice little merchandise sell in South Korea.)
Olsson from Blackburn. (Backup for Ekotto.)
N'Zonzi from Blackburn. (Backup for the middle, might be a bit overcrowded but who'd you rather come on, N'Zonzi or Livermore?)
Hoilett from Blackburn. (Backup for Bale and Lennon.)
Jarvis from Wolves. (We could do alot worse :lol:)

so he's as solid as vincent kompany is then ? or at least comparatively solid?
As I've written before he is a strong and solid defender, very composed.

on a scale of 1 to 10..., 8 or 9 being players like kompany and terry and vidic, what is his positioning like for corsses? i.e his ability to be a magnet for crosses into our box? and his ability to compete for headers
He is 6.3 tall or 192 cm if you like, very athletic and commonly regarded as a strong aerial presence. Grading a players ability with numbers is a bit weird to me, but his positioning is as good as the three you mentioned. I actually think both Samba and Kaboul are stronger than the three you mentioned in being magnets for crosses however.

same as above, but where 8 or 9 is players like king / gallas / rio, what's his stand stand up game like? facing guys one on one? and his reading of the game and anticipation and pressing of opposition
Now we are talking about what he is best at, he is a master of reading play, he is very intelligent and he intercepts alot of passes. Facing quick players one on one his allready mentioned positional ability is often what saves him from being beat. When I in one post mentioned that a weakness would be that he is too offensive that means that he will join the attack, and if our backs are going as well we need our holding defender to actually hold or we'll be destroyed on counters. But that's up to Harry to handle if he's in charge.

same again, where 8 or 9 is king / kaboul / campbell in prime, how quick is he? and how athletic is he?
He is not lightening quick, nor slow. King at his prime was the fastest central defender in the league, and he is not that fast, but he is very athletic and agile, and while I can't claim to know his 1-10 or 1-30 sprint results he is quick to move in the first meters. He might not have the top speed that King had, but decent enough. But as he is able to read the game brilliantly I don't think he'll need to be.

..but anyway last question, how did you think he played against united? has he played like that before? on a regular? or was it a one off?
I did not watch those two games, so I can not say.

A couple of good reasons to sign him:

1. Prevent him from pairing up what will be the best central defense in the league with Vermaelen at Arsenal. They are both young, talented, former teammates, good friends and will most likely make up a fantastic pairing I do not want to see happen.
2. He can play central defense, left back, defensive midfield and do an excellent job in all positions. Sandro injured and Parker out of form? Problem solved. Don't want Rose to get sent off at crucial moments of the season? Problem solved (yes harsh I know, but ffs that angered me).
3. He is experienced even at a young age having played more or less regularly for Ajax since he was 19.
4. Martin Jol brought him into the Ajax first lineup. This is significant because I am sure Jol has allready told him which club in London is the best choice. =D>
5. He is still available for a reasonable amount of money. We all know Levy loves a reasonable amount of money.
6. Club captain. I don't know why, but I generally think signing club captains is a great idea, they are often natural leaders and winners.

NZonzi is a very good shout....that lad has a bright future. I like it.

actually, i agree also with Olsson and Hoilett too, even though i still am not sure about having a player with a name sounding like toilet

Would like to see Caulker get a good go next season. Future Spurs captain

We could really do with getting some of the dead wood out sharpish (Gomes, Jenas, Bentley, Dos Santos, Corluka, Saha etc)

As I feel we'd want to step in the right direction, I think these may have an impact, not Parker-like impact from a Championship club, but someone who will come in, not on the highest of wages and keep our structure, playing style and overall shape:

Lee Chung-Young from Bolton. (Backup for Lennon, nice little merchandise sell in South Korea.)
Olsson from Blackburn. (Backup for Ekotto.)
N'Zonzi from Blackburn. (Backup for the middle, might be a bit overcrowded but who'd you rather come on, N'Zonzi or Livermore?)
Hoilett from Blackburn. (Backup for Bale and Lennon.)
Jarvis from Wolves. (We could do alot worse :lol:)

I would forget Lee Chung young and Jarvis and only give the 3 from Blackburn a closer look. Im sure n`zonzi can turn into a great player. Hoilett has impressed me everytime i have seen him and i also like olssons style of play.

Barca maybe? Don't think Madrid need him. Actually I agree that he'd fit in well at Utd but would he go there? Stranger things have happened I suppose.

He would be a big upgrade for Madrid I think. Theoretically they could sell Benzema or Higuain and bring in Van Persie without being significantly down on the deal financially. In fact it wouldn't surprise me to see Real offering Benzema to Arsenal in a straight swap.

I think Barca are crying out for a proper centre forward. It seems as though teams are just starting to work out a way to play against Barca's system where they don't really have an out and out attacker and Van Persie would undoubtedly add something.

Emirates Marketing Project will be interested not because they actually need him but more because they are interested in any good footballer and seem to like collecting them like Panini stickers. They would be able to rotate Van Persie and Aguero - keeping them both fresh and with both getting enough games across all competitions.

Man Utd as well I think would love to have Van Persie up top. Imagine him with Rooney playing behind. The big Italian clubs would probably also all want Van Persie. The question is whether or not he'd want to go to that league.

I think Barca are crying out for a proper centre forward. It seems as though teams are just starting to work out a way to play against Barca's system where they don't really have an out and out attacker and Van Persie would undoubtedly add something.

They have Villa though who presumably will be back next season

They have Villa though who presumably will be back next season

but Messi has a big problem with Villa, no love lost there. Before his injury there were big rumours that Barca were willing to listen to offers for Villa

so he's as solid as vincent kompany is then ? or at least comparatively solid?
As I've written before he is a strong and solid defender, very composed.

on a scale of 1 to 10..., 8 or 9 being players like kompany and terry and vidic, what is his positioning like for corsses? i.e his ability to be a magnet for crosses into our box? and his ability to compete for headers
He is 6.3 tall or 192 cm if you like, very athletic and commonly regarded as a strong aerial presence. Grading a players ability with numbers is a bit weird to me, but his positioning is as good as the three you mentioned. I actually think both Samba and Kaboul are stronger than the three you mentioned in being magnets for crosses however.

same as above, but where 8 or 9 is players like king / gallas / rio, what's his stand stand up game like? facing guys one on one? and his reading of the game and anticipation and pressing of opposition
Now we are talking about what he is best at, he is a master of reading play, he is very intelligent and he intercepts alot of passes. Facing quick players one on one his allready mentioned positional ability is often what saves him from being beat. When I in one post mentioned that a weakness would be that he is too offensive that means that he will join the attack, and if our backs are going as well we need our holding defender to actually hold or we'll be destroyed on counters. But that's up to Harry to handle if he's in charge.

same again, where 8 or 9 is king / kaboul / campbell in prime, how quick is he? and how athletic is he?
He is not lightening quick, nor slow. King at his prime was the fastest central defender in the league, and he is not that fast, but he is very athletic and agile, and while I can't claim to know his 1-10 or 1-30 sprint results he is quick to move in the first meters. He might not have the top speed that King had, but decent enough. But as he is able to read the game brilliantly I don't think he'll need to be.

..but anyway last question, how did you think he played against united? has he played like that before? on a regular? or was it a one off?
I did not watch those two games, so I can not say.

A couple of good reasons to sign him:

1. Prevent him from pairing up what will be the best central defense in the league with Vermaelen at Arsenal. They are both young, talented, former teammates, good friends and will most likely make up a fantastic pairing I do not want to see happen.
2. He can play central defense, left back, defensive midfield and do an excellent job in all positions. Sandro injured and Parker out of form? Problem solved. Don't want Rose to get sent off at crucial moments of the season? Problem solved (yes harsh I know, but ffs that angered me).
3. He is experienced even at a young age having played more or less regularly for Ajax since he was 19.
4. Martin Jol brought him into the Ajax first lineup. This is significant because I am sure Jol has allready told him which club in London is the best choice. =D>
5. He is still available for a reasonable amount of money. We all know Levy loves a reasonable amount of money.
6. Club captain. I don't know why, but I generally think signing club captains is a great idea, they are often natural leaders and winners.

well little luka, i think i am sold !!! well done here..and much appreciated

i do think you have overhyped him alittle bit too much, but all that means is that at the very least he'll make a good squad player. not bad for 10 million or so

Our centre backs for next season:

Kaboul
Vertonghen
Gallas
Dawson
Caulker
King
Nelsen
Bassong
Khumalo
Uvini
Vidic
Wheater
Dunne
Mabbutt - Harry says we still lack experience

Off Twitter, can't say its true, but has obviously been mentioned very recently.

La Gazzetta reporting AC Milan have come in for Vertonghen but the offer has been rejected as he has signed elsewhere #Yido

Back