• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kaboul- Vertonghen- Rami from Valencia

Caulker and Uvini as back ups.

I think we need stability and i would get rid of anyone who may be too old, or injury prone, or shaky. I think we need this to change.

I would also get a new keeper in, Friedel has had a fantastic season, but he is 41!! what happens if he starts feeling his age a bit more early next season?

I would get a fantastic young keeper in and make Friedel number 2. And please sell Cudicini and Gomes.

No but he's foreign, same as Vertonghen. Both would need time to bed in.

I've read a couple of reports saying that he is not all that. I guess that only time will tell but it might be a bit early to be pencilling him into the first team squad for next season.

Quick round up.

Vertonghen at The lane Today according to Mumorn, JJset and more importantly Ajax.

Rumours of Remy coming on Tuesday to have a look at the club but he came off injured tonight. He is having a scan tomorrow.

There is a GHod!

(I wish him well in his recovery though)

For next season

GK Friedel
RB Walker
LB Baines
CB Dawson
CB Kaboul
RW Lennon
LW Bale
CM Parker
CM Modric
AM VDV
ST Defoe

Get used to it. It's coming.

Instead of just 'LOL'ing, why dont you explain why you disagree?

Apologies, it was my first reaction..but here are my thoughts

kaboul:- error prone, strong, athletic, quick , doesnt play well next to dawson and positionally adequate, ball watches significantly more than a top CB should

Vertonghen :- not heard much detailed synopsis on this player's skill set, certainly not from people that see him alot. he's foreign, used to a slower pace (much slower pace), will need a bedding in period, been told he is very technical and is more a great footballer for a defender but he still has alot to learn in the art of defending..especially in the premiership. wort 10 million to be in our squad......but definitely a work in progress , might not hit the ground running. we dont know how it'll work out

caulker:- youth player out on loan, good footballer..decent on ball skills, decent positionally...not significantly better than what we have otherwise i think we would have kept him? plays well for swansea....a team that defends alot through ball retention as opposed to defend assualts...., again might need time to become the force needed to really instil confidence at the back for his team mates and fans. again potentially a squad player and a work in progress

Uvini :- i think this is the one that made me actually smirk out loud a little.........tell me what you know about him and how much you have seen of him. then tell me if he's someone you want to rely on to achieve your goals for our team if he gets called on, which would likely happen judging by our past seasons and defenders getting hurt

Dawson :- Good defender, lacks the pace, athleticism and physical traits of kaboul. but he is a leader at the back and an organiser...DEFINITELY an excellent option to have in the squad

but together? that group is 'plenty' for what we are trying to acheive? i REALLY dont think so IMO. or at least i am not filled with confidence with that group

Vertonghen :- not heard much detailed synopsis on this player's skill set, certainly not from people that see him alot. he's foreign, used to a slower pace (much slower pace), will need a bedding in period, been told he is very technical and is more a great footballer for a defender but he still has alot to learn in the art of defending..especially in the premiership. wort 10 million to be in our squad......but definitely a work in progress , might not hit the ground running. we dont know how it'll work out

Not going to argue with the rest of your post, but I will have to disagree strongly about one. 8)

Vertonghen is bred for this league. He will be one of the best central defenders of the Premier League from the first game, of that I have no doubt at all.
He is a physically strong player, a strong tackler and reader of the game. The people you have 'been told' of him from are making stuff up if the concensus is that he has a lot to learn as a defender. Sure he has, and so have every other defender out there, but he is allready a top, top defender. I'll compare him to Vincent Kompany right away to make you understand what I expect of him. They are equally versatile, equally solid, Kompany has moved to a new level with City this season, but that's a level Vertonghen will reach as well. Kompany will be the first to tell you this himself by the way.

It's hard to convince someone who has not seen a player how good he is and it is equally difficult to know just how well he can adapt to a new league, but I see no other outcome than a huge success with him at Spurs. The whole man is solid, down to earth, hard-working, determined and intelligent. And for that kind of player things go well.

this is going to be one hot summer transfer window for us.
overnight we have a massively ageing squad, and the gaps or lack of cover are everywhere except in the middle of the park.

will our backroom get an overhaul too? fitness, physical conditioning ... AND SET PIECE TRAINING.

plus activity around the new stadium will reach a new high this summer... and the sensitive issue about money and balancing it between on-pitch and off-pitch commitments.

so much to keep us busy in the summer.

this is going to be one hot summer transfer window for us.
overnight we have a massively ageing squad, and the gaps or lack of cover are everywhere except in the middle of the park.

Not sure about that ... If we managed to keep the players we want, first game next season would likely include

Starting - Friedel, Walker, Kaboul, BAE, Lennon, Modric, Sandro, Bale, VDV - subs to include Dawson, Caulker, Parker, Livermore

So 9 first team players, 4 subs, hardly the massive overhaul, or massively aging squad indicated (Friedel the only player of that 13 over 30).

That said, a number of players could be on the way out - Jenas/Bentley/Charlie/Krunchie/Defoe/Ade/Pienaar/Gallas/King/Nelsen/Saha

It will be interesting who come in, but would be surpirsed to see more than 3 first team changes, with 1 or 2 more than would stregthen the bench.

Not going to argue with the rest of your post, but I will have to disagree strongly about one. 8)

Vertonghen is bred for this league. He will be one of the best central defenders of the Premier League from the first game, of that I have no doubt at all.
He is a physically strong player, a strong tackler and reader of the game. The people you have 'been told' of him from are making stuff up if the concensus is that he has a lot to learn as a defender. Sure he has, and so have every other defender out there, but he is allready a top, top defender. I'll compare him to Vincent Kompany right away to make you understand what I expect of him. They are equally versatile, equally solid, Kompany has moved to a new level with City this season, but that's a level Vertonghen will reach as well. Kompany will be the first to tell you this himself by the way.

It's hard to convince someone who has not seen a player how good he is and it is equally difficult to know just how well he can adapt to a new league, but I see no other outcome than a huge success with him at Spurs. The whole man is solid, down to earth, hard-working, determined and intelligent. And for that kind of player things go well.

thanks mate, you've helped me out alot to appreciate why people are excited (or at least those that know what they are talking about and have seen him)

you are probably the second or third person, out of heaven knows how many people saying we should buy him, that has actually said something about him

and it sounds good. enouraging

so he's as solid as vincent kompany is then ? or at least comparatively solid?

we've been burned but too many over hyped players so you're in a position to REALLY educate us about this guy and satisfy some queries

on a scale of 1 to 10..., 8 or 9 being players like kompany and terry and vidic, what is his positioning like for corsses? i.e his ability to be a magnet for crosses into our box? and his ability to compete for headers

same as above, but where 8 or 9 is players like king / gallas / rio, what's his stand stand up game like? facing guys one on one? and his reading of the game and anticipation and pressing of opposition

same again, where 8 or 9 is king / kaboul / campbell in prime, how quick is he? and how athletic is he?

last question ( i promise i'm not taking the tinkle with these cause believe me once you can answer these and give a bit of explanation i think you'll find thats pretty much as detailed as you nromally get on this board when assessing or giving assessment of someone. as opposed to "get him. cause he's good" some of us arent as educated as others in the knowledge of current football players and its always good to get the scooby on them).....

..but anyway last question, how did you think he played against united? has he played like that before? on a regular? or was it a one off?

Manchester United and Saudi Sportswashing Machine are considering making bids for France right-back Mathieu Debuchy after Lille indicated the 26-year-old would be allowed to leave in the summer transfer window, with a ?ú6.5m fee mooted.

Full story: Metro

Spain legend Raul has left German club Schalke, where he became a fans' favourite with 27 goals in 63 Bundesliga appearances, to sign for Qatari side Al Sadd.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Liverpool target Rasmus Elm has warned the Reds he is far from certain to leave his Dutch club AZ Alkmaar in the summer transfer window. The 24-year-old Sweden international says he "feels good at AZ".
Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov

Berbatov moved to Man Utd from Tottenham in 2008

Liverpool are also set to make an offer for Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov, who has made just five Premier League starts this season.

Full story: Caughtoffside.com

Everton want to sign Olympiakos' Hungarian goalkeeper Balazs Megyeri to provide competition for Tim Howard at Goodison Park. The 22-year-old, who is entering the last year of his contract, would cost around ?ú800,000.

OTHER GOSSIP

Sir Alex Ferguson has delivered a worrying message to Manchester United fans by confirming skipper Nemanja Vidic will miss the club's pre-season tour.

Hull City have approached former Leeds and Sheffield United boss Kevin Blackwell about becoming their next manager. The Tigers sacked boss Nick Barmby last week.

AND FINALLY

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has eased fears that England's Kyle Walker is an injury doubt for Euro 2012 by predicting that the full-back, who came off during Tottenham's win over Fulham, would be "dancing in a disco" by Monday night.

Full story: talkSPORT

Dutch hard man Mark van Bommell broke down in tears as he announced that he will leave Italian giants AC Milan and sign for PSV.

Full story: 101 Great Goals

Vertonghen on the negative I have heard he is slow but on the positive he was voted the Dutch player of the season

Back