• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer Transfer Aims

SpurMeUp

Jimmy Cantrell
What should the club's aims be for this transfer window?

• Keep the team together.
  • Upgrade which position/s?
  • What kind of targets do you think Spurs will have and why?
  • Sell to buy a marque signing? Or buy lower value young players with high potential?

Last edited:
Sell no one except Sissoko (and Fazio, Njie and the newly overage academy graduates)

Sign a 6th AM, but particularly one who offers creativity and spark in congested areas

Obviously it would be great to find another Alli or Dier, but I don't have faith in our scouts (have we hired any since the mass clear-out?).

Therefore I'd just spunk all the Sissoko money on Mahrez, then switch off the phones and get our heads down for pre-season

Priorities are
- another decent CB so that Dier can play DM more
- another CM given Dembele's injuries are increasing and he turns 30 this summer (can be a young 'un)
- an attacker with some pace or genuine skill
- being greedy, a punt on some kid

Obviously no departures

New contract for Alderweireld
Sign Sessegnon
Let any player go who doesn't want to stay. Yes, the player won't support us, it's their profession not their passion, but if they are that keen to go, let them. Rather have players who realise that our club is going forwards and want to be part of it and will work tirelessly for the club, than someone who doesn't have the right mentality. Applies to all players.
Bring in replacements for any of those sold on. Look for like for like where possible.

for me, another LB with pace. Fact poch played Son at LWB vs Chelsea to pin Moses back suggest we lack in that area. A fast striker to offer an alternative to Kane and Janssen, prolly a young un and another young mid to groom to Dembele Mk II. To be fair the squad if it stays together is good and difficult beyond depth and spending ridiculous money to improve on.

My worry is that Poch will try something new and our early season form will suffer. If our last four month form had been the same in the first four then we would've won the league, so for me we need to have a really good pre-season where Poch sets out his formation and the starting XI all hit the ground running.

The second point would be to backup our best 13 players with real quality. No more Sissoko, GKN and Janssen, but players of the ability to really challenge Son, Alli and Eriksen. If we expect to offer a challenge to Europes best whilst trying to win the league then we need more. We can't expect to chain together result's with so little quality in depth.

Transfers
Wimmer seems to be on his way out so we need a new CB. Maguire seems to be the name on everyone's lips.

For me we have a decision to make over the CM. I think with Dembele's injury list we need a new CM either this year or next. Winks is currently 3rd choice but who we use to make up the 4th spot is difficult. Sissoko should be sold, but I have some reservation's. Whoever we bring in to be 4th choice can't be expecting too much. To me that mean's we either retain Sissoko and use him as emergency cover or sell him and trust Onomah to be 4th choice. If we don't expect Dembele to last then we maybe need to consider going in for Seri at Rennes.

A new AM that can cover for both Son and Alli. Someone in the Martial/Schick mold that can play off of the striker or as a striker. With Lamela coming back we will have 5 very good attacking midfielders capable of fulfilling a variety of roles. Edwards can be the 6th choice. GKN gets shipped out and Janssen gets a year to save his Spurs career.

We have already sold Bentaleb/Fazio/Carroll/Njie - so that is roughly 30 million in the kitty so if we
Offload Janssen/Sissoko - maybe George We should be able to get in two/three decent players.

If Wimmer wants out I would let him go and get in another third choice. Dier isn't good enough to play CB yet and CCV hasn't shown much (loan) - Onamah needs a loan out as well.

We need someone with real pace in the final third/a Striker with the ability to score goals/someone to challenge Alli/Christian when having a off day

Anything else would be a plus with Winks and Lamela coming back

aother centre back
another left back similar to rose (pace, directness etc)
another centre mid to cover dembele
a game changing player in the front 3 who can open up tight games
a striker with pace

i dont have names but those are the positions.

Bring in youngsters who are ready to compete. keep everyone at the club. pay certain players more

We have already sold Bentaleb/Fazio/Carroll/Njie - so that is roughly 30 million in the kitty so if we
Offload Janssen/Sissoko - maybe George We should be able to get in two/three decent players.

If Wimmer wants out I would let him go and get in another third choice. Dier isn't good enough to play CB yet and CCV hasn't shown much (loan) - Onamah needs a loan out as well.

We need someone with real pace in the final third/a Striker with the ability to score goals/someone to challenge Alli/Christian when having a off day

Anything else would be a plus with Winks and Lamela coming back

That was all accounted for on last summer's expenditure - largely spunked on Sissoko (I'll paste the sums below). So we'll be back to zero (or £5m in the black).

I think most of our summer business depends on how much we can get for Sissoko

Sissoko £30m
Janssen £17m
Wanyama £11m
N'koudou £9m
Lopez (loan to perm) £6m
= £73m

Mason £13m
Chadli £13m
Townsend £12m
Pritchard £8m
Yedlin £5m
Ward £0.5m
Ball nominal
Bentaleb (loan to perm) £17m
Njie (loan to perm) £6m
Fazio (loan to perm) £3.5m
= £78m

In: Romeu, Maguire, Sessegnon.

Out: Sissoko.

343:

----------------------------lloris/lopez/vorm
---------------toby/dier/ccv/---maguire/wimmer---vert/davies
walker/trip----dier/romeu----wanyama/dembele/winks----rose/sessegnon/davies
----------------------eriksen/lamela-----dele/son/n'koudou
-------------------------------kane/janssen

others: walker-peters, onomah, edwards

or 4231:

--------------------------------lloris/lopez/vorm
walker/trip---------toby/maguire-----vert/wimmer------rose/davies/sessegnon
-------------------dier/romeu--------wanyama/dembele/winks
-----eriksen/lamela------------dele/eriksen/lamela/winks---------son/n'koudou
--------------------------------kane/janssen

Priorities are
- another decent CB so that Dier can play DM more
- another CM given Dembele's injuries are increasing and he turns 30 this summer (can be a young 'un)
- an attacker with some pace or genuine skill
- being greedy, a punt on some kid

Obviously no departures

Would tend to agree with all that.

Broader strategy

- Keep the team together
- Improve first team or improve the bench/depth (this to me is the interesting question)

In & Out

- I expect Sissoko, GKN, a few of the loans and a couple of the youth players to move on.

- I'd expect a striker option coming in, another punt on a wing/forward type player and if we can find the right option, cover for Eriksen.

Quite a few decisions to be made on existing players first. Sissoko, GKN, Wimmer, Janssen... What roles are thought for Onomah and Edwards. What will happen with Walker? Others who might want to leave? If Walker leaves a decision to be made on Trippier, is he good enough to be first choice or not?

Main priority to keep as much as possible of the team together. From there strengthen, primarily looking to sign players with the right talent and attitude to develop under Pochettino long term. Then 1-2 players that could step right in and do a great job from day one somewhere in the front 5/6. Less important which positions/roles they play, more important that they fit in very well.

Back